• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How many of you Radeon 5700 owners have ditched your cards over the drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
"Fine wine" moniker is maybe over-stretched but this statement has some truth. Maybe today this moniker is not so plausible but with R300 (Radeon 9700, my favourite graphic card ever) it was the truth. Radeon was almost always cheaper and better alternative to me than GeForce, meaning I could get more run for money. nVIDIA many times crippled their middle range cards while their stronger and future proof cards were expensive. So from gaming perspective, I was geting more with Radeon than GeForce.

One of the reasons I switched to nVIDIA from time to time or almost exclusively was better driver support including binary blob driver on Linux. Speaking of which, if you use FreeBSD or Solaris you have nVIDIA driver support for those OS's unlike ATi/AMD although I think AMD gave more love to Linux than ATi.
AMD is on with open source (Linux)

Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard MSI B450 Carbon AC
Cooling Wraith Spire, Scythe Kaze Flex *3
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V, F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse
Storage WDS250G2X0C, WD20EZRZ, WD20EARX, ST2000LX001, ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell U2412M
Case SAMA Full Tower Black Fish
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220
Power Supply Seasonic M12 II Bronze Evo Edition 520W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite
Keyboard CoolerMaster Masterkeys PRO M
Software Windows 10 Pro
  • The Radeon Software overlay sometimes stops to display. Using the shortcut key still grabs focus, but it does not show up ingame.

I've got similar problem. If I try to open Radeon Software from tray or from shortcut, nothing happens and consequently overlay (Ctrl+Shift+O) don't work.

I need to log-out or restart to be able to open Radeon Software and than overlay also works.

True, open source Radeon drivers are better than nVIDIA's and Intel is among the best with support with their open source drivers, they even got their own distro, Clear Linux.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
"Fine wine" moniker is maybe over-stretched but this statement has some truth.
The argument has mostly been used to argue that AMD's cards somehow get better over time, both performance wise and stability wise. But those people are usually ignoring that Nvidia's cards also get driver improvements throughout their lifecycle, and some of the single largest performance uplifts has come from Nvidia.

nVIDIA many times crippled their middle range cards while their stronger and future proof cards were expensive. So from gaming perspective, I was geting more with Radeon than GeForce.
How precisely have Nvidia crippled their mid-range cards?

One of the reasons I switched to nVIDIA from time to time or almost exclusively was better driver support including binary blob driver on Linux. Speaking of which, if you use FreeBSD or Solaris you have nVIDIA driver support for those OS's unlike ATi/AMD although I think AMD gave more love to Linux than ATi.
Speaking as someone who has been doing OpenGL development for way more than a decade, I do have a fairly good impression of how robust the various drivers are, both under "normal" use and during "mistreatment". I honestly have to say that Nvidia's driver is in a different league than AMD, and I wouldn't even consider running AMD cards in workstations for development purposes, that's just too many crashes and corruption issues to be productive.

AMD have to this day not added stable support for OpenGL 3.x/4.x, and shader issues and random glitches are still prevalent, and this is for the proprietary one, the "open source" one is much worse…

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
I'm on the newest Radeon drivers and I have no issues to report. I personally think many people are blowing this driver issue out of proportion. Especially on Reddit where most of the issues are from overclocked Ram (Black Screens) and overclocked CPU (Screen Flickering). Sure the drivers seem to be unstable for some, but these things need a total uninstall and a fresh install. At the same time, AMD needs to work on driver stability, though I like the extra feature set in the new drivers, stick to stability as much as possible AMD so the drivers won't react to hardware so strictly.
Then again, the same happens to Nvidia, as going on to the Nvidia forums & on Reddit, there's loads of driver complaints and stability issues.

Forgot the actual driver numbers but there were 4 to 5 driver updates that not only crippled Nvidia GPU's but also literally bricked them. Not all of them, but they were drivers from hell lol,

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I'm on the newest Radeon drivers and I have no issues to report. I personally think many people are blowing this driver issue out of proportion. Especially on Reddit where most of the issues are from overclocked Ram (Black Screens) and overclocked CPU (Screen Flickering). Sure the drivers seem to be unstable for some, but these things need a total uninstall and a fresh install. At the same time, AMD needs to work on driver stability, though I like the extra feature set in the new drivers, stick to stability as much as possible AMD so the drivers won't react to hardware so strictly.
Then again, the same happens to Nvidia, as going on to the Nvidia forums & on Reddit, there's loads of driver complaints and stability issues.

Forgot the actual driver numbers but there were 4 to 5 driver updates that not only crippled Nvidia GPU's but also literally bricked them. Not all of them, but they were drivers from hell lol,

Lets not forget fried gpus, detonators?

Well, my flicker were with freesync on, but as for now, with these driver, I have no issue at all. I have an Asus Strix RX5700.
Update.. I have upgraded the driver last night. It was the 20.1.3 I have found on AMD website. I installed the new driver and I have noticed that they fix or attempted to resolve the flickering issues according to AMD Fix's information. Well I installed it and I have less screen flickering so far, while playing fallout 4 last night. It's flicker once or twice but I managed to finally play hours later. But I'm still not completely convenient the Flickering screen won't come back again like before updates. I also just purchased full fan replacement for this XFX 570 on eBay. Since I have one wolbleing fan it's also getting hot 192.00 degrees Fahrenheit or 89.0 degrees Celsius. I hope these new replacements will help me with my over heating issues. It's very strange that sometimes it will over heat and sometimes it won't while playing games or movies.

Attachments

• 1581966033731.jpg
    1581966033731.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 1581813682496.jpg
    1581813682496.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 1581813647776.jpg
    1581813647776.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Kind of. They have 3D acceleration figured out, but if you want OpenCL, you still need the closed driver (there's an open source alternative, I think, but it's not from AMD). I'm not sure whether they figured out HDMI audio yet. Also, new cards are usually supported in unreleased/just released Mesa versions, which means users of most distros are out of luck. Fixable with the help of a PPA/EPEL, but still, not to everyone's taste.

Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
Also, new cards are usually supported in unreleased/just released Mesa versions, which means users of most distros are out of luck. Fixable with the help of a PPA/EPEL, but still, not to everyone's taste.
One of the few stupid things about Linux is the bundling of drivers in the kernel build. So running any newer Mesa versions usually involves a lot of manual labor, either a different kernel, compiling stuff yourself or similar, with potential avalanche of bugs and stability issues from going to custom route. Even for a typical Linux user (which is way above a "normal" PC user in competence), it's a pain just to get a few Steam games working on anything but the (proprietary) binary drivers.

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
One of the few stupid things about Linux is the bundling of drivers in the kernel build. So running any newer Mesa versions usually involves a lot of manual labor, either a different kernel, compiling stuff yourself or similar, with potential avalanche of bugs and stability issues from going to custom route. Even for a typical Linux user (which is way above a "normal" PC user in competence), it's a pain just to get a few Steam games working on anything but the (proprietary) binary drivers.
I think drivers can be put in the kernel or loaded on demand and that's something you specify when building the kernel. That said, I don't know if Mesa also works like that. And I have well beyond 10 years of experience with Linux, which pretty much proves your point.

Last edited:
Hello. Does anyone know about Graphic Card ATI Brand? And how good are theses cards.? I have seen them on the internet.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Hello. Does anyone know about Graphic Card ATI Brand? And how good are theses cards.? I have seen them on the internet.
Hello. This is not the thread for asking this question.

ATI was bought out by AMD several years ago... their cards are fine, but due to their age, they won't be playing many of today's titles.

This thread isn't for troubleshooting your PC or asking about ATI cards. Start your own thread asking about the card, your troubles, power supply etc...
:)

Hello. This is not the thread for asking this question.

ATI was bought out by AMD several years ago... their cards are fine, but due to their age, they won't be playing many of today's titles.

This thread isn't for troubleshooting your PC or asking about ATI cards. Start your own thread asking about the card, your troubles, power supply etc...
:)
Sorry for asking for me asking Questions or commenting. thanks again.

System Name Zen2
Processor AMD Ryzen - 3600
Motherboard MSi B450m Gaming plus
Cooling Stock Wraith Spire CPU Cooler, Armageddon 120mm RED Led Case fan
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ribjaws V, 3200Mhz (XMP), stable at 3466Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Armour Radeon RX-580 O/C
Storage Primarily: WD - 500GB SSD
Display(s) Dell 27" IPS
Case ANTEC P7, Red line
Audio Device(s) JBL E-55 BT Headphones
Power Supply Antec V700P - Modular PSU
Mouse Gigabyte Ghost, Logitech MX-518
Keyboard Coolermaster Devestator 3, Logitech Wave
Benchmark Scores SOTTR Benchmark 1080p ultra - 95fps
Bwahahaha ! atleast someone brought you up to speed ! :)

Processor Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard MSI B450 Carbon AC
Cooling Wraith Spire, Scythe Kaze Flex *3
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V, F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse
Storage WDS250G2X0C, WD20EZRZ, WD20EARX, ST2000LX001, ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell U2412M
Case SAMA Full Tower Black Fish
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220
Power Supply Seasonic M12 II Bronze Evo Edition 520W
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite
Keyboard CoolerMaster Masterkeys PRO M
Software Windows 10 Pro

nVIDIA's business practice (because they can and can afford it because they have large market share and popularity, they are like Intel of GPU world) is to deliberately gimp their cards so you need to buy more expensive card if you don't want to replace it to fast.

In old times, let's say Vanta vs TNT or M64 vs TNT2. In recent times, 3.5 GB VRAM fiasco with GTX 970, different perfomance of graphic cards of same chip depending on amount of VRAM or something.
Or being cheapskate with VRAM, while on Radeon you could get 4GB, nVIDIA was putting 2GB on their counterpart. So your Radeon with 4GB would be more future proof than GeForce with 2GB if you want higher details.

Speaking as someone who has been doing OpenGL development for way more than a decade, I do have a fairly good impression of how robust the various drivers are, both under "normal" use and during "mistreatment". I honestly have to say that Nvidia's driver is in a different league than AMD, and I wouldn't even consider running AMD cards in workstations for development purposes, that's just too many crashes and corruption issues to be productive.

AMD have to this day not added stable support for OpenGL 3.x/4.x, and shader issues and random glitches are still prevalent, and this is for the proprietary one, the "open source" one is much worse…

I know that OpenGL driver on GeForce or Quadro is well known for its stability and perfomance. Some are saying because of hacks or tricks while ATi/AMD was/is following strictly OpenGL standard.

I wouldn't even consider running AMD cards in workstations for development purposes, that's just too many crashes and corruption issues to be productive.

Mac Pro is using AMD's Pro line of graphic cards, they propably fixed those issues because it's to expensive product to be a joke, or not?

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
nVIDIA's business practice (because they can and can afford it because they have large market share and popularity, they are like Intel of GPU world) is to deliberately gimp their cards so you need to buy more expensive card if you don't want to replace it to fast.

In old times, let's say Vanta vs TNT or M64 vs TNT2. In recent times, 3.5 GB VRAM fiasco with GTX 970, different perfomance of graphic cards of same chip depending on amount of VRAM or something.
Or being cheapskate with VRAM, while on Radeon you could get 4GB, nVIDIA was putting 2GB on their counterpart. So your Radeon with 4GB would be more future proof than GeForce with 2GB if you want higher details.

I know that OpenGL driver on GeForce or Quadro is well known for its stability and perfomance. Some are saying because of hacks or tricks while ATi/AMD was/is following strictly OpenGL standard.

Mac Pro is using AMD's Pro line of graphic cards, they propably fixed those issues because it's to expensive product to be a joke, or not?

Ironically the (somewhat recent) card for which this counted most was the high end HD7970 with its 3GB which lasted exceptionally long, compared to high end Kepler cards. Most of the time though, the card's performance goes obsolete right along with its VRAM. You're not wrong though, Nvidia is definitely tight on their VRAM balance and especially in the mid range you do find shitty capacities. The 1060 3GB is such an example, being rather similar to a 7970 but merely 2,5-3 years ago and not seven. Meanwhile, VRAM capacity requirements have soared. In some ways the 1050 with its 4GB is a more future proof choice.

The 970 was actually quite ahead of its time with the 4GB VRAM, albeit only 3.5GB was practically usable, it was still 'enough' for the card's performance. Until you really stretch it on SLI, but even then, Nvidia can play smart driver tricks, the card remained a decent performer post launch.

But its not just 'business practice' in the sense of business and money. The tight VRAM constraints of Nvidia cards have positive side effects: VRAM needs to be handled efficiently so you get a tighter driver regime (the response to VRAM problems is extremely quick most of the time, Nvidia knows its walking a fine line, clearly) because otherwise products simply don't work as advertised, which is a problem. You also get more and earlier progress on compression tech. Delta compression is still ahead of the curve @ green. And the result of thát is that they can make do with a smaller bus which leaves a bigger power budget for the core.

I'm not so sure one or the other approach is 'better', really. But yes, in the lower half of the midrange, you really gotta be careful with Nvidia cards. Not in the least because they have all sorts of memory across the stack, and its definitely a way to cap the performance for cheaper cards.

Last edited:
System Name Snizzle
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Motherboard ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
Cooling CORSAIR Hydro Series™ H100i PRO RGB
Memory CORSAIR VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C14 Memory Kit
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC ULTRA GAMING, 11G-P4-2383-KR
Storage SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 500GB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
Case NZXT H500
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 220-G2-0850-XR 850W
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky DK2108S
Software Windows 10 Pro
Just bought a XFX 5700 xt THicc. So scare now.

