• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to install stuff for Yellow Dog 6.1

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
I got this torrent downloader that I download but I can't figure out how to install it. First time Linux user so its a bit perplexing. Its like a .taz file or something.

cyberfriend

The term linux itself makes you the question on user friendly ness , it shows that linux is not user friendly, but it is also changing and opensource market is rising today,
All linux versions are friendly as some of them are in commercial market also, if you want a free and user friendly OS. then i would recommand fedora linux

System Name Fedora-bluesky
Processor AMD FX 8350
Motherboard Asus 970A Pro Gaming
Cooling Noctua U14S
Memory Kingston 2x8192MB 667MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 960TI
Storage 2 x WD RED 2TB, 64GB SSD
Display(s) Dell 1920x1200 24"
Software Ubuntu, Fedora, Open Source Software...
Read the first post, and forget stupid windows habit of downloading/hunting the software from web! Linux is not windows you know?

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=3017

You do this by selecting the menu item:
Applications -> System Tools -> Add/Remove Software

Once the Package Manager is loaded you can Search, Browse, or List the available applications. If you see something you want to install, you simply check the box next to it and click Apply (or the menu item File -> Apply). Then it will show what package(s) you selected and give you the option to Cancel or Continue. Don't go crazy with it -- try installing just one thing at a time at first!