• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to "really" unlock voltage control on an ASUS HD7970-DC2-3GD5.

System Name Custom Build
Processor Intel Core I-5 8600k
Motherboard Asus Maximus Hero X Wifi/AC
Cooling EKWB custom loop
Memory 16Gb DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1080Ti Waterforce WB Extreme Edition
Storage Samsung EVO M.2 500GB plus 2 RAID configs
Display(s) LG 55EG9600 OLED
Case Corsair
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma w/green switches
Software Windows 10 Build 17661
Hello everyone, I have had this card for a couple years now and have been trying to unlock voltage control since I purchased it when it was $499 at Newegg. I finally found a solution. The Asus GPUTweak 2.2.1.4 option does not work... All HW monitor programs never read over 1.170v with any overclocking software. GPUTweak (all versions) never read anything over 1.084v. Now that has all changed.
I found out that the Asus ROG MATRIX-R9280X-P-3GD5 has the same video out layout as my HD7970-dc2-3gd5. Furthermore, all R9 200 series cards are essentially the same as the HD 7000 series as we all already know.
So I flashed this bios "http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/149810/asus-r9280x-3072-130827-3.html", with the latest AtiFlash on a bootable USB flash drive : . Now My idle Temps have lowered from 40c to 34c average. It can reach 1130mhz core and 1650mhz mem without hitting over 66c or displaying artifacts in the Valley Benchmark 1.0 on the Extreme HD preset.
With the HD7970 original bios, clocked at 1040/1500 the card was hitting 70c in Valley 1.0, and would display artifacts at 1090mhz.... It will go higher but I need better cooling to achieve stability when going much over my current overclock (displayed in the posted image)
The second image is proof that GPUTweak reads that the voltage is above the 1.170v limit that these cards have.

Also GPUZ reads 1.256v

[edit] so thanks to Dave(cadaveca) :) I have learned that this only seem's to work for version 1.00 cards, I am posting another pic of My cards PCB with the backplate off showing the revision number.

I hope this helps someone to unlock their voltage on a ASUS HD7970 DC2 3GD5. Rev. 1.00x :)

Attachments

• Screenshot (20).png
    Screenshot (20).png
    519.6 KB · Views: 1,255
  • Screenshot (21).png
    Screenshot (21).png
    846.4 KB · Views: 1,127
  • Screenshot (23).png
    Screenshot (23).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,077
  • P_20140924_194315.jpg
    P_20140924_194315.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,135
Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
System Name TITAN Slayer / CPUCannon / MassFX
Processor i7 5960X @ 4.6Ghz / i7 3960x @5.0Ghz / FX6350 @ 4.?Ghz
Motherboard Rampage V Extreme / Rampage IV Extreme / MSI 970 Gaming
Cooling Phanteks PHTC14PE 2.5K 145mm TRs / Custom waterloop / Phanteks PHTC14PE + 3K 140mm Noctuas
Memory Crucial 2666 11-13-13-25 1.45V / G.skill RipjawsX 2400 10-12-12-34 1.7V / Crucial 2133 9-9-9-27 1.7V
Video Card(s) 3 Fury X in CF / R9 Fury 3840 cores 1145/570 1.3V / Nothing ATM
Storage 500GB Crucial SSD and 3TB WD Black / WD 1TB Black(OS) + WD 3TB Green / WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) LG 29UM67 80Hz/Asus mx299q 2560x1080 @ 84Hz / Asus VX239 1920x1080 @60hz
Case Dismatech easy v3.0 / Xigmatek Alfar (Open side panel)
Audio Device(s) M-audio M-track / realtek ALC 1150
Power Supply EVGA G2 1600W / CoolerMaster V1000 / Seasonic 620 M12-II
Mouse Mouse in review process/Razer Naga Epic 2011/Razer Naga 2014
Keyboard Keyboard in review process / Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014/Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2011
Software Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate
Benchmark Scores cinebench 15.41 3960x @ 5.3ghz Wprime32m 3.352 3960x @ 5.25ghz Super PI 32m: 6m 42s 472ms @5.25ghz
I'm suprised the VRM didn't screw you over but I guess Asus just used doublers on the ROG MATRIX with the same controller as the DCUII. If they didn't rebrand the controllers we would know for sure.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
what software reads, and what the card actually gets, is not correct with v1.01 cards. Voltage control works on V1.0 cards only.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Here GPUZ reads 1.256v
I had this card, I know what it does. the VID set, and the VRM actually supplying that voltage, are two different things. This is what I did to mine:

You'll notice my mod point is different than the one shown with the backplate on, and I'll just say that this topic has been beaten like a dead horse many times over. Even the built-in voltage controls some ASUS boards have, or the OC panel offers, doesn't work on v1.01 cards..it LOWERS voltage instead of raising it, since the VRM controller design is different depending on which version of card you have.

