• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to disable throttling on AMD RX Vega?

System Name Lenovo 17IMH05H
Processor Core i7 10750H
Video Card(s) GTX 1660 Ti
Audio Device(s) SSL2
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Benchmark Scores i've got a shitload of them in 15 years of TPU membership
I need help!

I am messing now with a new RX Vega 56. I am trying to get 4K gaming results out of this card, which i will compare with the already done GTX1080, GTX1070, GTX980 Ti results.

The PROBLEM is the HORRIBLE throttling this card produces. The clocks would not go above 900 MHz and the memory would not go above 500 MHz no-mater what...

First of all, is there some kind of edit option in the Crimson Software that disables BOTH memory and core downclocking? There is some kind of "chill" hotkey that is turned off - it does not help.

Second, can anybody confirm that using MSI Afterburner solves the throttling?

I know there guys here, who must have had experience with this problem, i urge you not to be ignorant, but get this thing fixed.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
Sounds like something is terribly wrong with the card. I would first try to sort that out before attempting to shut off any thermal protection ( I doubt it's even possible ).

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I need help!

I am messing now with a new RX Vega 56. I am trying to get 4K gaming results out of this card, which i will compare with the already done GTX1080, GTX1070, GTX980 Ti results.

The PROBLEM is the HORRIBLE throttling this card produces. The clocks would not go above 900 MHz and the memory would not go above 500 MHz no-mater what...

First of all, is there some kind of edit option in the Crimson Software that disables BOTH memory and core downclocking? There is some kind of "chill" hotkey that is turned off - it does not help.

Second, can anybody confirm that using MSI Afterburner solves the throttling?

I know there guys here, who must have had experience with this problem, i urge you not to be ignorant, but get this thing fixed.
Even air cooled my card didn't throttle that much ,what is the airflow round and to it.
I oc with wattman on vega and watercooled i have no throttling , what drivers are you using i can get different max clocks with different drivers ,some were buggy too try a driver reinstall , make sure your pc is in high performance mode too.

Processor Core i7 10750H
Audio Device(s) SSL2
Wattman must be the most annoying performance/overclock boost program i have ever seen... Please explain in details what do you do to keep your clocks at max speed? When i enter custom settings, i can see that at "state7" i should be getting the clocks i need. How do make my 1610 MHz clock speed run at "state0"?

Better yet - what i need to do in order for the clock and memory speeds to always run on max? So that in GPU-Z i could always see them running on max?

Using latest Crimson beta 17.10.2 and a POS blower type cooled RX Vega 56.

Last edited:
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Wattman must be the most annoying performance/overclock boost program i have ever seen... Please explain in details what do you do to keep your clocks at max speed? When i enter custom settings, i can see that at "state7" i should be getting the clocks i need. How do make my 1610 MHz clock speed run at "state0"?

Better yet - what i need to do in order for the clock and memory speeds to always run on max? So that in GPU-Z i could always see them running on max?
Increase its cooling but you're card does seam to be throttling a lot more than usual ,whatman won't change anything below the top two ,you can't change p0 , and all other oc software basically adjusts the slider.

First set the fans to max speed all the time and retry at stock to monitor throttling and can you show us a picture of the card in situ.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Get Release Drivers, Beta are for testers.

Make sure your chipset drivers are latest too

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Try this.
THAT has noting to do with the OP issue... If I had a dime everytime you post his babble I wouldn't need to work :wtf:

@Artas1984 remove Msi AB for one, DDU your driver in safe mode and use a BETA driver dispite what @eidairaman1 says about beta drivers, he has no Idea on the branches of these beta's

USE wattman as it's got a lot of potential and the settings are validated.

Run my settings and give it a try.. Crank the fan slider to 2000RPM for a test and run Supersition bench as it's show your current clock frequency.

@Artas1984 I've been testing non public drivers and public ones all day.. Here is my clocks holding running Extreme 1080P with HBCC on running Unigin Superposition.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had a dime everytime you post his babble I wouldn't need to work :wtf:
I guess I'm supposed to take offense to that. Well...not today anyway. I've got better other things to do. You sound a bit grumbly. Maybe you need a nap or something.

