• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How I Successfully Disabled MS Edge Prelaunch in Win 10....

Hi All,

After trying the Registry Edits and other silliness I finally stumbled upon a solution that worked.

I installed Google Chrome, then set it to the Default Browser in Windows 10. That's it.

I don't now if the install or the changing of the default browser did it, and I'm not going to change settings to test it, I'm really happy to have reclaimed my 850+ MB's of RAM that Edge sat in at prelaunch. I hope the Default Browser setting will do it for folks.

FWIW IMO the path shown on the net for the Registry entries is not correct, it has no effect on my system. Someone else has written that the correct path should be: "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main"
and I believe this is so. I also suspect these settings are stored elsewhere. Even in my current state the "MicrosoftEdge" Key and it's sub-keys do not exist in my Registry.

HTH
Fuzzilla :oops:

edited for smilie Happy Holidays peeps!

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It will all soon be moot as Microsoft has thrown in the towel and is giving up on Edge - and more to your point, they will totally rebuild their new browser based on Chromium - the same as Google Chrome. See: Microsoft Edge: What went wrong, what's next.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
It will all soon be moot as Microsoft has thrown in the towel and is giving up on Edge - and more to your point, they will totally rebuild their new browser based on Chromium - the same as Google Chrome. See: Microsoft Edge: What went wrong, what's next.
Actually Bill, they are replacing the rendering engine. It will still be called Edge and will look and feel no different to the average user. The update is expected to happen behind the scenes for users. I quoted in another thread the actual VP in charge of this blogging about it.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...pen-source-collaboration/#DChJjQUPbfPCmWOE.97

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Yeah, I understand what they will be doing. Just because it will still be called Edge and have a similar look and feel, it will still be a totally different browser underneath.

It's important to remember Microsoft has a long history of reusing names. Look at the original Windows Defender. It was just a spyware scanner while the current Windows Defender is a totally different program - a full anti-malware scanner. Look at Outlook Express, Outlook and Outlook.com. There have been several "Explorers" with similar or totally different functions.

A name is just a name.

As far as feeling no different - because all browsers do essentially the same thing, IMO, they all feel pretty much the same.

As far as looks, it is important to note Microsoft makes almost all their programs today have a similar look. That's part of their big plan.

Regardless, "under the hood" the new Edge will be quite different - and will [hopefully] address most [if not all] of the issues users have with the current Edge.

Frankly, I think it is too bad because Edge was [finally] becoming a decent browser. But Microsoft really shot themselves in the foot when they rushed (forced?) Edge out half-baked (almost raw?) with Windows 10. It clearly was not ready for release and of course, Edge and Microsoft were highly criticized, and rightfully so, for that - to the point Edge's reputation was ruined from the start and never really had a chance. The sad part is Windows 10 took some criticism for Edge's faults too - and that was not deserved.

Generally, I feel the developers at Microsoft are the cream of the crop - and when given the reins and time to do their thing, they produce top-notch products. Sadly, too often the marketing weenies have too much say, backed by executive decisions by those who exemplify the Peter Principle. :rolleyes: