• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How To: Enable SLI on pre-i7/i5 hardware

All credit of course goes to anatolymik for making the patch. I just bypassed the loader and the BSODs... maybe we could use a different loader to bypass the Test Mode and the BSODs maybe grub4dos???

Also is test mode required for the method that I posted???

the matter isn't in mine or not mine credits :)
the matter is you don't respect the general!
But Zod forgives you.

was a joke :)

Last edited:

DeadlyDNA

did you have 3-way sli on 0.9b with 260.99 drivers? do you use sli bridge?

I do use a 3 way bridge, and I am almost sure all 3 were working in 0.9b but i can go back to it and see if needed.

What happens for me is i can successfully enable 3 way in the nvidia CP, but when i run anything it crashes right at startup of game. sometimes i hear sound repeating from crash but i lose all video signal and have to hard boot.

i can revert back to 0.9b and 260.99 but i was hoping to have latest drivers for testing.
Also even though it worked in 0.9b it was very unstable ... where now when i only use 2 cards it runs flawless.

i know all 3 cards are good because i use them on my i7 board primarily. i just wanted to get a taste of it on an AMD 6 core for multi gpu performance in more recent games

I do use a 3 way bridge, and I am almost sure all 3 were working in 0.9b but i can go back to it and see if needed.

What happens for me is i can successfully enable 3 way in the nvidia CP, but when i run anything it crashes right at startup of game. sometimes i hear sound repeating from crash but i lose all video signal and have to hard boot.

i can revert back to 0.9b and 260.99 but i was hoping to have latest drivers for testing.
Also even though it worked in 0.9b it was very unstable ... where now when i only use 2 cards it runs flawless.

i know all 3 cards are good because i use them on my i7 board primarily. i just wanted to get a taste of it on an AMD 6 core for multi gpu performance in more recent games

so you can enable 3-way sli but it's unstable. right?

DeadlyDNA

so you can enable 3-way sli but it's unstable. right?

Yes i can enable 3 way via nvidia CP, i have had some issues sometimes with it crapping out when it attempts to enable SLI. However right now i got it setup so i can run it flawless on 2 way, but 3 way crashes no matter what fullscreen game i run. I have to reboot machine to get back to windows.

3 way = no go

Also. i jsut ran a benchmark and i am sure now that 3 way was working in .9b and 260.99drivers.

Yes i can enable 3 way via nvidia CP, i have had some issues sometimes with it crapping out when it attempts to enable SLI. However right now i got it setup so i can run it flawless on 2 way, but 3 way crashes no matter what fullscreen game i run. I have to reboot machine to get back to windows.

3 way = no go

Also. i jsut ran a benchmark and i am sure now that 3 way was working in .9b and 260.99drivers.

try to install 260.99 but use 1.0 patch. i need it know.

System Name Black-Raptor
Processor Intel i7 2600K @4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X UD4 B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory Corsair XMS3 8Gb
Video Card(s) SLI GTX 660Ti
Storage 500Gb Samsung, 80Gb Maxtor
Case Tt V3 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Recon3D
Power Supply Tt Toughpower XT 750w
I got the patch working without the BSODs

What I did:

Hacked bios to have sli cert (not sure if this is necessary)
Installed windows and latest nvidia drivers
Installed SLIpatch
Disabled driver signing
Copied C:\Windows\System32\halsli.dll to hal.dll
Copied C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnp.exe to ntoskrnl.exe
Boot regular windows 7 without patch

SLI is enabled and no BSOD!!!

EDIT: I also have avast installed and I have no problems. :)

If you backed up your files which I recommend that you do backup the patched files and restore your original files then uninstall the patch. When done replace the original files with the patched ones again and you should be good to go without having the patch installed.

Hello mate, can you describe with more detail your method, there are some points that I don’t understand, I have already hacked my bios and now has SLI certification but I get lost in the next steps

The point is to have several methods, you know the saying; “Divide and you will conquer”

DeadlyDNA

then try 0.9 patch with 260.99
i must be sure it's because of patch

patch 0.9b
nvidia 260.99

3 way = pass

However MSI KOMBUSTOR crashes when enabled in full screen. It crashes just like 1.0 patch does with 3 way enabled.

tested

FFXIV benchmark
MEtro2033 Benchmark
Monitored GPU usages on MSI afterburner. All 3 gpus show activity. and 3 way works.

Im off to bed, i will return tomorrow for more fun! Thanks for the ultra quick replys!

