• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How Do You Decide Which Games To Buy And Play?

Processor i5 3470
Motherboard MSI B75A-G43
Cooling Stock intel orb
Memory 2x8 GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 1060 6GB SSC
Storage Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) BenQ BL2411PT
Case Tacens Signum
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG
Power Supply XFX Core 550W
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 300
I watch YT reviews from ACG (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK9_x1DImhU-eolIay5rb2Q) and Jim Sterling (yeah, I know). Back in the day I've also watched TotalBiscuit's (RIP) reviews, but that chapter is sadly closed. In addition to that I also watch Digital Foundry videos to get a better grasp of performance/tech in the game, which is helpful for my console pickings (PS4 slim) and for getting good settings for PC side of things.
I also check steam reviews for the game, which is especially helpful for multiplayer games, early access titles and for judging post-patch situation for older titles. Finally there are also free weekends on Steam and such which saved me from wasting money on a game that sounded good from a reviewers standpoint but somehow it just didn't work for me (*cough* TC Division *cough* TC Wildlands *cough* R6 Siege *cough*).

aliovalio

I usually don't go by reviews as well. I follow a couple of game bloggers (like Eneba) which I kinda like because they don't put their personal opinion into judging the title and just state the facts. Also, youtube helps a ton. I never buy pre-orders (had some hard lessons throughout the years) and I generally make a list of the upcoming games which are definitely on my radar and just wait for at least a month post-release before making my purchase. Usually, a month is a good indicator to see in which direction the game's going, what are the overall opinions, and how the devs are continuing their work with the new release post-launch.

Pretty much this. :)

System Name Small ATX Desktop
Processor Intel i5 8600K @ 4.6 GHz Core & 4.3 GHz Cache @ 1.168V
Motherboard Asrock Z370 Taichi
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE, MonoPlus, Fans: 2xThermalright TY143 / 2xCorsair SP-120L / 2xYate Loon D14BH-12
Memory G-Skill TridentZ 2X8GB DDR4 3200 CL14 F4-3200C14D-16GTZ @ 3200 14-14-14-34 2T @ 1.35V
Video Card(s) Zotac 1060 6GB Mini ZT-P10600A-10L with Arctic MonoPlus and Yate Loon D14BH-12 Fan
Storage OS Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe, Games Phison E12 NVMe 1TB, Data WD10EZEX HDD 1TB
Display(s) 2x Asus PB258Q 2560x1440 25" IPS
Case Lian Li PC A05NB (Inverted Mobo)
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATH M50X, Antlion Mod Mic 4, SYBA SD-CM-UAUD, Acoustic Research 2Ch Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic SS-660XP2 660 Watt Platinum
Mouse Zowie EC2A Mouse, Razer Naga Chroma '14, Corsair MM600, Inateck 900x300 XL pad, Tiger Gaming Skates.
Keyboard Filco Majestouch II Ninja TKL, Goldtouch GTC 0033 Ten Key, PS3 Controller
Software Win7 Pro 64 (Installed on Coffee Lake using AsRock's handy PS/2 Simulator in Bios)
I generally have a few groups of people I play games with online and they are into the same games, we sort of figure out what looks interesting and try it out. I am into the social aspect of it.

I will look at some steam reviews to see if there are complaints about how well it runs. I watch gameplay footage on youtube or twitch made by average people, not professional youtubers/twitchers/influencers, and see if it looks fun.

Robotics

I just only look what crowd playing and watch some on youtube. If it is really good for my feelings then i bought.

About a) - if you like MMO's in general, I can certainly recommend going back to them once in a while. The playerbase definitely changes over time.
Well the reason I go back is the folks treat each other with respect ... boorish behavior occurs but such folks are ostracized as game is very difficult without assistance from others. Often see wave of players from another game come in announcing "our clan gonna talke over this server and there's a cupla weeks of quie cutting, boss steals, etc ... after 6-8 weeks they gone. Crafted gear is far superior to anything otherwise available and if you gonna be a rude boy, you ain't getting any. To anyone else its free-of-charge. Not like ya gonna get ya craft skills up to level 250 in 39 separate skill trees in cupla months. I have been playing on and off for 14 years and still have 8 or so of the 63 skill trees left