BTW I'll paypal you those $.30 if you're in desperate need. Wait...$.40 maybe? I dunno. Let's call it an even $.50. Then you'll be covered for the next one or two times. :laugh:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
THAT has noting to do with the OP issue... If I had a dime everytime you post his babble I wouldn't need to work :wtf:

@Artas1984 remove Msi AB for one, DDU your driver in safe mode and use a BETA driver dispite what @eidairaman1 says about beta drivers, he has no Idea on the branches of these beta's

USE wattman as it's got a lot of potential and the settings are validated.

Run my settings and give it a try.. Crank the fan slider to 2000RPM for a test and run Supersition bench as it's show your current clock frequency.

The reason I state what I do is because of the issues beta drivers tend to have and crop up randomly, so that's to cover the bases. Also you are right. I'm not a Beta tester like you @fullinfusion, speaking of which, why is it that when they fix one thing the break another?

System Name Storm Wrought | Blackwood (HTPC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x @stock | i7 2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WIFI m-ITX | Some POS gigabyte board
Cooling Deepcool AK620, BQ shadow wings 3 High Spd, stock 180mm |BQ Shadow rock LP + 4x120mm Noctua redux
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x32GB 4000MHz | 2x4GB 2000MHz @1866
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Red Dragon | PNY a2000 6GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 1TB, 1TB KC3000, 850EVO 500GB, 2+8TB Seagate, LG Blu-ray | 120GB Sandisk SSD, 4TB WD red
Display(s) Samsung UJ590UDE 32" UHD monitor | LG CS 55" OLED
Case Silverstone TJ08B-E | Custom built wooden case (Aus native timbers)
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Sennheiser HD 599 cans / Logitech z163's | Edifier S2000 MKIII via toslink
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 | Corsair SF 450
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse| Some logitech one
Keyboard GMMK w/ Zelio V2 62g (78g for spacebar) tactile switches & Glorious black keycaps| Some logitech one
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Edu | Ubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores Look in the various benchmark threads
@eidairaman1 They have to keep themselves in a joke somehow and breaking something else is an easy way to do so

/Sarcasm off

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I guess I'm supposed to take offense to that. Well...not today anyway. I've got better other things to do. You sound a bit grumbly. Maybe you need a nap or something.

BTW I'll paypal you those $.30 if you're in desperate need. Wait...$.40 maybe? I dunno. Let's call it an even $.50. Then you'll be covered for the next one or two times. :laugh:
Na not at all, I wasn't meaning any offence. I had to lol to myself thinking I bet your entire favs must be on buddie is all. I just get tired of the same ol same ol video Poppin up is all :p

I have no issues with his videos, but one issue I have is how he promotes reg tweaking to get massive power setting and don't explain the entire method behind the work involved.. to me the public will not do the reg properly and mess shit up. If he wants to explain and he has stated in a previous video on how to set the power with a reg tweak but only tells half the story??? That's what bothers me... For the OP that video makes ZERO sense and you know it otherwise your just shooting in the dark hey?

@eidairaman1 it's not fix one thing break two.. it's progression and how the drivers branch out. It's not an easy thing to fix everything as you know being an ex mechanic.

Sure sometimes it's a step forward and 2 steps back but AMD as you see is making great progress in the drivers.

1. There's the public that fill out bug reports and then there's us that find issues the public hasn't found.
2. It's a tough balancing act at times. 3. Right now OW is one of the main issues being worked on steadily. I really can't get into to much detail but rest assured lots of fixes are being dealt with ;)

So don't think because a beta is not for public, it is. It's not like 2012 how things are being done and I highly recommend to use beta drivers. There are many levels in testing and the drivers are tested in house as not to have a cards driver overvolt and burn a card up. They get tested, we get a branch and test and find bugs. We report and have a direct line to the bug report team and they will say that X is doable this version but Y isn't for another branch off..

;)

@Artas1984 you quoted "Using latest Crimson beta 17.10.2 and a POS blower type cooled RX Vega 56"

The blower cooler isn't a bad cooler.
Look at my screen shot and settings. I re-pasted the thermal paste and why I'm able to maintain the clocks. The paste used from AMD is crap. And to further answer your question AMD has locked down the safety on vega cards.. one time we used to overvolt a card for more clocks but not anymore. Depending how good of ASIC you have you can down clock the core and raise the frequency but not any voltage below 950mV as HBM is set at 950. You want higher clocks flash a 64 bios to the card. I flash many times a day for testing.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Na not at all, I wasn't meaning any offence. I had to lol to myself thinking I bet your entire favs must be on buddie is all. I just get tired of the same ol same ol video Poppin up is all :p

I have no issues with his videos, but one issue I have is how he promotes reg tweaking to get massive power setting and don't explain the entire method behind the work involved.. to me the public will not do the reg properly and mess shit up. If he wants to explain and he has stated in a previous video on how to set the power with a reg tweak but only tells half the story??? That's what bothers me... For the OP that video makes ZERO sense and you know it otherwise your just shooting in the dark hey?

@eidairaman1 it's not fix one thing break two.. it's progression and how the drivers branch out. It's not an easy thing to fix everything as you know being an ex mechanic.

Sure sometimes it's a step forward and 2 steps back but AMD as you see is making great progress in the drivers.

1. There's the public that fill out bug reports and then there's us that find issues the public hasn't found.
2. It's a tough balancing act at times. 3. Right now OW is one of the main issues being worked on steadily. I really can't get into to much detail but rest assured lots of fixes are being dealt with ;)

So don't think because a beta is not for public, it is. It's not like 2012 how things are being done and I highly recommend to use beta drivers. There are many levels in testing and the drivers are tested in house as not to have a cards driver overvolt and burn a card up. They get tested, we get a branch and test and find bugs. We report and have a direct line to the bug report team and they will say that X is doable this version but Y isn't for another branch off..

;)

@Artas1984 you quoted "Using latest Crimson beta 17.10.2 and a POS blower type cooled RX Vega 56"

The blower cooler isn't a bad cooler.
Look at my screen shot and settings. I re-pasted the thermal paste and why I'm able to maintain the clocks. The paste used from AMD is crap. And to further answer your question AMD has locked down the safety on vega cards.. one time we used to overvolt a card for more clocks but not anymore. Depending how good of ASIC you have you can down clock the core and raise the frequency but not any voltage below 950mV as HBM is set at 950. You want higher clocks flash a 64 bios to the card. I flash many times a day for testing.

Thanks for the affirmation bro, I was always scratching my head on this.

Maybe once I'm back on my feet I will be able to do some testing on 2nd Gen GCN lol

Processor Core i7 10750H
Audio Device(s) SSL2
whatman won't change anything below the top two ,you can't change p0 , and all other oc software

Yes, i noticed that already. I've managed to fix my throttling problem by setting the base core speed at power "state6" and boost core speed at "state7". I have overclocked my RX Vega 56 to 1650 MHz, and now i am getting constant dynamic core speeds from 1650 MHz to 1670 MHz while gaming. HBM2 speed also seems to be stable at 800 MHz.

However, i still must use MSI Afterburner in order to manually keep my FAN speed rotating high enough.

he promotes reg tweaking to get massive power setting and don't explain the entire method behind the work involved...

Yes, i try to avoid anything manual registry related.

Wait a second, howcome my Powercolor RX Vega 56 is 1610 MHz boost clock out of the box?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131730

Should not it be 1471 MHz? Wattman showed 1610 MHz boost clock at power "state7" without me even overclocking it.

Last edited by a moderator:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Wait a second, howcome my Powercolor RX Vega 56 is 1610 MHz boost clock out of the box?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131730

Should not it be 1471 MHz? Wattman showed 1610 MHz boost clock at power "state7" without me even overclocking it.
that I'm not to sure on, mine shows a boost clock of 1590 but I think it's a gpu-z bug but I'll find out and ley you know.

Also Artas if looking at the card what position is the bios switch in? it should be in the left position.

@eidairaman1 do you recall an AMD driver that was in beta and went to WHQL just not to long ago. That's why I say go for it, beta drivers are good :)

@Artas1984 whattman will do the same thing for fan speed... set the min and max slider to the same rmp, you can put the cursor on the rmp box and manually type in what ever speed you want like 2100 by 2100 and it'll remain at a constant.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
that I'm not to sure on, mine shows a boost clock of 1590 but I think it's a gpu-z bug but I'll find out and ley you know.

Also Artas if looking at the card what position is the bios switch in? it should be in the left position.

@eidairaman1 do you recall an AMD driver that was in beta and went to WHQL just not to long ago. That's why I say go for it, beta drivers are good :)

@Artas1984 whattman will do the same thing for fan speed... set the min and max slider to the same rmp, you can put the cursor on the rmp box and manually type in what ever speed you want like 2100 by 2100 and it'll remain at a constant.

Nah, I've been on my phone for a few months, my rig is unplugged until I have better living conditions, I also need a new monitor as the current 1 is showing signs of failure not wanting to light the screen unless I unplug it.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Nah, I've been on my phone for a few months, my rig is unplugged until I have better living conditions, I also need a new monitor as the current 1 is showing signs of failure not wanting to light the screen unless I unplug it.
Ah sorry I didn't know man, well I hope things turn around for ya real soon.

@Artas1984 here look.. it's not hard to maintain the clocks if the fan is running higher.. try running Supersition without HBCC and then again with HBCC on.

stock 56

stock 64 bios flashed to the 56

Overclocked 64 bios

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
No worries Brad, I'm alive, have some joy still. My monitor is 15-16 yo now lol.

Processor Core i7 10750H
Audio Device(s) SSL2
My RX Vega 56 started lagging the whole computer horribly. I uninstalled the drivers using DDU and now would like to install the latest WHQL drivers, not beta (even though i have nothing against beta).

The thing is, if i google "latest AMD Crimson WHQL drivers, i get so many different answers, all from AMD sites.

Who knows which drivers are latest non beta?

Also, WTF is this "ReLive" thing? I never noticed this before in any driver updates?

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
My RX Vega 56 started lagging the whole computer horribly. I uninstalled the drivers using DDU and now would like to install the latest WHQL drivers, not beta (even though i have nothing against beta).

The thing is, if i google "latest AMD Crimson WHQL drivers, i get so many different answers, all from AMD sites.

Who knows which drivers are latest non beta?

Also, WTF is this "ReLive" thing? I never noticed this before in any driver updates?
Use the betas , on such a new card its the best one, also I've used them All, the latest Is the best and most stable.

Fullinfusion agrees and he is in the know , the latest betas are the next whql id wager

My pc has never ever lagged due to the graphics card and its been switched on running flat out seven years ( with some variation of inards) so im unsure how you're getting to this conclusion , is the gpu throttling after a while under load?? Gpuz sensor suite can monitor this.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Check out the services running and post them here via screenshot, someone here recently was having lag issues with another card and setup, once he removed said programs the issues stopped.

How old is that psu anyway?

Last edited:
Processor Core i7 10750H
Audio Device(s) SSL2
Fullinfusion agrees and he is in the know.

I know what you did there :D

However, i now have installed the 17.9.3, which contain support for RX Vega cards anwyay. So far the card works good.

The BIOS switch in located at the opposite side to the PCI-E lane. What does it do?

@Artas1984 I've been testing non public drivers and public ones all day.. Here is my clocks holding running Extreme 1080P with HBCC on running Unigin Superposition.

I have seen Gamer Nexus review on that HBM controller influence in performance and it offered no notable performance whatsoever. It's just an AMD marketing trick.

However i will check superposition performance later on.

Check out the services running and post them here via screenshot, someone here recently was having lag issues with another card and setup, once he removed said programs the issues stopped.

Any clues which unnecessary services might be crippling performance prior?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I know what you did there :D

However, i now have installed the 17.9.3, which contain support for RX Vega cards anwyay. So far the card works good.

The BIOS switch in located at the opposite side to the PCI-E lane. What does it do?

I have seen Gamer Nexus review on that HBM controller influence in performance and it offered no notable performance whatsoever. It's just an AMD marketing trick.

However i will check superposition performance later on.

Any clues which unnecessary services might be crippling performance prior?

Follow this thread for some hints, of course everyones rigs are different but he removed those and his issues stopped.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...spikes-until-reset.237283/page-2#post-3744993