DeadlyDNA

l33tlinuxh4x0r and juanchacin both tell me please what you use bios with cert for?
When you replaced original files with patched you did nothing. And if it make avast goes crazy then it tells only avast is weak antivirus. His mood depends on what kernel and hal you boot. As far as i understand you reinstalled windows. If it is, try to recall was there something else what could affect on the boot. there could be an combination of utilities.

patch 0.9b
nvidia 260.99

3 way = pass

However MSI KOMBUSTOR crashes when enabled in full screen. It crashes just like 1.0 patch does with 3 way enabled.

tested

FFXIV benchmark
MEtro2033 Benchmark
Monitored GPU usages on MSI afterburner. All 3 gpus show activity. and 3 way works.

Im off to bed, i will return tomorrow for more fun! Thanks for the ultra quick replys!

as i told i'm preparing testing patches. we can try.

l33tlinuxh4x0r

l33tlinuxh4x0r and juanchacin both tell me please what you use bios with cert for?
When you replaced original files with patched you did nothing. And if it make avast goes crazy then it tells only avast is weak antivirus. His mood depends on what kernel and hal you boot. As far as i understand you reinstalled windows. If it is, try to recall was there something else what could affect on the boot. there could be an combination of utilities.

I was going to try to do the old bios/hal only mod but it doesn't work with the newer drivers.

Also I already determined that it is avast and just avast causing the problem when using osloader7.exe

eliminate osloader7.exe and everything works fine and might be a placebo but I seem to be getting more fps in games too!!!

I was going to try to do the old bios/hal only mod but it doesn't work with the newer drivers.

Also I already determined that it is avast and just avast causing the problem when using osloader7.exe

eliminate osloader7.exe and everything works fine and might be a placebo but I seem to be getting more fps in games too!!!

osloader7 it's hacked loader. thanks for researching. i should take a look. at weekend i'll have a time. by the way. hacked loader allows load unsigned drivers without any test mode. and by the way. cert in bios absolutely senseless with patch. because patch return to driver which hard-coded in it.

System Name Black-Raptor
Processor Intel i7 2600K @4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X UD4 B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory Corsair XMS3 8Gb
Video Card(s) SLI GTX 660Ti
Storage 500Gb Samsung, 80Gb Maxtor
Case Tt V3 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Recon3D
Power Supply Tt Toughpower XT 750w

Hi mate, I just do it to try other methods, -For me it is better to have several ways to do the things, but I have to say that the SLIPatch is by far the best:rockout:, so ill keep following your work.

Keep up the good work anatolymik and keep reporting people!!!

Max One

Hey guys,

today i tried the new Avast Internet Security 6 (6.0.1000), i was hoping it will fix my problem that i mentioned at my older post, but sadly it doesn´t. Latest Avast Internenet Security with the latest SLI Patch (SLI Patch_v1.0_final) is still causing the same problem as before. Every Avast Internet Security Version later than 5.0.677 will end in a BSOD after the windows 7 boot logo. With the latest Free Version of Avast (6.0.1000) i have no problems yet.

Here my older posts, maybe it was overlooked :p

Post #4864
I figured out using sli patch with newest Avast Internet Security Version 5.1.889 ends in a bsod. In that case u have to use the previous Version 5.0.677 or wait for a newer patch maybe Anatolymik will fix it in the next release . And another 1 small thing what i noticed is the function when u right click on desctop u have the option to use ur sandbox from avast. But with slli patch enabled it wont shop up on rightclick.

Thats all for now =)

Btw nice new site thumbs up.

Max 1

Post #4852
My rig:

X6 1055T
4gb ram
Asus Crosshair IV Formula
2 x 8800 gts 512 mb
Windows 7 x64

Thx in advance and sry for my english, it isnt the best.

Max 1

At the moment i´m still on Avast 6 Free with nVidia driver 267.05 until new sli patch arrives, i hope Anatolymik can fix it as soon as possible.

If you need a beta tester, i´ll be ready if i´m needed.

Max 1 :)

Last edited:

l33tlinuxh4x0r

Hey guys,

today i tried the new Avast Internet Security 6 (6.0.1000), i was hoping it will fix my problem that i mentioned at my older post, but sadly it doesn´t. Latest Avast Internenet Security with the latest SLI Patch (SLI Patch_v1.0_final) is still causing the same problem as before. Every Avast Internet Security Version later than 5.0.677 will end in a BSOD after the windows 7 boot logo. With the latest Free Version of Avast (6.0.1000) i have no problems yet.

Here my older posts, maybe it was overlooked :p

Post #4864

Post #4852

At the moment i´m still on Avast 6 Free with nVidia driver 267.05 until new sli patch arrives, i hope Anatolymik can fix it as soon as possible.

If you need a beta tester, i´ll be ready if i´m needed.

Max 1 :)

I got the patch working without the BSODs

What I did:

Hacked bios to have sli cert (not sure if this is necessary)
Installed windows and latest nvidia drivers
Installed SLIpatch
Disabled driver signing
Boot regular windows 7 without patch

SLI is enabled and no BSOD!!!

