• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How Do You Decide Which Games To Buy And Play?

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE
Memory 2x16 GB Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 Rev E @ 3800 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX3080 Ti FE
Storage SX8200 Pro 1 TB, Plextor M6Pro 256 GB, WD Blue 2TB
Display(s) LG 34GN850P-B
Case SilverStone Primera PM01 RGB
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster G6 | Fidelio X2 | Sennheiser 6XX
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 750W
Mouse Endgame Gear XM1R
Keyboard Wooting Two HE
I watch YT reviews from ACG (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK9_x1DImhU-eolIay5rb2Q) and Jim Sterling (yeah, I know). Back in the day I've also watched TotalBiscuit's (RIP) reviews, but that chapter is sadly closed. In addition to that I also watch Digital Foundry videos to get a better grasp of performance/tech in the game, which is helpful for my console pickings (PS4 slim) and for getting good settings for PC side of things.
I also check steam reviews for the game, which is especially helpful for multiplayer games, early access titles and for judging post-patch situation for older titles. Finally there are also free weekends on Steam and such which saved me from wasting money on a game that sounded good from a reviewers standpoint but somehow it just didn't work for me (*cough* TC Division *cough* TC Wildlands *cough* R6 Siege *cough*).

aliovalio

I usually don't go by reviews as well. I follow a couple of game bloggers (like Eneba) which I kinda like because they don't put their personal opinion into judging the title and just state the facts. Also, youtube helps a ton. I never buy pre-orders (had some hard lessons throughout the years) and I generally make a list of the upcoming games which are definitely on my radar and just wait for at least a month post-release before making my purchase. Usually, a month is a good indicator to see in which direction the game's going, what are the overall opinions, and how the devs are continuing their work with the new release post-launch.

Pretty much this. :)

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
I generally have a few groups of people I play games with online and they are into the same games, we sort of figure out what looks interesting and try it out. I am into the social aspect of it.

I will look at some steam reviews to see if there are complaints about how well it runs. I watch gameplay footage on youtube or twitch made by average people, not professional youtubers/twitchers/influencers, and see if it looks fun.

I just only look what crowd playing and watch some on youtube. If it is really good for my feelings then i bought.

About a) - if you like MMO's in general, I can certainly recommend going back to them once in a while. The playerbase definitely changes over time.

Well the reason I go back is the folks treat each other with respect ... boorish behavior occurs but such folks are ostracized as game is very difficult without assistance from others. Often see wave of players from another game come in announcing "our clan gonna talke over this server and there's a cupla weeks of quie cutting, boss steals, etc ... after 6-8 weeks they gone. Crafted gear is far superior to anything otherwise available and if you gonna be a rude boy, you ain't getting any. To anyone else its free-of-charge. Not like ya gonna get ya craft skills up to level 250 in 39 separate skill trees in cupla months. I have been playing on and off for 14 years and still have 8 or so of the 63 skill trees left