• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to enable additional shaders on Radeon HD 6950

Status
Not open for further replies.

milesc

Thanks for the info Blinzi... do you have a link to a site with a bit more information regarding your proposed modification?

Thanks,
milesc

tomigun

Sapphire HD6950 1gb non-reference

I noticed a modified sapphire 6950 1gb bios with unlocked shaders for download here on techpowerup.

For this non-reference card?

or did sapphire release a 1gb reference model before?

blinzi

Thanks for the info Blinzi... do you have a link to a site with a bit more information regarding your proposed modification?

Thanks,
milesc

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3968672&postcount=2

its a gigabyte card tough - the chip is on the backside of the card. the sapphire has the flash memory on the gpu side, which makes it much more difficult to use this moddification!

thats the chip (U11) http://circuits.datasheetdir.com/403/PM25LV010-pinout.jpg

u can find it here on the sapphire card: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/846/dscf6848d.jpg

bridge VCC to WP# (the arrow on the card indicates Pin1)

but really, id rather go with a better VGA-Cooler like the accelero extreme plus and pump that GPU Clock to 950Mhz. the shaders only give you like 5fps at max!

Last edited:
Ok this might explain why im getting the same error "Rom Not Erased" on my Gigabyte 695OC 1GB. Ive been trying to get it it unlocked for a while now and many people dont have the card so i couldnt verify it was a problem.

Funny thing is, it worked the first few times i flashed, then it just wouldnt let me flash anymore. Is there a sort of limitation on the number of flashes you can do? Is that possible because ive used everything and still getting the same error.

That chip-thing above maybe what i need, but if its too costly im not going to bother with it. On a side-note i cant go past 1310 on my memory without artifacts in Ati-Tool. Thats very shallow isnt it?

Last edited:

blinzi

On a side-note i cant go past 1310 on my memory without artifacts in Ati-Tool. Thats very shallow isnt it?

dont touch the memory! my card cant even handle 1300Mhz on the memory... thats because its already at its limit with 1250!

with the SOIC clip it should be quite easy! be sure to check if the chip is on the backside of the card, else you wont be able to use it with the stock cooler.

BACKUP YOUR CURRENT BIOS and get a 2nd graphics card in case u dont have one onboard.

thats because u want to redo the flashing if something goes wrong.

always remember that this will completely destroy your warranty rights :pimp:

Last edited:

blinzi

nice - mount that clip on the chip with the yellow dot, bridge pin 8 to pin 3 (look at my diagram for numbers) put the card back in the pcie slot and follow the polish guys instructions.

Hmm sounds easy enough, now i just have to get that clip in Australia.

Another side-note, how did SonyHD get 990 Core on 1.175. Im on that voltage now and that seems impossible. Also just realised his card is non-reference otherwise he would ave used the dual-bios switch. Duhh..

blinzi

dunno how he did that - im stuck at 950Mhz@1.150V but i only have a stock cooler my temps are 85°C in furmark....

you have +20% in CCC ?

Sk1nner

I have a Powercolor HD6950 unlocked 880/1375 1.125v with catalist 11.5b and i never had a problem in any game ,the temperature never rise above 74Cº, but now in dirt 3 this is happening (www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KHBceMfwiM)
look for the license plate and the name of the player ahead.
Is the graphic card dying?
Thanks

blinzi

shader unlock only? what happens when you reset the clock speeds to default? reinstalled driver already? tried a different resolution? why did you raise the memory? :p

Sk1nner

shader unlock only? what happens when you reset the clock speeds to default? reinstalled driver already? tried a different resolution? why did you raise the memory? :p

shader unlock only, tried catalist 11.4, 11.5 and 11.5b, format , tried default speeds ( not default shaders), and still happens in any of these scenarios.
And i forgot to mention that i have a folding program that i have been running for the past month but the temperature never raised above 74Cº.

you have +20% in CCC ?

Whats that? EDIT:Found it. Interesting, i just turned it on on my fps on Dirt 3 went up by 3fps. Not bad. Going to test with a higher clock.

To Sk1nner, id check my vrm temps. The card may not be raising past 74 but they might be above that. Normally artifacts are a memory problem.

Last edited:

Sk1nner

the temperatures while folding

i keep the memories at 1250 while folding because it doesn't make difference with higher clocks.

Hmm thats strange then, it might be a problem with your card. Have you tried other games? Load up Crysis 2 or something really intensive and see if you can spot anything strange.

I saw your video, i cant see anything wrong with it.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I have a Powercolor HD6950 unlocked 880/1375 1.125v with catalist 11.5b and i never had a problem in any game ,the temperature never rise above 74Cº, but now in dirt 3 this is happening (www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KHBceMfwiM)
Thanks
I think it's just the game mate! and don't fret it just yet. Let AMD get there driver working proper and code master to release a patch. ;)

Sk1nner

i played 1 hour of crysis2 and saw nothing, i´m gonna wait for new patch and drivers before taking my conclusions.
thanks.

The first patch for Dirt 3 just came out so give that a try, its huge though. Hopefully new content.

tomigun

Thanks

Dirt 3 gets all funky on me too, occasions horizontal bands in green purple...
think it might just be the game

Sk1nner

horizontal bands in green purple its normal when u crash , its not a artifact.

Status
Not open for further replies.