1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How-to: Pencil mod your HD 3870!

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Random Murderer, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Random Murderer

Random Murderer The Anti-Midas

Thanks Received:
    nice work. i like the halved molex connector as measurement points ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. LaidLawJones Guest

Necessity

Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

Thank you for the reply. My case is very crammed and after sticking the probe in to obtain a reading, I decided that I was either, A, going to touch two points on the board with the probe and short out something, or B, push two of the wires together and short something out.

A Random question. You are running a 9800GTX. Is this for Physx? I have an empty pci-e slot and have read that it can be done.

Thanx Again.

Attached Files:

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    no, the 9800gtx+ is the graphics card in my father's system.
    ati+physics can be done, but it will only benefit you on windows 7.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    XP can do it too. Works well as long as you don't need DX10.

thoughtdisorder says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Xanthe_ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sapphire Radeon 3850 512mb shading with a pencil that what is on red (in picture) i got 1,42v in 2D and 1,48-1,49v in 3D :D if shade 1 upper than what is on red (that black thing) i got +2v [oops] Same card than kellottajaFIN has.

Random Murderer says thanks.
  6. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for that Wiley! Did not know that! :)

7. ViDER New Member

Thanks Received:
    A very nice mod, but won't your electrical bill rise up by playing games? like Crysis?

I have a samll issue....

Gaming is not that much of an issue, I've got the 010.071 bios on my card and the reason I am here is that the darn fan drives me NUTS ! At Idle times (or light 2D) this card jumps from 25% to a whopping 70% fan speed. I can't, can't concentrate on work, can't watch x264 encoded material, can't listen to music without driving my neighbors nuts, can't do JACK ! I'm only more and more tempted to pull out either my old x300 or my trusty ol' 7800 GTX which was far more quiet than this monster.

What should I do ? ? Flash or not? and if so which one has the lowest spinning speed at idle (or light 2D usage)?

Thanks

*Fan spin speed has been monitored by Riva 2.24

Edit 4:
    Ok, problem solved (almost) it's quiet easy. All any one has to do is just backup their own BIOS file (of the video card, if you have more then one then backup both of your video card bioses, or back all your video card bioses). Open RBE load those bioses, one at a time go to the FAN tab and press the magic button
    "set all fan settings to recommended values" and you done. Works like a charm.

BUT once again FLASHING YOUR CARD MAY KILL IT if done improperly ! ! ! !

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  8. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    You could use Radeon Bios Editor to apply the fan fix or even change fan speeds.
    That way you'll be using your own working BIOS, but you can also download one if you like.

Click for RBE

9. ViDER New Member

Thanks Received:
    Holly molly! Thrackan that was quiet fast!

I will give it a try now, as I've been up all night trying to get this thing solved (had a day of work yesterday as well so I'm dead tired, but this, I just can't hold it)

I'll stay here :)

Edit 4:
    Ok, problem solved (almost) it's quiet easy. All any one has to do is just backup their own BIOS file (of the video card, if you have more then one then backup both of your video card bioses, or back all your video card bioses). Open RBE load those bioses, one at a time go to the FAN tab and press the magic button

10. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Just doublecheck everything, twice.
    BIOS flashing is still not to be taken lightly.

11. ViDER New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know, I had freak ups in the past, had my lessons with Mobos that would die. Know what it is, will take the steps to first make a USB boot able device, reading RBE's FAQ now. Thanks again !

Edit 4:

12. ViDER New Member

Thanks Received:
    My God! What looked like a simple ATi car bought from kijiji, turns out to be a :
    "DIAMOND EXTREME PC RADEON HD 3870 EXTREME XXX EDITION".

I don't like the XXX edition, reminds of GCube :S

Edit 4:

13. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Reminds me of pr0n :D

Did you flash it?

14. ViDER New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just found something even better!

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=542620&page=2

The guy on the 2nd page has both of the bios es! but sendspace removed them!

Edit:
    Need to dig out the file from send space or find the other MAXXX version, this one looks like something I could use :)

Edit 2:
    There is another bios 010.079.000.005 this one seems to solve the noise issue and above all it's one of the recent ones : 3/3/2008

Edit 3:
    Found the 010.079.000.005, it's here at techPower-Up : http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=58634 and it's an HIS HD 3870 IceQ 3 Turbo edition bios.

So should I mount it in? or try and get the MAXXX one?

Edit 4:

15. Thrackan

Thrackan

Thanks Received:
    Personal opinion: better to use your own card's BIOS. Just dump it using GPU-Z or something.
    At least you're sure you're using a correct version then.

ViDER says thanks.
  16. arroyo

arroyo

Thanks Received:
    arroyo - that's me
    I have HD4850 but I've had HD3870 @ MAXXX. HIS HD 3870 IceQ 3 Turbo didn't work on reference HD3870, but MAXXX was great :rockout:

Here you are... best bios for HD3870 !

Attached Files:

ViDER says thanks.
  17. ViDER New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you so much! Thank you so much! I hope this will solve that darn issue!

By the way, 03/03/2008 didn't work for you? what happened? Black screen?

The one you've posted the link to you sure it's the
    "DIAMOND EXTREME PC RADEON HD 3870 EXTREME MAXXX EDITION"
    and not
    "DIAMOND EXTREME PC RADEON HD 3870 EXTREME XXX EDITION"

Edit:

18. arroyo

arroyo

Thanks Received:
    It's the DIAMOND EXTREME PC RADEON HD 3870 EXTREME XXX EDITION...sorry, but I will look on my HDD for the proper one.
    Only difference between two of those is core clock.

ViDER says thanks.
  19. ViDER New Member

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't the MAXXX edition has a less violent Fan speed switching mode, my fan jumps from 25% to 60% like crazy only because the fact that my card reads 60c.. it can't be my case is open and it's still going crazy. Thanks can't wait for the MAXXX file (Maybe you recall what was the version of that bios by any chance? :? )

Edit:

20. arroyo

arroyo

Thanks Received:
    Yes you are right. There was that kind of problem. MAXXX didn't had it. I bought Accelero S1, so the problem doesn't exist. If I only find MAXXX bios I will attach it here.

21. d3v0 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Doing a SERIOUS thread necro, sorry guys.

But I am lost. I have a Visiontek HD3870 512MB GDDR4 with the non-ref Zero-therm copper heatsink cooler and I read this entire thread. The first two pics by the OP do not apply as this PCB does not have the R1222. Also, later posts by Cuboard where the OP said where to shade do not apply either, as my DMM (which works for my other 3870 reference w/ r1222) reads 0 ohms on the resistor he said to shade.

I shaded it anyway, about as much as I did my other 3870s to get ~1.41ish vcore, but the vcore read 1.31v under load after the pencil mod.

Here are some pics of my PCB, sorry if they arent great quality, the "macro" setting on my F100fd fails.

Please, any help will be greatly appreciated, I love these cards, they would respond so well to a pencil vmod since they run so cool! Also, one of them does 877/1287 stable on stock voltages....I cant imagine how high it would go with 1.45v.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. riggnix New Member

Thanks Received:
    after 1 "SERIOUS thread necro" i'm sorry that i have to do another ;-)

first of all, great thread RM.

I'm owning a ASUS EAH 3870 TOP, which is a non reference board. as i saw in this thread there were some questions about this card but no mod. so i hope you can help me and the other 3870top owners to get a bit more volts.

there were some pictures of this card before i think, but if you need some high res pictures and resistor values just ask for it ;-)

i just need a clue what IC and what pin is my feedback pin to find the right resistor.

23. Random Murderer

Thanks Received:
    maybe i can finally nail this mod down if you can actually provide clear, hi res shots of the card. i would like 4 of them: front bottom, back bottom, front top(sans cooler(s)), back top. if that's too much, then just take one shot of each side of the card and then i'll circle areas i need better shots of.
    Thanks,
    ~RM~

riggnix says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  24. riggnix New Member

Thanks Received:
    i don'T know if i'll get to it today, but tomorrow i'll try to load them up, be patient :toast:

25. riggnix New Member

Thanks Received: