• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do you feel about "Cloud Computing"?

What is your usage model for Cloud Computing or do you have one?

• Total voters
After a bit of discussion in this thread;
I thought it might be interesting to see how everyone feels about the subject. The poll allows for up to 5 selections and feel free to join the discussion.

I personally have mixed feelings and opinions on cloud computing and streaming services. I use cloud storage incidentally but prefer to avoid it. I love Youtube but am not a fan of streaming TV shows & movies. I absolutely refuse to stream games on any level. I would rather not game at all then stream games.

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Hm, This is an interesting topic of discussion.

I have trouble understanding what both sides argue. From back when I was a sysadmin then to sysengineer to again where I am now, seeing the otherside really puts into perspective what "Cloud" really is.

Its simply the ability to access an application or service remotely on servers you may or may not manage.

Do you use freeNAS or PLEX at home? Do you stream videos from those servers or sync documents to the Owncloud or Nextcloud you host on a spare machine in your closet? Congrats, you are using the "cloud".

I really could go on forever but im in the middle of dinner. I do not use and will never use certain applications that utilize the cloud....such as gaming. However the "Cloud" is much more than end user applications. Even in the IT infrastructure world the "cloud" be it Azure/AWS/GCP and its related service O365/GSuite/Sharepoint probably run one or many if not all of the employers you have ever worked for.

In the early 2ks we were all about multi-server infrastructures and HA (High availability). Then in the mid 2ks we were wow'd by leaps in virtualization. Now we are taking Virtualization to the cloud to run multiple as in hundreds and sometimes even thousands of servers to help deliver products, or simply keep them private and leverage them as tools for internal workforce. Some even rent cluster space to mine bitcoin, or run scientific calculations.

I do think the "cloud" is huge, but it is very much what you make it. Cloud infrastructure and services are here to stay. Cloud SaaS like o365 Gsuite are also here to stay. Other things may follow suite like gaming etc. It at first wont be as predominant or as needed as say word. But the market is their for some.

Will offline backup or private/on prem servers or services always exist? I think so. No doubt that alot of services will offer something to someone via the "cloud" though.

Remember though, all context. "Cloud" existed long before some of these platforms.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
Do you use freeNAS or PLEX at home? Do you stream videos from those servers or sync documents to the Owncloud or Nextcloud you host on a spare machine in your closet? Congrats, you are using the "cloud".

In regards to this thread, I don't consider anything I 100% control (location, hardware, management, access, etc) the cloud. AWS, Azure and the like, most certainly the cloud and I prefer not to use them if I can. Obviously, as a home internetz user, I have limited choices of what I can do and I am not running all my stuff in a DMZ co-located with my personal network. I would absolutely love to get a second line into my house but I just don't have the justification to pay for it.

I know many companies that make use of Azure AD.

For me, no. Too much hassle and irritation. Building a standalone system and the network, wired or not, to service it is not worth the added expense when I could simply buy an extra drive for the systems in question and copy over the files to said drive. Don't have to worry about network congestion or making shares for some but not for all or managing network authoritatives.

or run scientific calculations.
This is an excellent use case scenario for cloud computing.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
In regards to this thread, I don't consider anything I 100% control (location, hardware, management, access, etc) the cloud. AWS, Azure and the like, most certainly the cloud and I prefer not to use them if I can. Obviously, as a home internetz user, I have limited choices of what I can do and I am not running all my stuff in a DMZ co-located with my personal network. I would absolutely love to get a second line into my house but I just don't have the justification to pay for it.

I know many companies that make use of Azure AD.

Yup and I can see where you are coming from, thats how it is for most I think when it comes to arguing against it. Like I said I am neither for or against some of the "products" but thats all they are. Cloud is a "tool" more than it is a "thing". If that makes sense. Or atleast if you think about it like that, it gives it a bit of clarity when trying to make decisions on what you really like or dislike given the extra context.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Yup and I can see where you are coming from, thats how it is for most I think when it comes to arguing against it. Like I said I am neither for or against some of the "products" but thats all they are. Cloud is a "tool" more than it is a "thing". If that makes sense.

I agree. It's not that I am against them, I just don't want to use them. They have valid use cases for people (even for me) but just not my preference if I don't have to. I use both AWS and Azure for work.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
It's not that I am against them, I just don't want to use them.

That was careless of me to word it like that. I was not trying to make assumptions, but you certainly did hit the nail on the head of another big juxtaposition the arguments for or against seldom seem to tackle.

To want to use them and to be against "it" are two different points of view. Its technically 4 different arguments.

for or against a product

and for or against the/a product being SaaS on the "cloud"

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Local is faster by far plus you dont ave to worry about a cloud server going down if data is local.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
That was careless of me to word it like that. I was not trying to make assumptions, but you certainly did hit the nail on the head of another big juxtaposition the arguments for or against seldom seem to tackle.

I didn't take it that way. :) I was pretty sure I knew what you meant, more just clarifying my position.

Exactly. However, what we all should actively resist is the forceful requirement of cloud usage. We have already seen this with software such as Adobe products, and as a form of DRM with games.

They can require whatever they want. I just won't use the product provided that I don't agree with what they are doing.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I prefer backups to my server, but absolutely critical data and photos are also synced with One Drive, which has never given me any trouble and also syncs with my phone.

I do stream movies from Netflix and Amazon, but my preferred movie and TV show storage and streaming is my own home server.

It's also where I keep an extra copy of every GOG game I own...just in case.

So, predominately a local network guy, but I see some uses for the cloud and use them.

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
Everything local. Cloud services limited as much as possible. I can make exceptions, but I have a few rules:
*Work-related stuff must remain either local or inside internal network. No cloud services allowed, only exception being government-provided and/or mandated services (some tax filing and certain information requests are done online today)
*No game-streaming (DRM and always-online games are enough of a pain already)
*If it is bandwidth intensive, avoid it (I have a 250 GB cap)

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Those aren't clouds, they're servers.

You can tell something is cloud versus not because when you're running software, you can't point to a specific machine and say "it is running on that one" without doing a lot of research to figure out which instance is running on which hardware. Clouds are virtualization to the extreme: take a request, find available and suitable hardware, fulfill the request, then synchronize with the cloud informing others what transpired. It's redundant and flexible.

Clouds are great for general compute and storage but anything personal or high security shouldn't go on them. They're a great way for businesses to flexibly service clients and a way for individuals to not lose documents that would cost a fortune to rebuild but not a big deal if stolen.

About the only cloud I use on a regular basis is Steam Cloud for game save data. Woe is me when a game doesn't use it and I discover that after the fact (Wolfenstein: The New Order was my latest discovery).

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Local is faster by far plus you dont ave to worry about a cloud server going down if data is local.

OTOH the (good) providers are guaranteed to have better backup systems than you. Depending a whole lot on the specifics obciously, but I trust Onedrive a whole lot more than my hard drives.

Those aren't clouds, they're servers.

You can tell something is cloud versus not because when you're running software, you can't point to a specific machine and say "it is running on that one" without doing a lot of research to figure out which instance is running on which hardware. Clouds are virtualization to the extreme: take a request, find available and suitable hardware, fulfill the request, then synchronize with the cloud informing others what transpired. It's redundant and flexible.

Clouds are great for general compute and storage but anything personal or high security shouldn't go on them. They're a great way for businesses to flexibly service clients and a way for individuals to not lose documents that would cost a fortune to rebuild but not a big deal if stolen.

About the only cloud I use on a regular basis is Steam Cloud for game save data. Woe is me when a game doesn't use it and I discover that after the fact (Wolfenstein: The New Order was my latest discovery).

I feel like you are talking about the end users perspective and sol's talking about the providers perspective. All of that redundancy and synchronizing has to be defined. It's not a black box.

