• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How G-Sync and FreeSync differ right deep down inside

Which is better at doing the job, G-Sync or FreeSync?

• Total voters
System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
So what? It doesn't matter. When you go below 40 Hz you start getting visual artifacts. Does it work below 40 Hz? Yep it does. Will it look good? Nope. But AMD won't tell you that because you won't support their product like you are now.

Until we actually SEE tests of Freesync conducted with displays that can refresh below 40Hz, we won't know that. Variable syncing doesn't work like V-Sync though, so I tend to think anything down to 30Hz would be plausible, esp considering those would likely be only momentary dips, not hovering at that range. If it hovers at that range consistently it's obvious we are talking a gamer who's tried to bite off more tech than they can afford on the GPU end of the spectrum.

Even if you're right though, you still somewhat substantiate my point, because even 40Hz is well below the current 48Hz limited displays that support Freesync. It was suggested in the Anandtech comparison review that for avid gamers buying into this kind of tech, 45-60 FPS would be the sweet spot to shoot for. For the average gamer looking for a new display and not minding the slight extra for a Freesync capable display, I would guess the acceptable range would be more likely 40-60 FPS. There's ALWAYS going to be new high stress games that push your hardware though, so it helps to have a display and sync tech that is flexible.

The point I've made consistently here though, is that reviews like the PC Per one only talk about performance based on tests limited to 48Hz on the Freesync side of the equation, which in itself is too biased and premature to even be comprehensive. Not accounting for lack of proper monitors to test with is quite unprofessional, esp for a site that calls themselves PC "Perspective". If anything it's NOT a perspective viewpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
the PC Per one only talk about performance based on tests limited to 48Hz on the Freesync side of the equation,
In their video, they clearly show the Free-Sync monitor working perfectly well till 39 Hz. They start seeing problems below that refresh rate.

In their video, they clearly show the Free-Sync monitor working perfectly well till 39 Hz. They start seeing problems below that refresh rate.

There argument is based on 3hz differences which doesn't involve VRRW at all.

Adaptive-Sync + FreeSync = 39hz cut off
G-Sync = 36hz cut off

There more hung up on the frame doubling aspect more then anything.

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
At low FPS:
g-sync = better, at least esthetically, no idea if it ads lag or if you can sens this lag
freesync= under the refresh rate of the monitor is none existing

High FPS:
g-sync= it limits you to the refresh rate of the monitor
freesync= better (maybe), at list if you have the hardware to push the FPS it can go over the refresh rate of your monitor (better for competitive play)

At low FPS, it won't add lag. If say game is running 25fps, Freesync will go as low as 40hz refresh stop and stay there so you will get tearing. G-sync will double the refresh rate of panel to 50hz and show same image 2 times in a row. Reasons for this is panel can only go so long between the image refresh before you start getting flickering or even causing damage to the panel.

At high FPS, freesync yea does disable v-sync but you do get tearing which IMO defeats the point of even buying a VRR in the first place. Even with v-sync on at 144hz and input latency would only me like 7ms aka .007seconds so less you are a pro competitive gamers don't believe its gonna be an issue.

Honestly, the low frame rate thing is overblown. Look how long G-Sync has been on the market and how few manufacturers are supporting it. Freesync is relatively new and has already been adopted by VESA, which G-Sync hasn't mind you.

Freesync is a proprietary use of the adaptive sync spec that was adopted.

Yeah. A lot of people in forums are like, "It works at 9 Hz. G-Sync can't do that." I am like, "Who the bloody hell pays over 400$ for a monitor only to play below 25 Hz?" It's crazy!

The adaptive sync spec Allows for 9hz but problem is, No panel can go that low without damage or flickering.

No it doesn't. Do you think NVIDIA and AMD engineers are morons? You need a chip very close and properly attuned to the display to make frame doubling work. If frame doubling could be done properly in software NVIDIA and AMD would have done so already. But they haven't.

G-sync does do frame doubleing if you watched that video. G-sync module has 768mb of ram on it so it stores the frame data to do doubling. AMD will have to do it in their drivers.

