1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How To: Enable SLI on pre-i7/i5 hardware

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by bluevelvetjacket, May 22, 2008.

1. Akula74

Akula74 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep... Then for whatever reason it's not working....
    The option hasn't even been shown in NVIDIA control panel...
    Got to the Very end and the driver didn't load...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  2. TheWolf New Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you copy the nvlddmkm.sys into C:\windows\system32\drivers\
    in Command Prompt window as admin?

copy C:\ACPI\nvlddmkm.sys C:\windows\system32\drivers\

ACPI being the folder were you have the nvlddmkm.sys file stored.

3. Akula74

Akula74 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ACPI being the folder were you have the nvlddmkm.sys file stored.??

Hold on a minute you mean i was suppose to store it somewhere, first? Didn't see it on that guide or i must of missed it. I'll go do it again.

Yep... I couldn't find what i was suppose to do with that file...

4. Ronny@Home New Member

Thanks Received:
    What a pity, i did hope you get a higher score with SLI enabled. :(
    Look at these ranking, it is not very spectacular:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/de/char...uality/3DMark06-v1.1.0-3DMark-Score,1468.html

Wow, today my second EVGA 9800GT "Black Pearl" (watercooled) will arrive and I hope to test this SLI-Mod on my Gigabyte EP45-Extreme (watercooled) at weekend. ;)
    I am curious what results I will get??? :D
    I hope to target near the 9800GX2... :p

P.S. Did you try this: http://www.evga.com/articles/00463/

5. derGhostrider New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did not want to try it within the VM. The "positive experience" and saved time because of that VM may allow me to spend some extra time for the installation of XP (or Vista) on an old harddrive.

Sorry once again: That's why wrote "error messages" instead of errors. Sorry - that was wrong. I meant the warnings. (My english should be good enough to seperate between "warning" and "error". Well, "should be" is not "is".
    But it was somehow obvious what I wanted to say as I said: "... as long as the .aml file is created." (which does not happen with errors - only with warnings).

==================

@akula74:
    The ACPI-folder was just meant as an example! You may store your files (before you copy them) wherever you like but then you have to replace the path of "c:\ACPI\" with your storage path:
    x:\where\ever\it\may\be\

Important is that you copy the modified nvlddmkm.sys into C:\windows\system32\drivers\.
    It does not matter if you copy the file from C:\ACPI\ or from anywhere else, just the destination \system32\drivers\ is important.

6. TiN

TiN

Thanks Received:
    I'd say more important to disable ALL checks and protective OS mechanisms before any file copying. Because if you left OS in normal mode with forcing certified-only drivers - then you will have original files restored just after first reboot, and you will ofcourse get real chipset name, not X58 then, and no any SLI magic :D

7. djzander New Member

Thanks Received:
    it is alive ! ;P

[​IMG]

8. TiN

TiN

Thanks Received:
    190.38 and no hal ? huh?

9. Ronny@Home New Member

Thanks Received:
  10. derGhostrider New Member

Thanks Received:
    @Ronny:
    He has only 8x PCI-Express Slots, a totaly different system and only the SM 2.0 score is behind. HDR / SM3.0 is very close.
    So what's wrong? It's by far better than any single card of the same type.

11. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

This is from the q3 '08 chart.

http://www.tomshardware.com/de/char...2008/3DMark06-v1.1.0-HDR-SM3.0-Score,793.html

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. derGhostrider New Member

Thanks Received:
  13. TheWolf New Member

Thanks Received:
  14. TheWolf New Member

Thanks Received:
    To make it more simplified you can place the: nvlddmkm.sys file in the root of C: then the command you run would look like this:

copy C:\nvlddmkm.sys C:\windows\system32\drivers\ <=You can type this in the cmd prompt or copy paste it if the path is the same.

Remember this needs to be done from a Command Prompt window ran as admin. <very important.
    Click Start type in search: "cmd" right click it & run as admin <=W7 way..
    It will ask to overwrite answer: Yes

[​IMG]

15. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    Soon as I find a darn SLI bridge, I'll be testing on a foxconn motherboard, dont think anyone has tried one yet. I'll try both the .ddl and the driver method.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. TheWolf New Member

Thanks Received:
    You don't really need a bridge to have SLI, with the bridge it does give a slite better score in benches & FPS in gaming..

17. anatolymik

anatolymik

Thanks Received:
    I'm planning to make automatic halpatch by monday

raptori, derGhostrider and TheWolf say thanks.
  18. EGOvoruhk

Thanks Received:
    You sir, are my hero :rockout:

19. TheWolf New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looking forward to it.. :rockout:

20. derGhostrider New Member

Thanks Received:
    :toast: Great!

21. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    Ok, Ive been googling the shit out of that for hours, because that's what i thought... everything I read on the net says you have to have one for 8800gs... can it work without one?

Screw it, im trying it... I just didnt want to get it up and running and it not work, then not know whether it was something wrong with the hack (or my application thereof) or because of the absence of the bridge.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    ok if anyone's reading this at this time I cant seem to figure out where to put the certificate. Im reading the how to, but there are a billion blocks exactly like what is in the example. Could someone point me in the right direction?

EDIT: heres a copy/paste of my dsdt file into a text doc if anyone wants to take a crack at it for me :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. aGeoM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I did check DSDT table from my old Crosshair II, and didn't had any SLIC string.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php?p=1554715&postcount=593

... and all the steps explained by you and sveetsnelda (on driver install ) and so well translated by TiN.

Did you know any non-intel board enabling SLI with both mods? I did all the steps over and over, it must be other Device ID check missing to be "fooled" I guess. :ohwell:

Yes, I have 2 ACPI Management Interface @PNP0C14.

Code:
    --------[ Physical Devices ]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCI Devices:
          Bus 0, Device 24, Function 1                      AMD K10 - Address Map
          Bus 0, Device 24, Function 2                      AMD K10 - DRAM Controller
          Bus 0, Device 24, Function 0                      AMD K10 - HyperTransport Technology Configuration
          Bus 0, Device 24, Function 4                      AMD K10 - Link Control
          Bus 0, Device 24, Function 3                      AMD K10 - Miscellaneous Control
          Bus 1, Device 0, Function 0                       Asus EN9800GT Video Adapter
          Bus 3, Device 0, Function 0                       Asus EN9800GT Video Adapter
          Bus 0, Device 0, Function 0                       ATI RD790 Chipset - Host Bridge
          Bus 0, Device 2, Function 0                       ATI RD790 Chipset - PCI Express Graphics 0 Port A
          Bus 0, Device 11, Function 0                      ATI RD790 Chipset - PCI Express Graphics 1 Port A
          Bus 0, Device 9, Function 0                       ATI RD790 Chipset - PCI Express Port E
          Bus 0, Device 18, Function 2                      ATI SB750 - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
          Bus 0, Device 19, Function 2                      ATI SB750 - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
          Bus 0, Device 20, Function 2                      ATI SB750 - High Definition Audio Controller
          Bus 0, Device 20, Function 1                      ATI SB750 - IDE Controller
          Bus 0, Device 18, Function 0                      ATI SB750 - OHCI USB Controller
          Bus 0, Device 18, Function 1                      ATI SB750 - OHCI USB Controller
          Bus 0, Device 19, Function 0                      ATI SB750 - OHCI USB Controller
          Bus 0, Device 19, Function 1                      ATI SB750 - OHCI USB Controller
          Bus 0, Device 20, Function 5                      ATI SB750 - OHCI USB Controller
          Bus 0, Device 20, Function 3                      ATI SB750 - PCI-LPC Bridge
          Bus 0, Device 20, Function 4                      ATI SB750 - PCI-PCI Bridge
          Bus 0, Device 17, Function 0                      ATI SB750 - SATA RAID-5 Controller
          Bus 0, Device 20, Function 0                      ATI SB750 - SMBus Controller
          Bus 2, Device 0, Function 0                       Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

PnP Devices:
          PNP0303                                           101/102-Key or MS Natural Keyboard
          PNP0C08                                           ACPI Driver/BIOS
          FIXEDBUTTON                                       ACPI Fixed Feature Button
          PNP0C14                                           ACPI Management Interface
          PNP0C14                                           ACPI Management Interface
          THERMALZONE                                       ACPI Thermal Zone
          AUTHENTICAMD_-_AMD64_FAMILY_16_MODEL_4_-_AMD_PHENOM(TM)_II_X4_20_PROCESSORAMD Phenom(tm) II X4 20 Processor
          AUTHENTICAMD_-_AMD64_FAMILY_16_MODEL_4_-_AMD_PHENOM(TM)_II_X4_20_PROCESSORAMD Phenom(tm) II X4 20 Processor
          PNP0200                                           DMA Controller
          PNP0C0B                                           Fan
          PNP0103                                           High Precision Event Timer
          ISATAP                                            Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
          PNP0C02                                           Motherboard Resources
          PNP0C02                                           Motherboard Resources
          PNP0C04                                           Numeric Data Processor
          PNP0800                                           PC Speaker
          PNP0A03                                           PCI Bus
          PNP0C0C                                           Power Button
          PNP0000                                           Programmable Interrupt Controller
          PNP0B00                                           Real-Time Clock
          PNP0C01                                           System Board Extension
          PNP0100                                           System Timer
          TEREDO                                            Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Hi, man

I also have AMD chipsets, and had problem compiling *.dsl. Had to edit *.dat to add SLIC cert.

Hi
    How you did compiled .dst? Thanks.

24. Akula74

Akula74 New Member

Thanks Received:
    asl sli.dst...
    It's a simple command i get some warnings...But i get them even if i don't modify anything and still compile....Man i'm just starting to think i'm did in a stupid way...I'm gonna wait till monday for the patch to be programmed...

aGeoM says thanks.
  25. aGeoM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try this one.

Attached Files: