• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How does Xeon E 5645 2.4 GHz compare to i-7 2600K 3.4 GHz ?

dan99t

First let me Thank You all for taking so much interest & a great debate.

I also would like to explain what I am using this system for so that it would narrow down to what I need to upgrade.

I am using this machine for stock market trading. I bought T-7500 because it has 5 PCIe x 16 slots so I can connect multi monitor to it. I have one stock chart on each monitor & each chart has 30 Variables ( Indicators ). Those charts stay on those monitors all day long. Each chart receives data every mili second & does calculations & keeps showing updated indicators & updated price chart.

I have 3 ATI FirePro 2460 Video Cards, each has 4 Mini Display Ports for 4 monitors. Thus I can run 12 Monitors.

There is only one Xeon E 5645 CPU.

So is it Hard drive ( SSD or Regular ) OR the CPU OR RAM that needs to be upgraded ?

Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97i Plus
Cooling Antec Kuhler 620 + Gentle Typhoon 3000RPM
Memory A-DATA XPG V2 DDR3-2400 16GB
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Storage Samsung 850 Ev0 500GB
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 @100Hz
Case Silverstone SG13
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone SX-500LG
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Not interested in benchmarks
Ok, the CPU you currently have is a 6 core nehalem based 2.4Ghz one which is slower than a quad core 2600k even if you use all 6 cores at once because of architectural improvements in 2600k. But it's not THAT slow if it uses all its cores. Remember, that's 6 cores vs 4 cores.

First of all, figure out how much the CPU is being utilized. Does it use all its cores at the same time? Or does it use only one or two? Look at Task Manager and note down the CPU utilization. If only one or two cores are being used, 2600K will be at least 1.6 or so faster than your Xeon.

If you don't see your hard drives busy when you notice the slowdowns, the SSD won't improve your situation (not that it won't improve the overall experience).

Also note down how much RAM you use. Use task manager again.

dan99t

Ok, the CPU you currently have is a 6 core nehalem based 2.4Ghz one which is slower than a quad core 2600k even if you use all 6 cores at once because of architectural improvements in 2600k. But it's not THAT slow if it uses all its cores. Remember, that's 6 cores vs 4 cores.

First of all, figure out how much the CPU is being utilized. Does it use all its cores at the same time? Or does it use only one or two? Look at Task Manager and note down the CPU utilization. If only one or two cores are being used, 2600K will be at least 1.6 or so faster than your Xeon.

If you don't see your hard drives busy when you notice the slowdowns, the SSD won't improve your situation (not that it won't improve the overall experience).

Also note down how much RAM you use. Use task manager again.

THank you again.

I will try to look at task manager when markets are live on Monday.