• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to (CABLE MANAGEMENT)

zucchini

Ok, I'm sure more people are like me. They have NO idea in the world how to go about cable management. I know i myself tried and o boy.....i thought it just involved throwing all of the cables behind the motherboard, which was completely wrong!

We need a extensive walk-though on cable management.

For example, cable sleeving, how to hide certain cables. I have a lot of LED's in my comp and cold cathode tubes, not sure how to hide the wires from those!

System Name [Primary Workstation]
Processor Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield @ 3.8GHz/4.55GHz [24-7/Bench]
Motherboard EVGA X58 E758-A1 [Tweaked right!]
Cooling Cooler Master V8 [stock fan + two 133CFM ULTRA KAZE fans]
Memory 12GB [Kingston HyperX]
Video Card(s) constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer nVidia]
Storage constantly upgrading/downgrading [prefer Hitachi/Samsung]
Display(s) Triple LCD [40 inch primary + 32 & 28 inch auxiliary displays]
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 [Mesh Mod, CFM Overload]
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D1 + onboard Realtek ALC889A [Logitech Z-5300 Spk., Niko 650-HP 5.1 Hp., X-Bass Hp.]
Power Supply Corsair TX950W [aka Reactor]
Software This and that... [All software 100% legit and paid for, 0% pirated]
Benchmark Scores Ridiculously good scores!!!
If you have a modular PSU then it helps a lot. The biggest clutter inducers are usually PSU power cables. When I was running modular Ultra PSU's it was much easier when it came to arranging and hiding the cabling. I would recommend AGAINST hiding the cables behind the motherboard. Especially thick ones. You are risking scratching the traces on the PCB or even cracking the motherboard if you try to stuff too much cabling in there. I always use massive amounts of zip ties to tidy up my cabling. Also, bundling, rolling, and then tucking away long power cables is always easy. Don't forget to secure them with zip ties, since you don't want them moving around.

Here is how my current primary system looks (photo below). I just finished putting it together few days ago so I am not done with the cabling yet. Pay no attention to the thermal diode bundle or the thick bundle of fan wires. I have to tie those up one of these days. I am still working on the air flow arrangement and dode placement. I have 7 case fans, 8 independent thermal diodes (via DigitalDoc module). One on NB, one on VRM HS, one on CPU HS, one on PSU exaust, etc. Also, there are 6 hard drives in there.

evoted

once you know what route you will take with the cables as far as which go where you can cut some holes on the mobo tray...sleeving always helps but it requires time...

System Name Le Don
Processor Core i 5 2500K Unlocked 3.3GHz HD Graphics 3000
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision Rev 3.1
Cooling Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev.2
Memory 8Gb Corsair DDR3 (CMZ8GX3M2B1600C9), 1600MHz, 1.5V, 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) EVGA Signature 2 Super Clocked GTX680 2GB
Storage Total 6 TB storage
Display(s) LG 23" D2342P and LG 42" 42LF65 LCD (Wall mounted)
Case Antec P180 Silver
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Power Supply Corsair 850HX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit,
good cable management is dependent on the case as well as the modder's ability to "stealth" his cables. most recent cases have pre-cut holes/areas where you'd normally route cables. older cases require some Dremelling. i usually put unused cables behind the mobo tray and right side panel as my case allows that. sleeving is always a good idea too.

nflesher87

Staff
personally I think a lot of it comes down to individual organizational skill/ability
I've never read or taken advice from anyone on cable management, it was basically intuitive to me, might be somewhat related to OCD :p
see the link in my sig for my case, I'm not trying to discourage you, just be as patient and innovative as you can!

just a few extra comments:
- if you have cables that must be visible, either bunch them or make them into a pattern! (see my sata cables)
- use twisty ties or a roll of velcro that you can cut specific lengths from (works great because it blends in with the black sleeving)
- pick up a dremel to cut out small sections of the mobo panel so that you can run all those little wires behind the mobo
- take a look around your hardware store for any little doodads that may positively contribute
- if you find things, go ahead and paint them! notice the black rings holding the main vein of power cable to the right of my mobo, those actually come with lian li cases but are ivory, I painted them black

basically all the above examples can be seen in my case

also plz ignore the cables leaving the back of my case haha, their usually organized, just weren't for the photos!

Last edited: