• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How To: Enable SLI on pre-i7/i5 hardware

hey there... I got a few problems today after I tested the late version of the Halmod.. All the installation was fine with the 190.62 driver already installed, reboot and cpuz was showing X58 chipset and system was alright.. I havent got a 2nd vga so I dont know if the SLI is active though..
So about and hour ago.. I downloaded the new 191.03 drivers, installation was without problems, reboot no problems, games no porblems.. reboot again and BSOD, then more BSOD, last known good configuration also end in BSOD.
Only way to repair it was the recovering windows program and thru that restoring to the point before of 191.03 installation..
I have the original HAL for my system, I backed up a few days ago.. Im going to try with this one and this new drivers again to see if I can help to insolate the problem here, at this point I dont know if its a driver issue or a hal issue..

EDIT: I reinstalled 191.03 driver with the original hal in system32 folder and no problems so far.....
So at this point Im guessing if the driver should be always installed first and the halmod right after :confused:
If that the case, maybe a restore function for the halmod would be useful :)

Anyone else experience with the new drivers and latest halmod?

i have some work now, about it i'll think later

Ghostleader

i think no

?, is it okey to leave the modded HAL or should I roll back the original or is it just fine as it´s?

A bit unclear.

Anyone knows if I can use the same nvlddmkm.sys (rev2) Win7 x64 for the 191.03 beta as for the 190.62?

Schlingel

okay i also got BSOD while installing 191.03

rebootet, sitched off second desktop and tried again ->working

ill try to reboot now. btw sli still avaiable with the new driver

@€dit: i guess i know why ;) beta driver without certificate? didnt try too reboot now cause too lazy to add certificate to every driver-file or using F8

Last edited:

sordido

okay i also got BSOD while installing 191.03

rebootet, sitched off second desktop and tried again ->working

ill try to reboot now. btw sli still avaiable with the new driver

@€dit: i guess i know why ;) beta driver without certificate? didnt try too reboot now cause too lazy to add certificate to every driver-file or using F8

forgot to add that I was using a 2nd monitor also when I had the BSOD... maybe that is the reason of the problems??

anatolymik: Thanks for your hard work man, seriously.

Da Viksta

System Name Desktop
Processor Core 2 Quad Q9450
Motherboard Foxconn Blackops
Cooling OCZ Vendetta
Memory 6GB Patriot (DDR3-1600)
Video Card(s) 8800GTS 320 + Geforce 6600
Storage 2 x Maxtor Diamondmax 500GB 7.2k 32MB
Display(s) Acer AL1916W + Samsung SM2343NW
Case Antec 900
Power Supply 900W
Software Server 2008 x64
Benchmark Scores 15K 3dmark 06 60k 3dmark 03 Superpi 1M: 13.947 seconds
This is from another forum. I posted it earlier for sveetsnelda, but he hasn't been around for a while. It might be useful for the person doing the HAL.dll mod

I've tried to obtain the relevant IDs. Are they found somewhere at device manager?
A intermediate way could be to use rw-everything to patch the IDs everytime at startup, so there would be no more need to patch the driver all the time when it's updated.
I don't have access to a pre-X58 /P55 board to test. :(
Also I don't think the driver reads the IDs from a 'hardcoded' address at the chipset itself (hope so), but somewhere at the bios.
Do you think there is another place, probably at DSDT too where it gets them?
A big problem will be: If we could manage to patch at the bios to an x58 /P55 chipset device, what will be about compatibility?
The OS will probably install another chipset driver thinking it's an X58/P55 chipset. The patch needs to be selective enough, therefore we need to find a selective place.
At the moment I think there is no better way than to patch the graphics driver itself...

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/showpost.php?p=143640&postcount=15

What caught my interest was using RW-Everything to patch the IDs at startup. So instead of having a modified/hacked HAL.dll file, you could just turn RW-Everything on and off

Sailindawg

Processor Q6600
Motherboard Black Ops
Cooling D-Tek Fuzion v2, MCW30 + Swiftech MCR Drive 360
Memory 8 G Mushkin D9GTR/S
Video Card(s) 5870
Storage Intel X-25 + Raptors
Display(s) HP LP2475
Case CM Stacker TC101
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply PCP&C 910 Silencer
Software Win 7 64 bit Pro
Hello All,

Thanks to anatolymik for his work. I finally managed to get the hack working. I have a Foxconn BlackOps. I'm using Win 7 64 bit 7100 for my operating system. My first try at it, I tried to add theFoxconn certificate into the SLIC registry file. I seemed to be successful in adding the string, but still no SLI.

I reassembled the original reg table and copied it back to the registry. I used an early version of the SLI String Installer, an early version of the hal.dll file and manually added the SLI certificates. I finally got it working with unmodded 190.62 drivers.

I didn't leave well enough alone and tried to change drivers. I tried to use the 186.18 drivers. I removed the 190.62 driver via Control Panel, rebooted, installed the new drivers, rebooted and :wtf: no more SLI.

I put the original SLIC reg file (with no manufacturer certificate) back using the assembler programs, reinstalled the 190.62 drivers and rebooted.

This time I used the latest SLIStringinstaller, installed the ASUS certificate, used Halmod v.7, rebooted and I now have SLI :D This time I made an image of the operating system with SLI working :toast:

I have a couple of questions:

1) How does one change drivers? Does the Halmod need to be rerun when you change drivers? Currently, I'm running unmodded 190.62 drivers.

2) I've been following this thread closely, but I have found some points unclear. Does one have to disable driver signature checking when running the mod? I didn't do this, but it wasn't as quite straight forward when modding the system using the SLI string installer and the Halmod.

3) Will all this work need to be redone when Win 7 is finally released?

Thanks for all your efforts.

Last edited:

eRazorzEDGE

System Name Going Broke with Over Clocking
Processor Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.0GHz @ 1.475v, NB @ 3.0GHz @ 1.375v
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair III with EK FC Black Acetal Water Block
Cooling Vapochill SS on CPU @ -15°C idle, 2x Feser 360 Rads, 2x Swifty 655 Vario's, 6x Panaflo Fans
Memory OCZ DDR3 1600MHz 7-7-7-24 @ 1600MHz 7-7-7-21-31-1T @ 1.65v
Video Card(s) 2x XFX 8800GT's for now, waiting on 5870x2's
Storage 2x Raptor 150GB in RAID 0 and 1 VelociRaptor 300GB
Display(s) Chimei 22" Flat Screen - 1680x1050
Case Thermaltake Armor Black
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX X-Fi
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream 900w
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores 25066 3DMark06 with 4870x2 and 955 @ 4.5GHz
Hi, I've been trying to make this work on my Crosshair III with 2x 8800GT's without success. I've tried in Vista 64 bit and now in Win 7 32 bit.

When I try to execute the install.cmd file in the HALmod, it spits back errors saying that it cannot run in this version of windows. I've seen people replying saying they're using either Xp 32 bit or Win 7 64 bit, are those the only two OS's it's working on? I've tried using program compatibility, but to no avail.

Also, when I use the SLIStringInstall, I get the "Unable to create new DSDT table" error. I'm really not sure what to do here. I've looked at the xdevs site trying to figure out how they modify the .dsl file manually, but i just can't seem to grasp what the hell they're doing. To me it seems like they're saying "look for something like this, but it won't be this exactly... now here's what we did, but this is only the end result, we don't have the original for you to compare it to" !?!?

I'd really appreciate some insight here. Thanks.

Hi, I've been trying to make this work on my Crosshair III with 2x 8800GT's without success. I've tried in Vista 64 bit and now in Win 7 32 bit.

When I try to execute the install.cmd file in the HALmod, it spits back errors saying that it cannot run in this version of windows. I've seen people replying saying they're using either Xp 32 bit or Win 7 64 bit, are those the only two OS's it's working on? I've tried using program compatibility, but to no avail.

Also, when I use the SLIStringInstall, I get the "Unable to create new DSDT table" error. I'm really not sure what to do here. I've looked at the xdevs site trying to figure out how they modify the .dsl file manually, but i just can't seem to grasp what the hell they're doing. To me it seems like they're saying "look for something like this, but it won't be this exactly... now here's what we did, but this is only the end result, we don't have the original for you to compare it to" !?!?

