1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to get back the data which were stored on hard drive

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by rafferty, Dec 21, 2011.

1. rafferty New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last week i was watching 300 on my computer windows 7 computer. There was sudden fluctuation and my computer turned off. When again i turned ON my computer the drive from which i was watching 300 movie does not open. It says i need to format the hard drive before using it. My friend says i need to format the drive to use it. But as far as i know formatting deletes all files from the drive. I dont know how to access the files from that drive as it has my notes and seminars in it. I did not access that drive from past one week and wanna get the files which were stored in it.

2. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe

Thanks Received:
    The best thing to do is to NOT DO ANYTHING.

Data CAN often be recovered from a drive with problems like this - BUT If you format it, you will ruin almost any chance of that data being recovered.

You should seek the assistance of a Data Recovery technician in your area - Unless you are already quite practiced in the art of Data Recovery, it is a very BAD idea to try it yourself. YES there are things you can try at home - but if they don't work out the first time round, the data will be even worse than it was before - a proper recovery agency will be able to CLONE the drive before beginning any recovery attempt, and thus be able to try various methods safely without actually risking the data on the drive.

Just Google for "Data Recovery" and your area - and that should get you started - call a few places up and see what their pricing is like.

If your data really is important to you, its not worth trying to recover it yourself. There is a good chance you will just do more damage.

It is also best to keep in mind that although data often can be recovered - there are occasions on which it cannot be - depending on the nature of the drive failure - no matter how skilled your recovery agency may be - this is a sad fact of life. If you do manage to recover your data THIS time - REMEMBER THAT NEXT TIME YOU MAY NOT - and always keep proper backups of important data - even if you just copy your most important work to a large flash drive.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  3. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Be aware that these services can also be really expensive.

edit: If this data is critical enough and you've got the cash, SalvageData is one of the best in the industry I think, with lots of major clients. Take a look at their pricing page, particularly the tab for EcoSalvage: http://www.salvagedata.com/terms/service-options/

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  4. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  5. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
  6. kns New Member

Thanks Received:
    I once had the same problem and running chkdsk solved the problem and i was able to access the files.
    But my os was windows xp with ntfs partition. I guess it may work here also.
    Just run
    CHKDSK C: /R
    at command prompt. Replace C with the drive thats not working.