• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to enable additional shaders on Radeon HD 6950

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfac

hey there, i´ve got an xfx 6950 flashed and it worked perfectly, great thanks for this thread ;)
but i noticed that the 6970 got this new EQAA and the 6950 just the normal AA, if i´m right^^
and theres no way to use EQAA with a flashed 6950?

cheers

Ganzir

Hello,

one question, maybe someone of you has already tried this or could try it and tell if it works:

I already own a regular 6970, so getting a 6950 and flashing it would only make sense, if these two could run together in crossfire. Is this possible?

Greetz
Ganzir

itsdanny

Hello,

one question, maybe someone of you has already tried this or could try it and tell if it works:

I already own a regular 6970, so getting a 6950 and flashing it would only make sense, if these two could run together in crossfire. Is this possible?

Greetz
Ganzir

Yes, that can be done and it is possible.

Should I get the 6950 over the GTX 570 because of this "exploit"? I won't be upgrading for awhile after I purchase either, hence something decent and efficient for that reason would be good.
Cheers,

easyrider

Hello,

Greetz
Ganzir

yes

Ganzir

Did you do it?

Are there any problems one might run into, even if the flashing process works according to plan or is it more or less the same as plugging in a second 6970?

easyrider

Did you do it?

Are there any problems one might run into, even if the flashing process works according to plan or is it more or less the same as plugging in a second 6970?

Loads have done it without issue

You can run a 6950 and 6970 in CF anyway

itsdanny

Did you do it?

Just take out your current 6970. Put in the 6950, flash it, etc. Now put in the 6970 and CF.

itsdanny

So far, what's everyone's highest clock and memory speed they can get with the flashed BIOS on the 6950? And what brand card?

Someone here maxed out the ccc limits (950/1450), mine seems to be fine at 940/1440.
Dunno how to go higher since MSI Afterburner has the same limits here

M

Mastroz

Hello,

Greetz
Ganzir

Yes, I have mine crossfired and everything is working good. 2 Sapphires here. I just did the flash one at a time in my computer. Having one card in my computer, taking the one out and doing the other. Ran COD:BO all night last night and was getting about 59-60C and when I ran BFBC2 for about an hr I was getting about 67-68C. Ran 3dmark06,11, Heaven and no crashing or anything. Thats 880 Clock, +20%, and fan at 50% on both 6950's.

One question I have is, if i switch both card is setting 2 before booting PC, does it take everything back to stock bios settings?

davetheshrew

Yes, I have mine crossfired and everything is working good. 2 Sapphires here. I just did the flash one at a time in my computer. Having one card in my computer, taking the one out and doing the other. Ran COD:BO all night last night and was getting about 59-60C and when I ran BFBC2 for about an hr I was getting about 67-68C. Ran 3dmark06,11, Heaven and no crashing or anything. Thats 880 Clock, +20%, and fan at 50% on both 6950's.

One question I have is, if i switch both card is setting 2 before booting PC, does it take everything back to stock bios settings?

yes if you flick the switch you have 6950's again, great for comparisons :)

itsdanny

yes if you flick the switch you have 6950's again, great for comparisons :)

what if you didn't back up the BIOS at the start, when you flick it to setting 2 and start up, it'll load fine. but how do you get the setting 1 to load now? how do you flash it if you didn't back up the BIOS at the start? and what do you use to flash it back with? winflash?

You flick the switch back to 1, before running the atiflash. And you run atiflash by booting off a bootable USB. I had to use my nintendo DS flash card's microSDHC disk (formatted after backing up my games) to boot. Older versions of ATIflash fit on a floppy; the new ones are 1.8MB in size, so you have to use a bootable USB drive, since that won't fit on a floppy.

This is basically the same thing as hotflashing a motherboard BIOS from years ago, without having to risk short circuiting something by using metal IC pullers to pull the BIOS chip out.

I also have an old pentium 4 with an IC7 max3 with a "Bios savior", which is basically the same thing--a dual bios. Brick the good one, flick a switch, boot from backup, flick switch back, flash the bricked one .....

M

Mastroz

I thought you can flash it in windows, just boot as bios 2.. load into windows and then switch it to 1 and load original flash. if you didn't back it up, you would use the one they have on this site. I haven't tried it, but it sounds right like they said on the first page.

M

Mastroz

what if you didn't back up the BIOS at the start, when you flick it to setting 2 and start up, it'll load fine. but how do you get the setting 1 to load now? how do you flash it if you didn't back up the BIOS at the start? and what do you use to flash it back with? winflash?

Thats why you have dual also :-D you leave the 2nd one for orginal and you'll never have a problem.

tcool93

The problem with this card hack thing, is now the merchants have all jacked up their prices on the 6950. Newegg and Amazon are the ones who have a long history of price jacking. Its not AMD, its the merchants price gouging. Newegg at first (after learning about the hack) hid the rebate for their Gigabyte card, and now they pretend the card is sold out (which I know from past history it isn't, they just want to avoid paying the rebate).

I was tempted to buy one, but now its unlikely. I'll just skip this generation of cards. My 5850 is plenty fast enough for all real games.

itsdanny

Thats why you have dual also :-D you leave the 2nd one for orginal and you'll never have a problem.

I know, but what I meant is, if you didn't back up on the first BIOS, and result is that it may not load. You flick it to the second BIOS, which will load but then again, the first one still won't and is still bricked, hence if you have no back up, how will you flash the first one back to its original state before the actual flashing/unlocking?

Meh, it shouldn't matter.

Bearlake

System Name Gaming Rig
Processor E8500 @ 400*9.5 1.35v
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula (X38... Bearlake)
Cooling CPU-Grand Kama Cross GPU-T-rad2
Memory OCZ platinum 4x2gb kit (1ghz) @ 1200mhz, 2.14v (custom flash by ocz tech support)
Video Card(s) 4890 @ 975mhz/1050mhz
Storage 2x WD 250GB sata2 RE2 @ Raid-0
Display(s) Samsung 24" Syncmaster 245b + Philips 17"170S4
Case Zalman GT-1000
Audio Device(s) Onboard-riser Supreme FX-II + Logitech G35 surround heatset
Power Supply Gigabyte 850watt Odin GT (usb connected)
Software Win7 x64
Benchmark Scores CPU @ 4.4ghz 18543 3DMarks (3870x2 gpu with 4gb team Xtreem memory, both replaced) (the 3870x2 die
i do wonder tough...

The Radeon HD 6970 features 1536 stream processing units, 96 texture units, 32 render back ends, 880MHz clock-speed and 256-bit memory bus. Meanwhile, the Radeon HD 6850 sports the same chip with 1408 stream processing units, 88 texture units, 32 render back ends, 800MHz clock-speed and 256-bit memory bus.

so with unlocking these stream processing units, wich is very cool ofc..
how about the actual ammount of texture units.. are the last 8 units unlocked too?

System Name i5Panther
Processor Intel i5 760 @ 4Ghz (Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B)
Motherboard ASUS P7H55
Cooling Front: 1x140mm, Left Side: 1x140mm Right Side: 1x80mm, Rear: 120mm Top: 2x140mm, Bottom: 2x120mm
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB DC DDR3 PC12800 @1600Mhz
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon HD 6950 (Unlocked Shaders, 880/1375)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 32MB/Wester Digital Caviar Green 1TB 64MB
Display(s) Iiyama E2002WS-B1 20"
Case Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic (Logitech X-530 5.1)
Power Supply Corsair ModXStream Pro 700w
Software Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores P6040 - 3DMark11
The problem with this card hack thing, is now the merchants have all jacked up their prices on the 6950. Newegg and Amazon are the ones who have a long history of price jacking. Its not AMD, its the merchants price gouging. Newegg at first (after learning about the hack) hid the rebate for their Gigabyte card, and now they pretend the card is sold out (which I know from past history it isn't, they just want to avoid paying the rebate).

I was tempted to buy one, but now its unlikely. I'll just skip this generation of cards. My 5850 is plenty fast enough for all real games.

Prices here in The Netherlands have stayed the same.

One of the cheapest is the XFX for Roughly 340 bucks (€260), I bought one this afternoon.

By how much have the prices risen?

M

Mastroz

I know, but what I meant is, if you didn't back up on the first BIOS, and result is that it may not load. You flick it to the second BIOS, which will load but then again, the first one still won't and is still bricked, hence if you have no back up, how will you flash the first one back to its original state before the actual flashing/unlocking?

Meh, it shouldn't matter.

You can usethe bios on page one on the zip or Rar file. That has the original bios there. Should be all set :)

itsdanny

You can usethe bios on page one on the zip or Rar file. That has the original bios there. Should be all set :)

Yep, I figured that earlier, I just rephrased myself as you didn't seem to comprehend my question properly. Thanks though. :)

Bearlake

System Name Gaming Rig
Processor E8500 @ 400*9.5 1.35v
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula (X38... Bearlake)
Cooling CPU-Grand Kama Cross GPU-T-rad2
Memory OCZ platinum 4x2gb kit (1ghz) @ 1200mhz, 2.14v (custom flash by ocz tech support)
Video Card(s) 4890 @ 975mhz/1050mhz
Storage 2x WD 250GB sata2 RE2 @ Raid-0
Display(s) Samsung 24" Syncmaster 245b + Philips 17"170S4
Case Zalman GT-1000
Audio Device(s) Onboard-riser Supreme FX-II + Logitech G35 surround heatset
Power Supply Gigabyte 850watt Odin GT (usb connected)
Software Win7 x64
Benchmark Scores CPU @ 4.4ghz 18543 3DMarks (3870x2 gpu with 4gb team Xtreem memory, both replaced) (the 3870x2 die
i do wonder tough...

The Radeon HD 6970 features 1536 stream processing units, 96 texture units, 32 render back ends, 880MHz clock-speed and 256-bit memory bus. Meanwhile, the Radeon HD 6850 sports the same chip with 1408 stream processing units, 88 texture units, 32 render back ends, 800MHz clock-speed and 256-bit memory bus.

so with unlocking these stream processing units, wich is very cool ofc..
how about the actual ammount of texture units.. are the last 8 units unlocked too?

can anyone relate to this please,
do the extra texture units unlock as well?

I upgraded to the hotfix 12a drivers and it started artifacting, reverting to the cd drivers now...what about you guys? what drivers are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.