System Name Purple rain
Processor 10.5 thousand 4.2G 1.1v
Motherboard Zee 490 Aorus Elite
Cooling Noctua D15S
Memory 16GB 4133 CL16-16-16-31 Viper Steel
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio
Storage SU900 128,8200Pro 1TB,850 Pro 512+256+256,860 Evo 500,XPG950 480, Skyhawk 2TB
Display(s) Acer XB241YU+Dell S2716DG
Case P600S Silent w. Alpenfohn wing boost 3 ARGBT+ fans
Audio Device(s) K612 Pro w. FiiO E10k DAC,W830BT wireless
Power Supply Superflower Leadex Gold 850W
Mouse G903 lightspeed+powerplay,G403 wireless + Steelseries DeX + Roccat rest
Keyboard HyperX Alloy SilverSpeed (w.HyperX wrist rest),Razer Deathstalker
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores A LOT
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Software Ubuntu
nVIDIA's business practice (because they can and can afford it because they have large market share and popularity, they are like Intel of GPU world) is to deliberately gimp their cards so you need to buy more expensive card if you don't want to replace it to fast.<snip> In recent times, 3.5 GB VRAM fiasco with GTX 970, different perfomance of graphic cards of same chip depending on amount of VRAM or something.
Not quite true, GTX 970 turned out to be the greatest buy of the Maxwell generation, it performed very close to GTX 980 at a much lower price, especially the AiB versions were a steal. And it did in fact have 4 GB RAM, the last 512 MB were just slower, but not that it really mattered, as the card would in most cases run into other bottlenecks first. GTX 970 beat GTX 960, GTX 980 and GTX 980 Ti in performance per Gflop, so in terms of resource balancing it was the most balanced of them all.

It all depends on which card you (selectively) compare.
Future-proofing have been a selling argument for GCN cards since the start, with many buyers waiting for years until their Radeon card to finally beat Nvidia's counterpart, but it never happens, except for edge cases.

You select cards based on a representative selection of games at the time of purchase. Any attempt to guess which card will scale 5% better than the other 2-3 years down the line is bound to fail, and by that time it wouldn't matter anyway, since you will buy a replacement.

OpenGL have two profiles; core and compatibility. Nvidia is a bit more permissive in compatibility mode, e.g. allowing HLSL syntax in shaders (since the shader core in Nvidia's driver is the same anyway), but this is not giving extra performance or stability. Most client software have to use the core profile anyway, since certain drivers don't run compatibility at all.

AMD is the one struggling with conformance.

AMD's OpenGL 2.1 support is fairly stable, it's the 3.x and 4.x stuff they struggle with.
But remember that OS X lacks the recent OpenGL versions, and are now in the process of deprecating it anyway, so Mac Pro is not using AMD cards for OpenGL…

System Name Violet
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming X
Cooling Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory G.Skill Flare x 32GB 3400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI 6900XT Gaming X Trio
Storage Western Digital WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 3440x1440
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 64bit
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64

Oh dear, this idiotic "argument" again. I think you should run back to /r/AMD, you'll feel much more comfortable there with all the other fanboys incapable of individual thought.

System Name Personal / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5900x / i5-4460
Motherboard Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 /ASRock Z87 Extreme4
Cooling Corsair H100i / stock HSF
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 / 8GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA XC3 Ultra RTX 3080Ti / EVGA RTX 3060 XC
Storage 500GB Pro 970, 250 GB SSD, 1TB & 500GB Western Digital / 2x 4TB & 1x 8TB WD Red, 2TB SSD & 4TB SSD
Display(s) Dell - S3220DGF 32" LED Curved QHD FreeSync Monitor / 50" LCD TV
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo / CM HAF XB Evo
Audio Device(s) Logitech G35 headset
Power Supply 850W SeaSonic X Series / 750W SeaSonic X Series
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Microsoft Natural Elite Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 / Windows 10 Pro 64
My brother decided to go the AMD route when the 780Ti died on him and picked up a 5700XT over the RTX 2060. He's had the card just for about 7-8 weeks now, got it installed and is using a driver just before 20.1.1 released (probably some 19.12.2 or 19.12.3 driver). He had issues with whatever the most recent driver was for the card at the time he got it, but he went back to the one previous to it and it works just fine.

He said he wasn't going to bother changing the driver unless he had issues playing a game.

Overall, he's pretty happy with it. The card gives better performance over my 980Ti (so he's excited to have a GPU that's finally better than what I have) and he can max any game out on his 1080p monitor.

System Name Zen2
Display(s) Dell 27" IPS
Case ANTEC P7, Red line
Lindatje, thanks for sharing the link on the current dying nvidia g-card problem, I just helped out a friend or shared it with him struggling with his card.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Lindatje, thanks for sharing the link on the current dying nvidia g-card problem, I just helped out a friend or shared it with him struggling with his card.
Current problem? My friend, this blew over a year ago. If this was still an issue, surely youd see fanboys/the whole amd crew still out in force over it. If their Bulldogs arent chomping at the bit...

@Ryzen_7 - Nvidia was proven not to gimp performance on older cards.. please stop with that FUD.

Last edited:

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Current problem? My friend, this blew over a year ago.

@Ryzen_7 - Nvidia was proven not to gimp performance on older cards.. please stop with that FUD.
But it's such a nice story... And a hate one at that.

System Name Zen2
Display(s) Dell 27" IPS
Case ANTEC P7, Red line
Well he is not in EU or US maybe he can just inform the supplier, at least get a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.