1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How To...Capture, Convert, and Post your PC Game Play Footage.

Discussion in 'Games' started by 1Strive, Apr 30, 2006.

?

Did you find this helpful?

1. Yes

53 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Good, guide! The noobs will understand now!

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Satchmo New Member

Thanks Received:

DUR UH, WHAYT DOES TEH CAPTURE VIDEO MEAN DUR? :ohwell:

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    I work in IT as well as doing it for hobbies. Something I have learned throughout my years in dealing w/ technology is that there is a difference between ignorance and stupidity.

Newbies are often ignorant about certain subjects, this however does not make them stupid. I only find them guilty of that after they have proven that to be the case.

Indeed this post was to educate anyone who might be lacking in this particular area.
    :toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. karolpl2004

karolpl2004

Thanks Received:
    ok.. who voted no... :slap: and then :nutkick:

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Thanks 1Strive for taking the take the time to write a "How To" ... nice job :toast: You could also add TPUCapture screenshot utility created by our very own W1zzard...:)

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the support.

I will have to try that out. I probally will stick w/ fraps since I paid $40 for it, though.:p

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. CjStaal

Thanks Received:
    When did W1zz make a capture program?

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Urlyin

Urlyin Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    1Strive ... I should clarify that the TPUCapture is for single screen captures and not for movies... but is freeware

Bik ... I gave the link above.. W1zz has had it out for a little while .. I made reference to it and use it to grab screenshots for reviews...

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was compressing the RAW video stream using MS-MPEG4-v3 codec. This would take the RAW file from 200mb per 30secs to 18mb.

I was leaving the audio stream alone. This means that the audio was left uncompressed. By choosing an audio compression method I have greatly reduced the final size of the outputted file. From say 70.6mb to 43.9mb. (That I is around 40%) Now the audio is in a true stereo format and therefore sounds much better. (Stereo instead of a RAW audio dump)

To compress your audio as well go to Audio and select “Full processing mode” rather than “Direct stream copy”, then select Audio\Compression and choose an audio compression standard. I chose “Windows Media Audio V2” checked “Show all formats” selected “64 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo (for audio/video) 8KB/s.

Hopefully this will help with your audio quality and file sizes. Feel free to play around with the “Selection of audio compression” with in Virtual Dub.

[​IMG]

Also I am currently looking on how to use Virtual Dub to get a smaller resolution for posting to You Tube.
    I know how but the file size stays the same, I want the file size as small as possible for the upload.

I saw on the Virtual Dub web site links to the virtual dub scripting language. Know this, I would say it is very posiable to have a script that would take all the uncompressed FRAPS videos in your FRAPS movie directory and output them with chosen compression standards for video and audio to anuther directory.

If this script isn't already out there, I will create one and share it here on this forum.
    Edited: I have created a script that creates a .job file to be used by Virtual Dub. This will select all the files in a directory and covert them automaticly using compressions standards you set.
    I will submit this script to those interested please post here or pm me.

To anyone who posted before...
    Instead of making fun of newbies you guys could have followed my guide and provided tips to improve it like the audio stream be left uncompressed. Just some food for thought.

Thanks,
    1STRIVE

Last edited: May 10, 2006
    10 Year Member at TPU
  11. BNSLOPPY New Member

Thanks Received:
    WOW how easy is that. i managed to film a live game at last. Very easy!

Ok, i managed to download all the files. Captured the clips from game to fraps. then i managed to compress them via virtualDub. So whats the nimo codec pack for??

Also, im a dab hand with windows movie maker, i managed to do a video with still photos.click linkhttp://www.bolt.com/Sloppy/video/305084but i have got a problem with video clips. When i import a compressed video clip on movie maker, i drop it into the time line and its ok. Then i import my next clip and attach it to the timeline.when i press play, the picture becomes fragmented. Do you know the cause of this problem as i would be very greatfull for a solution. Many thanks!

P.S GREAT SITE AND AWSOME VIDEO GAME FOOTAGE!!!:toast:

P.P.S i notice your video didn't have the fraps logo at the top, how did you remove it!

Last edited: May 12, 2006
    10 Year Member at TPU
  12. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nimo was to use MPEG-4 compression if it wasn't already installed on your computer.
    I have that same problem w/ WMM, don't know why.
    No FRAPS logo because I purchased the retail version.

Here is the video from last night's game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUFEHI0Fd5g

I am now on vacation.
    Later,
    1STRIVE

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. BNSLOPPY New Member

Thanks Received:
    I seem to have got around the problem. I just made the film on windows movie maker and dropped all the snips in the time bar regardless of the fragmentation problem. My hope was that once I saved it would play ok. I was right, it was very clear indeed. However, when I came to upload it to my Bolt site for others to view, the film again appeared fragmented. I did film the scenes on lowest resolution. And I also tried to compress the file on my encoder for streaming but I had problems converting it so I just uploaded the file on its full size 18MB. I guess it’s probably the best im going to get and the films still good fun so thanks anyway!!! im off to sus out how I can adjust the backing music so I can hear selected in game noises to add a little finale to the game!!!

Here's the game footage http://www.piczo.com/BNSloppy?g=11162805&cr=3 What do you think????

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't got a chance to look at your video. I am on vacation right now, w/ only dial up.:roll:

To adjust audio levels in Windows Movie Maker.
    Tools\Audio Levels\Drag the slider to the desired level.

Try Windows Media Player 11 and see if you get the same fragmentation problems. I didn't.:pimp:

I first posted this guide on 9May06, it is now 19May06 and has over 500 views. That is more than 50 per day. I love TPU forums.

Later,
    1STRIVE

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. BNSLOPPY New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cheers for that 1STRIVE... My film looks great on my media player or Winamp. Its after ive uploaded it to my host (Bolt) it looks fragmented. Ive had a look at your game videos and they look very smooth indeed. I think I may have a look at a graphics card upgrade. Mines just a simple onboard UniChrome which I recon has sumut to do with the upload. Not that its worth getting one just for video purposes but having looked at your BF2-RawkFist-JAC video its a must to be able to play such games. And im waiting for UT 2007.

Hope you had a good holiday and be careful near my house with them jet fighters lol!!! respect :respect:

http://www.flightlevel350.com/video_streaming.php?id=990

Last edited: May 25, 2006
    10 Year Member at TPU
  16. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    This thread was posted 1 month ago yesterday. It has had over 840 views.

I am reviewing it and making updates.

Thanks to TPU forums for hosting this guide for me.

Later,
    1STRIVE

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. tony929292

tony929292 New Member

Thanks Received:
    aaah... , now in english please

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. noobtastic New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been making videos like these for years now, things I have found if you can... try to stay away from fraps, in the past fraps was always a bad choice, maybe their software has gotten better, but render quality when I tried it was very bad. I dont play bf2 so I dont know if this is a valid option for you. I instead play Enemy Territory, a game based off the quake3 engine. We make a demo then with a high quality config take screen shots using a cl_avidemo 90 (makes 90 screenshots a second), we then render with vdub at 90 also, then in final render with vegas video/adobe premeire use only 30 frames (basically compresses 3 shots into 1). This gives a nice motion blur effect. Standards for the game I choose are around 25mb/minute using the xvid codec and about 20mb/min if you use the newer x264.

also a site I think you should look at if your into these types of video

http://www.own-age.com/ <- lots of great tutorials here, from advanced effects to just basics making of a video

my last video for my clan

http://www.own-age.com/vids/video.aspx?id=7628 <- 315mb total with screenshots and 2 videos 1 is 11 mins at 24.81mb/min the other is about 2 and a half mins. I will try to upload the smaller one sometime.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
    10 Year Member at TPU
  19. noobtastic New Member

Thanks Received:
  20. xiaoxue New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi my file is too big for me to load in youtube is there a spilter that u can recommand me or what i should do? ~_~

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    Using Virtual Dub you can select a higher compression for your file. Alternatively you can open your file in Virtual Dub, and then use the Home and End Keys to select a portion. Save that output is Part One and do it again for Part Two.
    Load Part Two to youtube and then take that link to it and when you load up Part One post the link to Part Two.

Good Luck, and please let us know how you resolve this problem or if you want any more help.

Thanks,
    1STRIVE:toast:

10 Year Member at TPU
  22. xiaoxue New Member

Thanks Received:
    heehee thank pal I follow ur guide and now im making xD

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. 1Strive

1Strive New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I take it that my guide helped you out. That makes me happy.:toast:

By the way I am updating this guide for my new web site. (Launching this month.) There I will post it's updates and revisions. Also in the new version of the guide I will show you haw to load VD custom setting and "Process whole directories at once."

I hope this helps get people interested in my new site.

More to come about this later.:pimp:

Later,
    1STRIVE

10 Year Member at TPU
  24. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Post the URL of you're new site as soon as it's running. What software are you using to make it? Or are you brave and coding the HTML youself?!

10 Year Member at TPU
  25. noobtastic New Member

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU