• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How get room filling sound

bobbob

Hi, all! Considering a lot of what I'm reading here is well beyond me, I'm hoping I can get some accurate info regarding an audio-illiterate question. I appreciate quality sound but am not that familiar with what hw/sw is behind it. I have Altec Lansing 621 speakers (2.1). On my XP (which died) with VIA Vinyl AC'97 drivers and no enhancements, the audio quality was adequate for me but the thing I really liked was that the sound totally filled the room (house) even rattling windows. The bass output was so great that I had the subwoofer level turned all the way down. The bass sounded as though it was coming from the subwoofer. Now I have an i3 Windows 7 Home Premium x64 with Realtek HD drivers (R263 now but I've tried R259 that came preloaded and MS's generic HD). While the sound is a little cleaner and crisper, all the sound (including the bass) comes only from the satellites and literally drops less than 2 feet from the speakers. There's no bass oomph even with the subwoofer level turned all the way up. Since I don't know what was responsible on the XP for that room filling sound, I want to know (before I buy) will a sound card (I've always just used onboard) provide that or is there something else with my new system that is stopping the ability? Also, if a sound card is the answer, I would appreciate any suggestions as to the best one for my situation:
2.1 speakers
want to fill room (don't game or care that much about headphone use)
might optionally like to simulate surround upon occasion

Thanks!

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
yep if you using winamp you can try some effect, exp like this

System Name Old Skool
Processor E6750 @ 3.6 ghz
Motherboard GA P35 DS3L
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283v
Memory 4gb Kingston DDR2 @ 900mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 9800GT 512MB
Storage SAMSUNG 320gb
Display(s) VIEWSONIC vx2260wm
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Realtek (on board) + Logitech x540
Power Supply CM 550w
Software W7 Ultimate 64
Well again if you are using Winamp, there's a plugin I just can't live without, its Dfx Enhancer. Quite good if you want some good sound from a standard sound card.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
multiple large component speakers and subwoofers connected to a large powerful amplifier with the sound characteristics you want.

bobbob

Thanks for the responses thus far. I tried Winamp with the extensions and no difference (though I do prefer the UI to WMP).

It seems to me that somehow my 2.1 setup is not being given whatever it needs to distribute low frequencies through the subwoofer. Everything's being sent to the satellites.

Steevo, I would agree with you except that these same speakers were able to produce the desired results on a previous system with XP and different drivers.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Forceful speakers that are front ported will fill a room better. Polks are front ported but you start having to pay a lot of money for them.

If you really want room filling try get away from these book shelf speakers and try find some good old 8" woofer designed speakers.

I have known Marantz to do good amps with a good open top mid end.

Do a search on ebay for Tannoy Mercury to give you some idea on a good designed speaker is. The old ones of these are really good the newer ones like with most companys are just small shit poss compared.

Big sound comes from bigger speakers so don't let people tell you small speakers give of big sound although small speakers might give you the trebble and mids pretty dam well but bigger speakers will own them as small speakers relay on subs which is no were as good as a reall pair of speakers that can produce more of a chest hitting bass that moves in the room.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I love my polks with my Harman kardon, but XP let the sound driver handle the audio endpoint building, Vista and 7 do NOT. Thus 2 channel audio will remain 2 channel, and not be changed to 2.1, or 5.1. You will need other software to change the audio stream before it gets handed to the Windows sound subsystem, thus the need for Winamp or there are a re downloadable audio effects for WMP to do the same.

streetfighter 2

Ah, so where to begin?

The Realtek HD chips aren't well regarded (which might be an understatement), even outside the audiophile community. If you've been happy with the performance of your Altec Lansing 621 speakers then I see no point in upgrading them (though my audio enthusiast instincts are scolding me).

So if you want to try the software approach and the winamp plugins previously posted aren't making you some magic then maybe you could just try the builtin equalizer in WMP? Or you can try something with a lot more options like AC3Filter.

EDIT: Another software thing you can try, which is a product of the unbelievably convoluted Windows 7 settings (but it might work ;))
Start->Control Panel->Sound

Otherwise buy a cheap sound card. This $13 (less shipping) sound card has a VIA tremor chip on it which should be just like your old onboard sound card. (Ignore brand names and read the label on the chip.) Let me know if you need more sound card suggestions.

Now if you want to know what I would do . . . Well let's see . . .

Iffen you don't want to shell out for a receiver and speakers, AKA the traditional route, then I'd buy some powered monitors. These Numarks look pretty sexy (and cheap), and they'll definitely scare the neighbors. Of course if your Realtek HD onboard is holding you back you'll still need to get a sound card . . .

Yet another option is to buy a 2.1 system (with the requisite oomph) that has an SPDIF input, thus bypassing the inequities of the Realtek HD output DAC.

Last edited:
You need bigger speakers as simple as that. The reason why you get the closed-in effect is because the emitting area is too local. Bigger speakers with broader dispersion patterns will sound much better in a big room.