1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do you use 2 OS's at the same time

Discussion in 'General Software' started by effmaster, Apr 6, 2008.

1. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it possible to use to separate OSs on the same Windows computer?
    As in can I say have Windows Vista and Windows XP both installed on the same harddrive and then when I turn on my PC I can choose which OS I want to load up sort of like Apples Boot Camp?
    I am really considering this and would love some ideas and confirmations/denials as to if I can do this or if it could be possible in the coming years for MS OSs

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. erocker

erocker Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have two partitions with a different OS installed on each, when you stat-up, it automatically gives you the option to choose between one or the other.:)

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    Yes you can...

Id reccommend setting it up from scratch on a large harddrive.
    Make a partition for each OS...

Install XP on first partition, then install vista on the 2nd partition.
    when you start the PC you will get a boot screen asking you what you want to load up (XP or Vista).

I just did it for the first time on friday night.. and was very easy to setup ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you can do that. install the older OS first (XP) and then vista and it gives you an option when booting.

My preferred option is to install both to seperate hard drives and choose which one to boot from through my motherboards bios. Google will get you guides on how to do any of the options you choose.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Partitions?:wtf:
    How do you partition a harddrive? Sorry but thats something I have never done before. Can partitioning your harddrive also help with performance on a computer?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
    10 Year Member at TPU
  6. philbrown23

philbrown23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    when you boot from an o/s disk it will give you the option to make a partition, I just use 3 hdd's 1 for vista, 1 for xp, and one for storage. As far as I have encountered there is no performance gain from dual booting or partitioning.

7. EiAh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Use a Windows Partitioning tool. IIRC, PartitionMagic (the trial) will allow you to partition your drive.

After It's partitioned, you can go into windows setup, and format the new partition, and install your new OS on it.

And to answer your question, No, partitioning your hard drive won't give you any performance boost because you're just taking away from it's original size.