EDIT: I also have avast installed and I have no problems. :)

If you backed up your files which I recommend that you do backup the patched files and restore your original files then uninstall the patch. When done replace the original files with the patched ones again and you should be good to go without having the patch installed.

READ my post... it will help you until another version of the patch is released... The problem is with the winloader in the patch if we bypass winloader we are golden!

Max One

I dont understand those 2 sentences, can u explain it more detailed? Did u copied or renamed them? Sry im a bit confused now.:confused:

Thx

Max 1

Last edited:

l33tlinuxh4x0r

I dont understand those 2 sentences, can u explain it more detailed?

Thx

Max 1

Sure...

Copy the file in C:\Windows\System32\halsli.dll to C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll
Copy the file in C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnp.exe to C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe

you will have to move (backup) the originals and you might have to change ownership and take permissions of the files.

Right click on the file go to Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner >Edit (select your username) you have to be an admin
then press ok to everything. After that Right click on the file go to Properties > Security > Edit and enable full control for the computer administrators and your username then ok all the way out and rename the files hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe to hal.dll.bak and ntoskrnl.exe.bak respectivly.

Hope that this helps :)

Max One

l33tlinuxh4x0r i followed ur instructions but the result wasnt positive. After booting regular in windows 7 without patch, windows startet to repair my windows. In the description of the error i read something about "ntoskrnl.exe is damaged". so i dunno what im doing wrong.

I tried it more times always getting same result. :/

It would be very useful to make for us an "Idiot Proof" tutorial, i bet you´ll earn a lot of thanks by many users. =)

Max 1

l33tlinuxh4x0r

l33tlinuxh4x0r i followed ur instructions but the result wasnt positive. After booting regular in windows 7 without patch, windows startet to repair my windows. In the description of the error i read something about "ntoskrnl.exe is damaged". so i dunno what im doing wrong.

I tried it more times always getting same result. :/

It would be very useful to make for us an "Idiot Proof" tutorial, i bet you´ll earn a lot of thanks by many users. =)

Max 1

Did you disable driver signing??? if you don't do that then windows will try to fix the kernel for sure.

l33tlinuxh4x0r

My Tutorial ID10T proof (hopefully)

Pre requisites:
Install windows and latest nvidia drivers
Install SLIpatch

Fixing the patch...

Run command prompt as administrator!

Type the following in command prompt:
Code:
copy C:\Windows\System32\halsli.dll to C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll.slied
copy C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnp.exe to C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe.slied
Remove the sli patch now

then continue typing
Code:
bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
takeown -F C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll
takeown -F C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe
cacls C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll /E /G administrator:F
cacls C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe /E /G administrator:F
copy C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll to C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll.bak
copy C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe to C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe.bak
del  C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll
copy C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll.slied to C:\Windows\System32\hal.dll
del C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe
copy C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe.slied to C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe

Reboot SLI will be able to be enabled and no BSODs and no additional boot entries!!!

To enable SLI go to nvidia control panel and enable it :p

If windows tries to repair itself Test mode is not on. Reboot and press F8 to get advanced boot options and disable driver signing verification. Once you get back into windows enable test mode. There is a handy tool that will do this for you if the above doesn't work. It can be found at the following link. http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo It has a nice gui just select enable test mode click ok then select exit and click ok. Reboot and test mode will be on.

NOTE: this enables Test Mode which is no different than using a loader except for the watermark in the bottom right corner of the screen. This can be removed however I did not remove it as it doesn't bother me that much.
just download the latest version of the following and run it it will bring up a command prompt and ask you some questions press yes or enter to all of them and it will go away... reboot and you should no longer have the watermark.
http://deepxw.blogspot.com/2008/12/remove-watermark-v03-build-20081210.html

EDIT: the following should not be necessary anymore however if the above doesn't work you might have to change ownership and the permissions of the files.

To do so:

Right click on the file go to Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner >Edit (select your account username it has to be an admin account)
then press ok to everything. After that Right click on the file go to Properties > Security > Edit and enable full control for the computer administrators and your username then ok all the way out

Hopefully this will be added to the Official SLIPatch.

Last edited:
NOTE: this enables Test Mode which is no different than using a loader except for the watermark in the bottom right corner of the screen.
I have read that running in test mode breaks windows media DRM and maybe HDCP, I don't know if this is true, can anyone test it?

l33tlinuxh4x0r

I have read that running in test mode breaks windows media DRM and maybe HDCP, I don't know if this is true, can anyone test it?

HDCP is working however I do not know about DRM as I don't use it.

Also like stated before the loader used in the official patch also uses test mode it just doesn't have the watermark.