I really prefer cloud service for everything since it's safer than local storage when everything goes fubar. Even for gaming I can imagine it will be great for simpler single player games when the latency is cut down. 60ms is not a big deal when playing skyrim for CSGO it would be absolute shit for sure.

plus you dont ave to worry about a cloud server going down if data is local.

I think otherwise with current redundancy in the cloud, if your local system goes bad you are f'ed but when using cloud services it will just fire up another instance. A server might catch fire and you wouldn't even notice with stuff like AWS.

I really prefer cloud service for everything since it's safer than local storage when everything goes fubar. Even for gaming I can imagine it will be great for simpler single player games when the latency is cut down. 60ms is not a big deal when playing skyrim for CSGO it would be absolute shit for sure.

I think otherwise with current redundancy in the cloud, if your local system goes bad you are f'ed but when using cloud services it will just fire up another instance. A server might catch fire and you wouldn't even notice with stuff like AWS.
And what do you do when you don't have an internet connection? Or if your account gets hacked? As for safety, that depends on your perspective. Privacy and data security are a thing.

And what do you do when you don't have an internet connection? Or if your account gets hacked? As for safety, that depends on your perspective. Privacy and data security are a thing.
Well my internet uptime is as good as my energy grid uptime so that would not matter if it was local or remote. And well yeah if your account gets hacked than you have some other thing to worry about first , like choosing better MFA methods and passwords in general, if you are that careless your local system is likely to be bricked by ransomware as well.

All the what if's for data security also account for local systems.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I feel like you are talking about the end users perspective and sol's talking about the providers perspective. All of that redundancy and synchronizing has to be defined. It's not a black box.
the computers and connections that support cloud computing
Note the plural forms of the words. Singular is a server. Many related servers is a cluster. A cluster with abstraction (virtualization) is a cloud.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M-S2H
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix OEM DDR4-3200 @ 3666 18-20-18-36
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H1 x64
I don't prefer to use cloud storage especially private stuff, the only time I use is to store my work-related documents on Dropbox so I could retrieve them anywhere. For videos I don't mind YouTube, but if there is something I'm gonna watch I prefer it to be on local storage. My country streaming is still poor and a lot of buffering.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11

He’s being difficult he also didn’t read that far head and not figure out I know what the cloud is. That’s the problem with cloud related arguments.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
I run my own cloud server from home synced in a few locations. I have a combination of Resilio Sync (a torrent based system) and sftp.
I get a huge amount of storage space along with encrypted nodes/backups at a couple of other locations. It works great for syncing my camera roll as well as having general dropbox like properties.

If I need to share my files with other people, I can copy it over to a file hosting system manually. One of my biggest gripes with cloud storage is the time it take to index the files during each boot, with google drive and dropbox, my files generally aren't ready for 15-30 minutes after a cold boot.

D

Deleted member 158293

For commercial purposes, cloud servers makes work quite a bit easier and is generally accepted practice. I stay far away from them for personal use though.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I have no problem with streaming from the cloud.

I do not and will not backup any of my sensitive data to the cloud. I do not believe it will get lost. In fact, I believe the opposite - there will quickly become more copies of it everywhere, most that I am not aware of, and many that I cannot delete even if I want to delete it! And I see that as a big problem.

I do not believe the cloud service providers will EVER be competent enough, or sincere enough to ensure my data is not hacked or compromised by badguys. Another big problem and reason I will not put my stuff there.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
I have no problem with streaming from the cloud.

I do not and will not backup any of my sensitive data to the cloud. I do not believe it will get lost. In fact, I believe the opposite - there will quickly become more copies of it everywhere, most that I am not aware of, and many that I cannot delete even if I want to delete it! And I see that as a big problem.

I do not believe the cloud service providers will EVER be competent enough, or sincere enough to ensure my data is not hacked or compromised by badguys. Another big problem and reason I will not put my stuff there.

Ditto here. I know enough in this field to be afraid of any kind of privacy guarantees.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Privacy is one thing. Security it another. If you backup your computer, emails, and other sensitive data to the cloud, there could be account numbers, passwords, social security numbers, phone numbers and addresses in there too.