• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How prevalent are ATX12VO desktops?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
nothing runs directly off of 3.3 or 5v volts
HDDs and nvme ssds do. Like, all of them.

Also 7.5volts... wtf? That isn't even in the spec.

CPU and GPU are 12v, even RAM is 12 now isn't it?
no, no and nope. They are all around 1v and do their own conversion from 12v on the board. And those vrms already get toasty at times.

HDDs and nvme ssds do. Like, all of them.

Also 7.5volts... wtf? That isn't even in the spec.

no, no and nope. They are all around 1v and do their own conversion from 12v on the board. And those vrms already get toasty at times.
For some reason I thought the orange conductor on SATA cables was 7.5v, don't ask me why... Either way its never used as 4 pin molex to SATA adapters work 100% of the time afaik. And yeah they "use" the 5v rail but I highly doubt anything inside a SSD runs on 5v (NAND and controllers certainly don't) and like I said the 3.3 pin is never used as evident that molex adapters work. So its all getting stepped down again anyway and there is no penalty from starting with 12v with modern voltage conversion ICs.

Yeah my dude I know GPUs don't run on 12v, when I say 12v 5v or 3.3v I'm talking about the rail being utilized not what voltage that component runs on. Nothing runs on native 12v aside from fans and maybe HD motors. My point was that everything of significant value uses the 12v rail; the smaller rails are superficial in modern hardware. If you look at old 10+ year PSUs you'll see a sizable portion of its total power in 5v, the ATX spec with different rails made sense then. Modern PSUs have nearly all their power in the 12v rail, 5v and 3.3v coming from the PSU is only there to support the spec, its pretty much legacy at this point.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
For some reason I thought the orange conductor on SATA cables was 7.5v, don't ask me why... Either way its never used as 4 pin molex to SATA adapters work 100% of the time afaik. And yeah they "use" the 5v rail but I highly doubt anything inside a SSD runs on 5v (NAND and controllers certainly don't) and like I said the 3.3 pin is never used as evident that molex adapters work. So its all getting stepped down again anyway and there is no penalty from starting with 12v with modern voltage conversion ICs.

Yeah my dude I know GPUs don't run on 12v, when I say 12v 5v or 3.3v I'm talking about the rail being utilized not what voltage that component runs on. Nothing runs on native 12v aside from fans and maybe HD motors. My point was that everything of significant value uses the 12v rail; the smaller rails are superficial in modern hardware. If you look at old 10+ year PSUs you'll see a sizable portion of its total power in 5v, the ATX spec with different rails made sense then. Modern PSUs have nearly all their power in the 12v rail, 5v and 3.3v coming from the PSU is only there to support the spec, its pretty much legacy at this point.
All nvme ssds run on 3.3v. Most SATA connector devices use 5V.

Bottom line I suppose is if it's really logical it will take off. But I really don't see it.

All nvme ssds run on 3.3v. Most SATA connector devices use 5V.

Bottom line I suppose is if it's really logical it will take off. But I really don't see it.
Yeah, 3.3v is on the pinout, I'm guessing thats for the flash as I found some old micron datasheets (2006) that say the flash actually runs at 2.6-3.6 volts. I coudln't find anything new though so who knows if that represents modern flash. More to the point its such small amount of power that it dosn't really change anything and there is already a 1.8v pinout on NVME so voltage conversion is already happening on the board somewhere for that. Just let the board do it for negligible increase in component count there for a vastly more streamlined and simplified PSU design.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
I mean if the 3.3/5v lines are needed, why not in the PSU? If they aren't used they don't exactly use any power or anything. I trust a PSU maker way more than a mobo manufacturer.

I mean if the 3.3/5v lines are needed, why not in the PSU? If they aren't used they don't exactly use any power or anything. I trust a PSU maker way more than a mobo manufacturer.
Because they aren't needed?, or at the very least is just an arbitrary number at this point. From what I could find old flash dies used ~3 volts but thats 10 year old information so idk if its relevant to anything anymore. So if 3.3v isn't ideal for NAND why keep that voltage standard around forever? If someone comes up with something better than NVME and they find that 2.2v is better you can just as easily generate 2.2v as you can 3.3 at the board level and you don't need to rely on PSU standards to catch up. SATA drives use 5v but that can't be ideal for anything really so 5v is pretty much completely legacy aside from USB ports.

You say you trust the PSU more than the motheboard board; I mean, whatever but I disagree, I've seen way more PSUs fail the motherboards. And you are already "trusting" the motheboard manufacture with all the other minor voltages that are not 3.3 or 5 volts and those never fail. By putting the minor rails on the board and taking them off the PSU you don't get less reliable motherboard you just get more reliable, compact, and efficient PSU.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
We are talking in circles. I just talked you through existing devices that use those voltages.
They are used because we still use the ATX spec. My whole point is that we don't need to use them anymore because its easy to convert whatever voltage you need from 12v, this not my opinion it is fact.

Yes, they do. A lot more than you think.
"A lot" whatever that means.... anything can and eventually will fail. I can safely say that PSUs and high output CPU and GPU VRMs fail vastly more often to the point its not even worth comparing them to failure rates of minor rails.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Its already getting stepped down, nothing runs directly off of 5 or 3.3v, the motherboard is already doing it, why do it twice? Also it dosn't need any air flow, these voltages don't supply any meaningful power, nothing is getting hot aside from 12v.
Really, so you'll run your CPU VRM with no heatsink and no airflow? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Really, so you'll run your CPU VRM with no heatsink and no airflow? Yeah, I didn't think so.
CPU VRM is not minor and runs directly off of 12v, I specifically said it gets hot, its everything else that dosn't. Minor rails that power things like controllers and sensors that are potentially using 3.3 or 5 volt rails dont' draw enough power to need cooling on their VRM.

System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
Your not going to convince many people its time to change standards simply because you have had a couple of bad experiences and now your jaded.
We all know what your saying. Yes, the 12v rail is the main power source today. Yes, the 3.3v and 5v rails dont get used as much but...they still get used or they would have been eliminated by now.

Personally ive had exactly one psu fail. That was due to it being damaged during shipping after i sold it(it was replaced by the manny in 10 days). Ive never had to replace one in any of my own or my clients builds.
Mbs on the other hand, ive had at least ten fail, from every manufacturer, from every tier, for every reason under the sun(i spend weeks researching every component i use in a build btw). So no, i definitely wont trust mb manufacturers to do anymore than the very least they can get away with.

We havent even touched on the pathetic customer service you will receive from mb manufacturers vs quality psu manufacturers. I guarantee you will wait at LEAST 4 weeks for your beloved mb to come back from rma testing from any of the big 4. Quality psu manufacturers customer support is the complete opposite, they offer cross shipping if the normal 2 week turn around isn't fast enough. Thats reason enough in and of itself to make a change in standards a complete joke.

Dig in to the mb cs issue, youll love what you see.-sarcasm-

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Your not going to convince many people its time to change standards simply because you have had a couple of bad experiences and now your jaded.
We all know what your saying. Yes, the 12v rail is the main power source today. Yes, the 3.3v and 5v rails dont get used as much but...they still get used or they would have been eliminated by now.

Personally ive had exactly one psu fail. That was due to it being damaged during shipping after i sold it(it was replaced by the manny in 10 days). Ive never had to replace one in any of my own or my clients builds.
Mbs on the other hand, ive had at least ten fail, from every manufacturer, from every tier, for every reason under the sun(i spend weeks researching every component i use in a build btw). So no, i definitely wont trust mb manufacturers to do anymore than the very least they can get away with.

We havent even touched on the pathetic customer service you will receive from mb manufacturers vs quality psu manufacturers. I guarantee you will wait at LEAST 4 weeks for your beloved mb to come back from rma testing from any of the big 4. Quality psu manufacturers customer support is the complete opposite, they offer cross shipping if the normal 2 week turn around isn't fast enough. Thats reason enough in and of itself to make a change in standards a complete joke.

Hi,
Yep asus has been said to be the very worst to deal with but I'm sure some of the smaller ones aren't much different.

I'm not jaded at all and aside from one Corsair CX that failed within a few months every that has gone out on has lasted what I would consider a normal amount of time but it still seems to be most likely thing to fail. My one and only point is ATX is super old and was designed with different needs in mind and different constraints. Yeah, it works but if were given the opportunity to do a clean slate design you could do it better with just a single source voltage.

Thats just it, we're stuck using it because its the "standard" and will be until the industry decides to move on from it, you can't just pull out 3.3 and 5 volt rails when people designing hardware expect them to be there you have to transition off them. And like I said earlier nothing really runs natively off those voltages, onboard controllers and drives are stepping those voltages down further anyway so its all just legacy design stuff. The board is either stepping down 3.3 and 5 volts or stepping down 12v, you are changing stnadards which is hard but in the end it dosn't make things any more complicated or prone to fail at the board level, the PSU just gets simplified. Enterprise hardware made this change a long time ago, all the PSUs are 12v only and whatever system voltages are needed are coming from the board and they conform to the same NVME and PCIE standards as desktops.

My experience with board vs. PSU failure has been the exact opposite, in fact I don't think I've ever had a board just die and that was one of my own that was taken out by lighting so I don't think that counts. Either way, failure isn't my issue with ATX as illustrated above.