1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How much are you willing to spend on a keyboard?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Jun 8, 2017.

?

How much are you willing to spend on a keyboard?
Please vote for this poll on the TPU frontpage

1. up to $50

1,615 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. $50 - $80

887 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. $80 - $120

999 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. $120 - $150

343 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. more than $150

512 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    We also would like to hear why in addition to the range choice made, if you guys have the time and patience :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Beastie

Beastie

Thanks Received:
    None of the above.

I've never spent a single penny on a keyboard.

It's amazing what people throw away. :D

3. 64K

Thanks Received:
    Well, the way the question is worded to me doesn't mean how much did I spend on my last keyboard or even the one before it in which both cases were less than the amount I voted for but I am willing to spend that amount if I need to in order to get what I want.

4. Beastie

Beastie

Thanks Received:
    OK- to rephrase, nothing, because I don't see any point in spending money on something which is availabe for free.

5. infrared

infrared Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I love my Cherry mx board 6.0 , no frills, no stupid RGB bs, just quality. Aluminium frame/case and cherry mx red switches, it's a joy to type on and will last me for years. :)

I've had countless cheap keyboards and it's just frustrating trying to type fast. My logitech K830 lounge keyboard has started getting pretty bad, commonly used keys are jamming if they aren't pressed squarely in the middle. Backspacing on every 10th word because the key didn't actually press is extremely vexing! :banghead:

DRDNA says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  6. VSG

VSG Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have one of those, thinking of selling it now since I barely use a keyboard for longer than a few weeks before another pops up. Very well built, I agree it will last for years.

infrared says thanks.
  7. SaltyFish

SaltyFish

Thanks Received:
    Enjoying my CM Storm Trigger. You can splurge on a good keyboard. You'll be using it most of the time when you use your computer. Keyboards are timeless; you can pass it onto a future computer down the line and unlike graphics cards it won't become obsolete. Some people still use a IBM Model M keyboard and that thing is almost 30 years old.

Cost is somewhat tied to preference. Mechanical is more expensive than membrane. And good luck finding one with scissor-style keys nowadays. Extra features like backlighting and macros can add to cost, but if you use/need them it's all good. Just, uh, stay away from the bling-bling brands like Razer and Corsair where the boards will die in a year or two unless you don't care for longevity and plan on trying new keyboards every other year.

Dethroy says thanks.
  8. xkm1948

xkm1948

Thanks Received:
    It is ome of the things you have to use all the time, as I am getting older I do appreciate treating myself with good peripherals. Keyboard, mouse and monitor are the three things I wouldn't mind spending a lot of money on.

9. Caring1

Caring1

Thanks Received:
    I voted $80-$120 (AU)
    Converted to U.S. it is 3/4 of that.
    As all components seem to be a lot pricier here, we don't get the luxury of $100 mechanical keyboards, unless found used.

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Komshija

Komshija

Thanks Received:
    Usually I look to spend no more than 300 kn (45 $), but in certain cases if keyboard is really something special, I might extend my budget up to 400 kn (60 $). More than that is a "no go", because I like to stay within reasonable price range.

For instance, my current keyboard E-Blue Cobra II has metal plate for stability, four illumination modes (none, blue, red and purple) and one or even two (don't remember exactly) years warranty - all that for 250 kn (38 $).:D It was very hard to find it since most illuminated keyboards on our market are american-british models with QWERTY layout and without illuminated ŠĐČĆŽ (I wonder which moron/morons import that over here?), so this is an immediate deal breaker for me.

11. DeathtoGnomes

DeathtoGnomes

Thanks Received:
    I would spend the extra $$$ just to buy the same brand as the mouse or if the software to control features and functions are used on both keyboard and mouse. As of late, that matters more since keyboard manufacturers are trying to be more like Logitech (LGS).

12. IceScreamer

IceScreamer

Thanks Received:
    Nothing more that $10. Paid exactly that for the current keyboard (changed the one before just because I needed a second keyboard).

13. Brusfantomet

Thanks Received:
    considering my most used keyboard is a K95 RGB that cost about 1800 NOK (approx 210 USD) i say 150+, but that is helped by the 25% VAT and other Scandinavian bonuses.

14. Liviu Cojocaru

Liviu Cojocaru

Thanks Received:
    I paid 89£ for mine :)

15. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    <€10, historically. I did buy a Logitech for like €12 once, but it was not worth it. The best keyboard I know (a list that includes DAS Keyboard boards) are those chunky Dell keyboards which I bought three for €1 each, new.

I did vote more than 150, because I probably would be willing to spend that if I found a keyboard I really liked and I had the money for it.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. CounterZeus

CounterZeus

Thanks Received:
    Paid €143.84 for mine, so that's around 160$.
    I wanted a good mechanical gaming keyboard in azerty (BE).

Next time I'll just buy a qwerty and enjoy cheaper prices.

17. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    I spent $80 last time I bought a Keyboard.. It's a Razer..
    Can't remember the silly name but it's a silicone cell keyboard....
    I do like mechanical keyboards but prefer silicone cell... Much easier on the joints

18. Nuckles56

Nuckles56

Thanks Received:
    I spent about $50 Au on a mouse-keyboard combo which I'm perfectly happy with and does exactly what I need and doesn't have the same issues I had with my wireless logitech one.

19. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I have had three different keyboards in the past 10 years. First one was a Logitect Elite LE keyboard, paid like $20 for it. 2nd KB was a nice looking Razer, but I didn't like the feel of the keys. I returned it within a couple days and went back to using the Logitect. Upgraded to a system without the PS/2 connection. Having no choice but to replace the Logitect KB, I bought a Gigaware keyboard with the exact same layout as the Logitect for like $25. So I guess $25 is the most I'm willing to pay.

This poll should have an option for paying up to $25

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. Lightning New Member

Thanks Received:
    It has always been white, simple and below 8 dollar bucks because :
    - I can't stand not seeing the letters even if I know the general layout ;
    - precision typing -> good for gaming and writing long documents ;
    - cheap to replace ;
    - durable, easy to clean ;
    - no incompatibilites with motherboards.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  21. VSG

VSG Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    For those not in the USA, convert to the nearest economic equivalent instead. For example, $1 is ~64 INR directly, but due to the lower expenses there the economic equivalent is closer to $1 = 10 INR thus the ranges would be 0-500, 500-800, 800-1200, 1200-1500, and 1500+ INR.

22. cornemuse

cornemuse

Thanks Received:
    Ha! I still am using my prefered keyboard, about 20 years old 'BTC' brand, made in S.Korea. Has a large round plug (adapters to ps2 to usb), I just have allus prefered this board.

All the keys still work, , , , ,

-c-

husseinHr says thanks.
  23. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Voted for > $150, not because I have, but I will whenever I save up enough for a ROG Claymore (only board I know of with a left/right switchable numpad).

Actual purchases have been as high as $50 for a Logitech G110.

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. dont whant to set it"'

dont whant to set it"'

Thanks Received:
    150$ only If it can feed the hens, roosters, chickens year round and than also includes carryng the feed by 40-50kg bags ,milling it for the chickesn. yeah 150$ seems fair.

25. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    A quality keyboard should not cost more than $80. Durable easy to clean, substantial click and not plastic crap. Forget lights also just give me something that works.