There argument is based on 3hz differences which doesn't involve VRRW at all.

Adaptive-Sync + FreeSync = 39hz cut off
G-Sync = 36hz cut off

There more hung up on the frame doubling aspect more then anything.

freesync goes down to 40hz then stops and stays at that, g-sync starts to do double frame being show using last one it got. AMD would have to do that in driver. that 36hz cut off could be cause the panel, since they only have 1 g-sync in this can't confirm it.
They were showing using an old meter so show refresh rate of what tech does and how it reacts going down to low refresh rates.

If you're gaming at under 25-40fps, fu** the 'sync' monitor, get yourself a proper graphics card.

^ would second that, or turn some options down a bit.

Last edited:
freesync goes down to 40hz then stops and stays at that, g-sync starts to do double frame being show using last one it got. AMD would have to do that in driver. that 36hz cut off could be cause the panel, since they only have 1 g-sync in this can't confirm it.
They were showing using an old meter so show refresh rate of what tech does and how it reacts going down to low refresh rates.

That is the thing. Variable Refresh Rate between the two work the same. The difference is G-Sync module has a (Panel Self Refresh) algorithm/mechanism at the low end. Another thing they borrowed from the VESA standards.

What would be ideal is to make VESA eDP 1.4a standards compatible with stand alone monitors and we could have blur free, self refreshing, VRR monitors.

If you go back and look at VESA adaptive-sync promo

It could be these first modules don't have all the features yet either.

Last edited:
Isn't frame doubling a problem for something like a 1st person shooter?

EDIT: I guess your going to have problems with FPS games at those lower frame rates anyway as its not updating as frequently.

Last edited:
Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK

It's not a 40Hz limitation of Freesync like you make it sound, it's because the monitor they used only went as low as 40Hz for VRR use. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that one monitor though, esp since this tech is so new. OC.net has a review on a BenQ XL2730Z, which is SUPPOSED to have a 25Hz bottom end, but officially it only supports 40Hz-144Hz for VRR.

"As far as refresh rates are concerned the monitor appears to have a range of 25hz to 144hz while using the DP connection, using dual link dvi the monitor appears to be limited to 60hz at 2560x1440 which is unfortunate; since the big feature being freesync on this monitor, which is only supported using the DP connection, this is mostly a non-issue. I hope that this does in fact lead to the limits for freesync being 40-144hz or possibly 30-144 hz with this panel. The VRR range for this monitor is officially 40-144hz."

Source: http://www.overclock.net/t/1546860/first-hands-on-experience-with-benq-xl2730z

It's like when 120Hz monitors first came out, many were only sometimes OCable to that range, but didn't guarantee it.

I give credit for these guys trying to be honest and professional, but IMO they never look or sound it whenever I watch their videos, which is seldom. Just the fact that the guy on the right spent the first 40 sec talking like he was intimidated, then put off by an "analog" scope being used, was laughable. Trust me, there will be many more low refresh monitors made that support Freesync now that VESA has adopted it.

As I've said before, the main difference between these guys and more knowledgeable sites that actually HAVE techs, is the others have the insight to know this is just a temp issue common to any new tech that isn't fully supported yet. They claim they are the only ones pointing out the poor performance below the monitor's refresh range, but they aren't. Anandtech and others have noted it as well, but the difference is, they knew it was just a lack of suitable displays supporting it for now.

As I've said before, the main difference between these guys and more knowledgeable sites that actually HAVE techs, is the others have the insight to know this is just a temp issue common to any new tech that isn't fully supported yet.

They are pointing out the present issue. I don't remember them ever saying that this problem will remain going forward. It's common sense that this will no longer be a problem as tech matures.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
FreeSync uses VESA's Adaptive-Sync standard which is open and royalty free. I don't care if G-Sync has a better implementation currently, the Adaptive-Sync capabilities of DisplayPort 1.2a and newer are the way to go. NVIDIA should jump on the bandwagon. The last thing we need is monitors that only work with NVIDIA graphics cards. Monitors should be advertised as Adaptive-Sync or not, not FreeSync/G-SYNC. Until that happens, I'll pass.

That aside, it appears there is no argument: G-SYNC has the better implementation. Being able to go under a monitor's minimum refresh rate is far more important to me than being able to exceed its maximum.

Last edited:
System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
While gaming the important thing is consistence for suspension of disbelief to really work ... anything that yanks you out of the experience of "being there" is bad in my book.
So, g-sync more consistent approach seems better to me ... for now, at least, until panel manufacturers start making beefier
Holy sh*t Alan Malvantano looks like a paedo ...that stare..
Yeah. And the way he sits still. It's creepy. It's like he is a zombie or something.
It's you two who are creepy with these kind of remarks.

It sounds to me like there needs to be an open standard for Variable Refresh Rate. Having proprietary implementations from NVIDIA and AMD is ridiculous. I wouldn't buy either. I think variable refresh rate should be included in the 1.4 version of DisplayPort.

Standards are there since DP 1.2a.

VESA Diplayport 1.3 FAQ said:
Q: Is VESA’s new AdaptiveSync supported?
A: Yes. AdaptiveSync was first supported by DisplayPort 1.2a, and it is already supported in some available products. This is also branded as “Free-Sync” from AMD, which is based on VESA’s AdaptiveSync Standard.

Its hardware & feature support that needs to catch up.

DP 1.3 also included improved vblanking standards

AMDGaming on Twitter - We’re excited to welcome @ASUS and their new 27" WQHD gaming monitor to the #FreeSync family!

PCPerspective - ASUS MG279Q Monitor Now Officially a FreeSync Monitor

Last edited:

Ebo

System Name the little fart
Processor AMD Ryzen 2600X
Motherboard MSI x470 gaming plus
Cooling Noctua NH-C14S
Memory 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2400Mhz DDR 4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX Vega 56 Pulse
Storage 1 Crucial MX100 512GB SSD,1 Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, 1 1,5TB WD Black Caviar, 1 4TB WD RED HD
Display(s) IIyama XUB2792QSU IPS 2560x1440
Case White Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar SE pci-e card
Power Supply Thermaltake DPS G 1050 watt Digital PSU
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software windows 10 64 pro bit
The way I choose to look at it is.

AMD got the ball on this, since

1. Free sync is new and only a few screens have come out yet.

2. Free sync have allready been adopted by the top 3 screen manufactures

3. Its an open standard that dosent require a lot extra money for the manufacture to use instead of G-sync that needs extra hardware in the screen to work.

4. G-sync only works on Nvidia cards(as I understand it)

Processor i7-13700k
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
3. Its an open standard that dosent require a lot extra money for the manufacture to use instead of G-sync that needs extra hardware in the screen to work.

4. G-sync only works on Nvidia cards(as I understand it)

3. Freesync is based on an open standard but still is AMD made solution using the standard in a proprietary way. Reason freesync only just came out was they needed a new hardware for the monitor to work, just like g-sync module.

4. freesync only work on certain AMD gpu's, (290(x), 260(x), 285, 295x2 for their dedicated).

There are a few issues freesync needs to address and work on, like ghosting issue it does have that doesn't happen in g-sync. No its not the panel that is the problem which most people jump on as the problem, its a voltage control issue that freesync monitors need to control better.

There are a few issues freesync needs to address and work on, like ghosting issue it does have that doesn't happen in g-sync. No its not the panel that is the problem which most people jump on as the problem, its a voltage control issue that freesync monitors need to control better.

TFTCentral reviews of G-Sync monitors say otherwise.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/acer_xb270hu/od_comparison2.jpg

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/acer_xb270hu/pursuit_3.jpg

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/acer_xb270hu/pursuit_overdrive.jpg

Adjusting the settings will improve it. At the same time it will increase the monitors Response Time.

It's been pointed out to Allyn in the comments and in other forums and he still hasnt had a response to why he made the comparison that the BenQ and Asus RoG Swift had the same panel nor why the LG was compared while its rated at a higher G2G.

