• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How is the cybersecurity job market

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Motherboard Asus motherboard
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz cl40
Video Card(s) 4080 laptop
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Display(s) QHD+ 16:10 (2560 x 1600, WQXGA) 240hz
Power Supply 330w psu
My nephew is thinking of going into cyber security. Does anyone know much about it and what programs can be learn to get into it or ahead.
What does the job market look it for cyber security. He is still a senior in high school.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
He needs to go talk to his school counselor. There he can learn about job opportunities in your area, as well as educational opportunities in your area, on top of any classes he needs to be taking NOW (if not already too late to enroll :().

To answer your question in general, the field is getting crowded. However, the opportunities are growing as fast, if not faster. So the need for qualified experts most likely will never go away.

Hopefully, your son is not just now starting to think about this. Frankly, he probably should have been looking into IT as a career as a freshman, not well into his senior year. Whether that be with programming or hardware support, or as systems administrators - with a focus on security throughout.

Hopefully too, he has been taking classes heavy in math and sciences.

I might also suggest he go talk to military recruiters. All the branches are very concerned with computer security, network security, cyber security and cyber warfare (both defensive and offensive) But IMO, the Air Force (yes, I am biased there) and the Navy offer the best opportunities - much in part because the USAF flies $2 billion dollar airplanes (B-2) and the USN sails $13 billion ships (USS Ford). These are HUGE (read: very expensive) assets payed for by taxpayers' dollars we don't want lost due to an enemy cyber attack - NOT that the loss of a single USA soldier or USMC Marine is worth any less!

One of the biggest advantage to going military (besides the honor of serving his country) is they will pay for his education, give him free room, board and health care, pay him a comfortable living wage all while training him the latest skills - as well as earning 2.5 vacation (leave) days per month (30/year) starting on day 1. But they don't just train you in your field, they teach leadership skills too so when he gets out (hopefully after 20+ years), he can slide over into a great civilian job, in a lucrative manager or team leader position, directing the activities of others.

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz cl40
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Power Supply 330w psu
He needs to go talk to his school counselor. There he can learn about job opportunities in your area, as well as educational opportunities in your area, on top of any classes he needs to be taking NOW (if not already too late to enroll :().

To answer your question in general, the field is getting crowded. However, the opportunities are growing as fast, if not faster. So the need for qualified experts most likely will never go away.

Hopefully, your son is not just now starting to think about this. Frankly, he probably should have been looking into IT as a career as a freshman, not well into his senior year. Whether that be with programming or hardware support, or as systems administrators - with a focus on security throughout.

Hopefully too, he has been taking classes heavy in math and sciences.

I might also suggest he go talk to military recruiters. All the branches are very concerned with computer security, network security, cyber security and cyber warfare (both defensive and offensive) But IMO, the Air Force (yes, I am biased there) and the Navy offer the best opportunities - much in part because the USAF flies $2 billion dollar airplanes (B-2) and the USN sails $13 billion ships (USS Ford). These are HUGE (read: very expensive) assets payed for by taxpayers' dollars we don't want lost due to an enemy cyber attack - NOT that the loss of a single USA soldier or USMC Marine is worth any less!

One of the biggest advantage to going military (besides the honor of serving his country) is they will pay for his education, give him free room, board and health care, pay him a comfortable living wage all while training him the latest skills - as well as earning 2.5 vacation (leave) days per month (30/year) starting on day 1. But they don't just train you in your field, they teach leadership skills too so when he gets out (hopefully after 20+ years), he can slide over into a great civilian job, in a lucrative manager or team leader position, directing the activities of others.
My nephew doesnt qualify for the military, he has very bad eyesight.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
They are constantly changing their requirements. If it has been awhile, I would check again - especially if his sight can be corrected with glasses. Lots of military people wear glasses.

Other than that, then my other suggestions stand. He can also visit local IT consulting firms and ask what they are looking for - maybe even snag a intern position.

Sak

System Name SFF (Small Form Factor)
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming M-ITX
Cooling Noctua UH-U9S
Memory 32 GB (2x16) Corsair Dominator 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) 4070Ti Asus TUF
Storage 1TB + 2TB | Samsung EVO SSD
Display(s) 1440p/240Hz/OLED | 1440p/144Hz/IPS
Case NR200
Audio Device(s) Moondrop Aria, PreSonus Eris 3.5"
Power Supply Corsair 750W SFX
Mouse Finalmouse UltralightX, (formerly Starlight-12 Tenz)
Keyboard Wooting60HE + Tofu60 Aluminum OG
Software Windows 11, 3+ hrs of optimization
My nephew doesnt qualify for the military, he has very bad eyesight.
I have pretty bad eyesight, cannot function without glasses, and did 6 years in the Army. I work in IT now as a contractor for the DOD and am making a pretty fair amount of money. The path for cyber security is pretty cut and dry from here, need certs.

Advice from me? Have him start with certifications. A+, Network+, Security+ are a good trio to have. CySA+ would be the next good one to get if he is serious about Cyber Security.

System Name Asus G16
Processor i9 13980HX
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 32gb 4800mhz cl40
Storage 16tb, x2 8tb SSD
Power Supply 330w psu
I have pretty bad eyesight, cannot function without glasses, and did 6 years in the Army. I work in IT now as a contractor for the DOD and am making a pretty fair amount of money. The path for cyber security is pretty cut and dry from here, need certs.

Advice from me? Have him start with certifications. A+, Network+, Security+ are a good trio to have. CySA+ would be the next good one to get if he is serious about Cyber Security.
He has something in his eyes that makes him disqualified from the military. He wears special plastic like contact lenses, I dont know that name of it.

Processor AMD 5900x
Motherboard Asus x570 Strix-E
Cooling Hardware Labs
Memory G.Skill 4000c17 2x16gb
Video Card(s) RTX 3090
Storage Sabrent
Display(s) Samsung G9
Case Phanteks 719
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Corsair K95
My nephew is thinking of going into cyber security. Does anyone know much about it and what programs can be learn to get into it or ahead.
What does the job market look it for cyber security. He is still a senior in high school.
Major growth sector for years to come, especially with AI looming.