I'd really appreciate some insight here. Thanks.

Hi

Welcome to TPU Forum

I'm running the same board as yours, what BIOS version are you using?
Use Win7 x64, for SLI mod.

Be well...

Hello All,

Thanks to anatolymik for his work. I finally managed to get the hack working. I have a Foxconn BlackOps. I'm using Win 7 64 bit 7100 for my operating system. My first try at it, I tried to add theFoxconn certificate into the SLIC registry file. I seemed to be successful in adding the string, but still no SLI.

I reassembled the original reg table and copied it back to the registry. I used an early version of the SLI String Installer, an early version of the hal.dll file and manually added the SLI certificates. I finally got it working with unmodded 190.62 drivers.

I didn't leave well enough alone and tried to change drivers. I tried to use the 186.18 drivers. I removed the 190.62 driver via Control Panel, rebooted, installed the new drivers, rebooted and :wtf: no more SLI.

I put the original SLIC reg file (with no manufacturer certificate) back using the assembler programs, reinstalled the 190.62 drivers and rebooted.

This time I used the latest SLIStringinstaller, installed the ASUS certificate, used Halmod v.7, rebooted and I now have SLI :D This time I made an image of the operating system with SLI working :toast:

I have a couple of questions:

1) How does one change drivers? Does the Halmod need to be rerun when you change drivers? Currently, I'm running unmodded 190.62 drivers.

2) I've been following this thread closely, but I have found some points unclear. Does one have to disable driver signature checking when running the mod? I didn't do this, but it wasn't as quite straight forward when modding the system using the SLI string installer and the Halmod.

3) Will all this work need to be redone when Win 7 is finally released?

Thanks for all your efforts.

Hi

Welcome to TPU Forum

1) No, once you install you don´t need to do it again, with the latest HALMod 0.8, I'd just run 191.03 driver setup, and installed over the 190.8x, no problem at all.

2) Yes, for the driver mod, no need for HALMod.

3) Yes. Or every time you clean install OS.

Be well...

Hi guys, I had to go away for the weekend but I've just had time to do a quick test with windows7 64, but still no SLI for me... :(

I can not test my 790GX board because there is still no fix to make it detect two nvidia cards, so I had to test the old Nforce4 system.

I did a clean install of win7-64, the string installer said it had worked ok but I can not get SLI even with the modded driver in test mode.

I tried all three HALmods (with unmodded drivers) but still no SLI, when it can boot OK then CPUz sees x58 chipset

(but Everest still sees NF4 just like in my XP test), but most of the time I get BSODs and have to restore windows.

anatolymik remember that you said you know why it is not working on nforce4, I notice the table says it is ACPI v1.0 is this the problem?

Also I forgot this BIOS also had a SLIC/SLP mod for OEM activation using an ACER certificate (not ASUS) will this cause more problems??

Please can you help when you get some time, I can send you the new dat files etc (from the clean w7 install) if you need them.

thanks again

Last edited:

eRazorzEDGE

System Name Going Broke with Over Clocking
Processor Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.0GHz @ 1.475v, NB @ 3.0GHz @ 1.375v
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair III with EK FC Black Acetal Water Block
Cooling Vapochill SS on CPU @ -15°C idle, 2x Feser 360 Rads, 2x Swifty 655 Vario's, 6x Panaflo Fans
Memory OCZ DDR3 1600MHz 7-7-7-24 @ 1600MHz 7-7-7-21-31-1T @ 1.65v
Video Card(s) 2x XFX 8800GT's for now, waiting on 5870x2's
Storage 2x Raptor 150GB in RAID 0 and 1 VelociRaptor 300GB
Display(s) Chimei 22" Flat Screen - 1680x1050
Case Thermaltake Armor Black
Audio Device(s) SupremeFX X-Fi
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream 900w
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores 25066 3DMark06 with 4870x2 and 955 @ 4.5GHz
Hi

Welcome to TPU Forum

I'm running the same board as yours, what BIOS version are you using?
Use Win7 x64, for SLI mod.

Be well...

I read one of your earlier posts regarding our board, so I flashed the BIOS with 1003 and change ACPI 2.0 to Enabled with hopes that would help. But as you say use Win 7 64 bit, I guess that's the change I need to make. I just wanted to get a higher and more stable OC with less voltage outta my CPU, only reason I went 32 bit.

You said in that earlier post that you still had to hex edit something... what would I have to do since I get those "unable to blah blah DSDT blah" errors?

I read one of your earlier posts regarding our board, so I flashed the BIOS with 1003 and change ACPI 2.0 to Enabled with hopes that would help. But as you say use Win 7 64 bit, I guess that's the change I need to make. I just wanted to get a higher and more stable OC with less voltage outta my CPU, only reason I went 32 bit.

You said in that earlier post that you still had to hex edit something... what would I have to do since I get those "unable to blah blah DSDT blah" errors?

Ok, for now, if you want test SLI mod, you must use halmod + Win7 x64 for AMD boards, until anatolymik realease an Win7 x86 HALMod version, just give a little more vcore to your OC.

Use this DSDT.

Attachments

• DSDT_A1303000.dat.zip
    26.1 KB · Views: 192
Hi guys, I had to go away for the weekend but I've just had time to do a quick test with windows7 64, but still no SLI for me... :(

I can not test my 790GX board because there is still no fix to make it detect two nvidia cards, so I had to test the old Nforce4 system.

I did a clean install of win7-64, the string installer said it had worked ok but I can not get SLI even with the modded driver in test mode.

I tried all three HALmods (with unmodded drivers) but still no SLI, when it can boot OK then CPUz sees x58 chipset

(but Everest still sees NF4 just like in my XP test), but most of the time I get BSODs and have to restore windows.

anatolymik remember that you said you know why it is not working on nforce4, I notice the table says it is ACPI v1.0 is this the problem?

Also I forgot this BIOS also had a SLIC/SLP mod for OEM activation using an ACER certificate (not ASUS) will this cause more problems??

Please can you help when you get some time, I can send you the new dat files etc (from the clean w7 install) if you need them.

thanks again

i think i know in what matter is. i'm working on new halmod.

cxghjcqr

System Name wolf :D
Processor Q6600
Motherboard GA-EP45-DS4
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P
Memory DDR2 1066 1GB×4 (GEIL Blackdragon by Micron D9GMH pellet)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC N260-896D3 X2 SLI
Storage ST SATA 320G(7200,10)
Display(s) SAMSUNG SyncMaster 226BW
Case Tt Armor.Jr Mini (VC3000BWS)
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Tt AH680
Software windows 7 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://bbs.expreview.com/viewthread.php?tid=24023&extra=page%3D1
Please tell me whether 8800GT +8800GTS can be modified.

cxghjcqr

System Name wolf :D
Processor Q6600
Motherboard GA-EP45-DS4
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P
Memory DDR2 1066 1GB×4 (GEIL Blackdragon by Micron D9GMH pellet)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC N260-896D3 X2 SLI
Storage ST SATA 320G(7200,10)
Display(s) SAMSUNG SyncMaster 226BW
Case Tt Armor.Jr Mini (VC3000BWS)
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Tt AH680
Software windows 7 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://bbs.expreview.com/viewthread.php?tid=24023&extra=page%3D1

panheimer

i'm planning to try SLI string installer and modded 190.62 on a rampage formula and 2x8800 ultra with XP32 installed on a raid 0 partition using intel raid.
will i also encounter bsod issue?

i'm planning to try SLI string installer and modded 190.62 on a rampage formula and 2x8800 ultra with XP32 installed on a raid 0 partition using intel raid.
will i also encounter bsod issue?

as for me, i don't get BSODs on RAID

panheimer

great! ty anatolymik! i'll give it a try this week-end, now i've to find my old sli bridge...
another question: as the 8800 ultra are a bit old, i think i'll keep modded 190.62, but will i be able to create new sli profiles with nhancer to support new games?

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
panheimer

If you can't find your SLI bridge, I'll take a look around to see if I have an extra I can send you. That's if your a CON. USA locale.

panheimer

ty jr but i'm from italy ^^, sry!
i'm sure i've put it somewhere, but can't remember where...i've got my old dfi 680 sitting in a box, so the sli bridge must be somewhere near it!