1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How: Open Two Application

Discussion in 'General Software' started by HiddenStupid, Oct 17, 2007.

1. HiddenStupid New Member

Thanks Received:
    How: Open Two Application

Is there a way to open two application of the same application? example... I want to open two Utorrent... another example.... I want to open two CCleaner.

Is there a way to open two application of the same application? If so.... how?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Put a copy of the application into 2 different folders.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Whats the point.
    Every application I know of offers multiple tasks being performed at the same time anyway. I see no advantage of having a clone of an app :wtf:

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Single threaded applications on ahrdware that is capable of running it multiple times.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    If he is running it multiple times chances are its a small application anyway. You wouldnt want multiple instances of games running. I can see your point, but I dont see the practicality.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It depends on how the application was coded. Any application that does not do any checking for an existing instance of itself will open any number of copies of itself.

Some applications will check for running instances (using handles or mutexes or whatever) to try to ensure that two instances cannot run to prevent problems. If the app is written to use specific, hard-coded resources, there could be contention and data corruption if two instances try to use the same resources at the same time.

Usually running the app from different folders will accomplish the goal of multiple instances (but not always), but there is usually a reason that the applications coders' are try to prevent this from occurring and subverting their measures may cause you grief.

Just my 2 cents.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    Yes,for example if you are a member of TPU's F@H Team then you could run two instances of the console client, from different folders, on a dual core CPU.

Although there is a dedicated dual core,SMP client,it can be buggy and some people prefer to run two instances of the console client instead.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Fuse-Wire

Fuse-Wire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Scotland, Far away from normality as possible
    well when i use acid pro 7 i open it twice from different locations, easy when your trying to mix music, instead of having to save and convert everytime i want to try a set out i can just run both at once to hear what ive made, saving me hours of time

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's easy with MS office apps but again, as others have said..... copy the app into another folder or even hard drive if you have 2, then 2 shortcuts to the one desktop each with the different target link.

10 Year Member at TPU