They didnt even bother to test Response Timing of the panels. The assumption was if it said 1ms on the box they were equal. Thats the kind of comparison i'd expect from BestBuy or Walmart.

Last edited:
It's not a 40Hz limitation of Freesync like you make it sound, it's because the monitor they used only went as low as 40Hz for VRR use. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in that one monitor though, esp since this tech is so new. OC.net has a review on a BenQ XL2730Z, which is SUPPOSED to have a 25Hz bottom end, but officially it only supports 40Hz-144Hz for VRR.

While I get the gist of your posts, I just want to point out that the rog swift was also the first g-sync monitor out. So being it was the 'newest tech' at the time, this could be a fair comparison actually.

However, I believe that the freesync monitors will be great once they get the refresh rate down to the low 20's for the min. Don't know why you would want to game at that fps as the time between frames is horrendous, but to each his own (and I get why you would want it for some games that aren't fast twitch, but I come from a crt ftw background :p).

But nvidia does have the better solution. Frame doubling is actually a great solution for low refresh rates, so until really low refresh rate freesync monitors come along, nvidia will be winning.

Processor i7-13700k
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
But nvidia does have the better solution. Frame doubling is actually a great solution for low refresh rates, so until really low refresh rate freesync monitors come along, nvidia will be winning.
It would be something AMD would have to do in drivers, and tell monitor its 2x what it is. However if you have a monitor that is 40-75hz, well would be a bit hard to do that. IMO if are getting to that 40fps range, its time to cut down some graphic settings and bring that fps up a bit or buy a better video card.

Right now it doesn't seem Adaptive-Sync+FreeSync monitors have the buffer in the T-Con. At least no-one has open one up yet to confirm it. Adaptive-Sync+FreeSync doesn't need to do frame pacing prediction like G-Sync is doing to pace out the lower end frames in order to tell the buffer on the module when to insert the duplicate.

Adaptive-Sync+FreeSync just switches Off below VRR. Depending on your V-Sync on/off settings that's what you'll get

G-Sync switches to prediction mode below VRR to predict how to pace the duplicate frames.

Which I suspect is why G-Sync monitor still have that Flicker issue due to the prediction method. Where Adaptive-Sync+FreeSync monitors don't have that issue.

Last edited:
Nice video!

They didn't mention that if AMD would do it in their drivers (from software), it would need to use VRAM to store the additional frames. I know it wouldn't be much ofc, but still... it could be important.

I personally find Nvidia's approach much more elegant again (and please believe me I'm not a fanboy of anybody, I would really love to like more something from AMD too, but it just not happening for almost a decade now, except their APUs perhaps:/). Low fps-dips are happening a lot(!) in gaming. I personally don't see much difference beyond 100-110fps (I play Quakeworld at 144Hz and there is a little bit more fluidity indeed, but nothing ground breaking I couldn't live without. I frag just as much with 100fps as with 144), but I see any low dips in any game immediately! If the monitor could really do a nice smooth transition like how Nvidia and this video claims, it will be one of the very best things happened in gaming tech for many years imho.

Last edited:
Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK

That's like saying Wonder has the better bread because it's sliced, and this other loaf in the brown bag that was just baked isn't. :rolleyes:

When are you guys going to get a clue that it's not Freesync itself, it's that it's brand new and not fully supported yet hardware wise.

Once it is, there will be no comparison. Expensive G-Sync displays will be sitting on shelves with no one buying them, except for a handful of Nvidia elitist, and that's IF Nvidia remain stubborn about adopting Freesync.

And to those whom are siding with G-Sync for now, some even contradicting that by saying Nvidia should adopt Freesync, why are you acting like the min refresh is such a big deal? If it were really THAT hard to make lower refresh monitors than what are currently available, do you think VESA would have even adopted Freesync as a standard? VESA do their research, there is a LOT riding on their decisions. The standards they adopt can literally make or break certain businesses.

Theres no reason Nvidia can't support adaptive sync (freesync), it's just that they refuse too.

why are you acting like the min refresh is such a big deal? If it were really THAT hard to make lower refresh monitors than what are currently available, do you think VESA would have even adopted Freesync as a standard?

Sorry to be so curious, but do you even know what are you talking about? Why do you think there is a minimum refresh rate set for every LCD monitor in the market? You lit a pixel for too long on the panel without refreshing it and colors and whatnot starts to drift pretty bad. There is a minimum refresh rate there to ensure image quality (sorry to break it to you like this, but some of us still finds that important here). If technology will allow it, they will make monitors with lower minimum refresh-rates ofc, but that day is yet to come for the mainstream market. Until then, enjoy your jerkiness and judders because of fps drops in heavily multiplayer games.

Last edited:
Sorry to be so curious, but do you even know what are you talking about? Why do you think there is a minimum refresh rate set for every LCD monitor in the market? You lit a pixel for too long on the panel without refreshing it and colors and whatnot starts to drift pretty bad. There is a minimum refresh rate there to ensure image quality (sorry to break it to you like this, but some of us still finds that important here). If technology will allow it, they will make monitors with lower minimum refresh-rates ofc, but that day is yet to come for the mainstream market. Until then, enjoy your jerkiness and judders because of fps drops in heavily multiplayer games.

Just FYI.

The Asus RoG Swift is 50hz-144hz. You can say G-Sync is under driving it. The entire notion of not damaging the panel goes out the window when your operating it under the limits, does it not ?

Last edited:
Just FYI.

The Asus RoG Swift is 50hz-144hz. You can say G-Sync is under driving it. The entire notion of damaging the panel goes out the window when your operating it under the limits, does it not ?
I never said damaging the panel anywhere, so idk why did you quoted my post. But to answer you, 50Hz is pretty far from what I was talking about, it would happen around 15-20Hz depending on the panel, but never the less, just one frame of a huge fps dip and you have "jump" on a FreeSync monitor. Don't get me wrong please, it's far from the end of the world ofc, I understand it's way blown out when you think about it like that, and I think Freesync is really great, props to AMD for taking a stand on the issue. All I'm saying (and said), if you compare the two technologies (on a tech enthusiast site like our beloved TPU): "I personally find Nvidia's approach much more elegant again".

I never said damaging the panel anywhere, so idk why did you quoted my post. But to answer you, 50Hz is pretty far from what I was talking about, it would happen around 15-20Hz depending on the panel, but never the less, just one frame of a huge fps dip and you have "jump" on a FreeSync monitor. Don't get me wrong please, it's far from the end of the world ofc, I understand it's way blown out when you think about it like that, and I think Freesync is really great, props to AMD for taking a stand on the issue. All I'm saying (and said), if you compare the two technologies (on a tech enthusiast site like our beloved TPU): "I personally find Nvidia's approach much more elegant again".

I was too vague I guess but it was on the line of comparisons

AdaptiveSyn+FreeSync work within the monitors limits 40-144hz or 48-75hz depending on monitor.

Gsync dips below the monitors limits 50-144hz. Your paying a $200 premium for your monitor to be under driven below spec (Which may have to do with all the quality control issues Asus had to deal with) which causes flickering and can be reproduced by taking in-game screenshots

PCPerspective said:
EVE Online does this exact thing while taking an in-game screen shot, so we used that for our initial testing.

It would be ideal if at the minimal monitor hz a panel self-refresh would kick in but not exceed above the minimal variable refresh rate window. You'd eliminate the prediction G-Sync is doing along with the un desired dipping and spiking into the variable refresh rate window and its drawbacks.

The only thing left to add would be eDP 1.3 backlight control.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Interesting comparison, but most games don't run at a constant frame rate and the real question is how can FreeSync or GSync absorb smaller latency changes that occur a lot and to varying degrees as opposed to wide (and constant) changes that really are only momentary.

So while it was interesting, I don't think it's enough for me to say much of anything about one or the other. It's only an interesting observation.