I ended up modding the card myself for voltage control, and even then, the gains were minimal, since once vGPU does actually go up, the VRM voltage drops more.

GPU-Z doesn't even actually show GPU voltage...it shows VRM voltage. ROFL.

That said, flashing the 280X BIOS can work, for sure, and you can also flash the MATRIX 7970 BIOS, too. Neither will enable voltage control if you have the wrong card version (which most cards except the first batch of cards are).

That's why voltage controls don't work right...what gets set is VRM voltage no VGPU. Unfortunate, but since the card PCB was revised and voltage control was then removed, I'll just say ASUS did it intentionally. :p

Last edited:
System Name Custom Build
Cooling EKWB custom loop
Memory 16Gb DDR4
Case Corsair
Mouse Razer Basilisk
I had this card, I know what it does. the VID set, and the VRM actually supplying that voltage, are two different things. This is what I did to mine:

You'll notice my mod point is different than the one shown with the backplate on, and I'll just say that this topic has been beaten like a dead horse many times over. Even the built-in voltage controls some ASUS boards have, or the OC panel offers, doesn't work on v1.01 cards..it LOWERS voltage instead of raising it, since the VRM controller design is different depending on which version of card you have.

I ended up modding the card myself for voltage control, and even then, the gains were minimal, since once vGPU does actually go up, the VRM voltage drops more.

GPU-Z doesn't even actually show GPU voltage...it shows VRM voltage. ROFL.

That said, flashing the 280X BIOS can work, for sure, and you can also flash the MATRIX 7970 BIOS, too. Neither will enable voltage control if you have the wrong card version (which most cards except the first batch of cards are).

That's why voltage controls don't work right...what gets set is VRM voltage no VGPU. Unfortunate, but since the card PCB was revised and voltage control was then removed, I'll just say ASUS did it intentionally. :p

Interesting, you must really know your stuff. I am not sure which version I have but I know it was right when they first came out when I purchased it. So I assume I must have the 1.0 version?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Interesting, you must really know your stuff. I am not sure which version I have but I know it was right when they first came out when I purchased it. So I assume I must have the 1.0 version?
I do the motherboard and memory reviews here @ TPU, so yeah, I do have a decent general understanding of how things work, but that doesn't mean I always know what I'm talking about. :p ROFL.

As to your card, yeah, if card now OC's more than 50 MHz better than with original BOIS ,then voltage control may be unlocked. In this case (which can be easily figured out by pulling the backplate and looking at the PCB itself like you see in my first pic), I'd suggest using the 7970 MATRIX BIOS rather than the 280X MATRIX BIOS. I still have my 7970 MATRIX that I got after my DCUII, and the difference was amazing. After doing LOTS of testing (I also used these cards in my reviews for quite some time), I ended up using the 7970 BIOS version.

There are two different versions of the DCUII BIOS clock-wise (and about 15 different ones all told), and two different versions of the MATRIX BIOS... You can flash BIOSes and play a bit more and maybe find that one of them works better than the other three.

Manyy BIOSes here for you to try:

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?architecture=&manufacturer=Asus&model=HD 7970&interface=&memType=&memSize=

I'd focus on the 1000/1400 and 1050/1500 BIOSes. Certain versions will make the card not work properly at all, since there are these PCB revisions, but since the card has dual BIOS, recovering from a "bad" flash is pretty easy.

If you have version 1.00 card, you'll see that the area on the front of the card, next to VRM controller, which I showed in the second pic, is different by the "N" in that pic (north of that "N", left of the VRM controller DIGI+ chip))

Last edited:
System Name Custom Build
Cooling EKWB custom loop
Memory 16Gb DDR4
Case Corsair
Mouse Razer Basilisk
I do the motherboard and memory reviews here @ TPU, so yeah, I do have a decent general understanding of how things work, but that doesn't mean I always know what I'm talking about. :p ROFL.

As to your card, yeah, if card now OC's more than 50 MHz better than with original BOIS ,then voltage control may be unlocked. In this case (which can be easily figured out by pulling the backplate and looking at the PCB itself like you see in my first pic), I'd suggest using the 7970 MATRIX BIOS rather than the 280X MATRIX BIOS. I still have my 7970 MATRIX that I got after my DCUII, and the difference was amazing. After doing LOTS of testing (I also used these cards in my reviews for quite some time), I ended up using the 7970 BIOS version.

There are two different versions of the DCUII BIOS clock-wise (and about 15 different ones all told), and two different versions of the MATRIX BIOS... You can flash BIOSes and play a bit more and maybe find that one of them works better than the other three.

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?architecture=&manufacturer=Asus&model=HD 7970&interface=&memType=&memSize=

I'd focus on the 1000/1400 and 1050/1500 BIOSes. Certain versions will make the card not work properly at all, since there are these PCB revisions, but since the card has dual BIOS, recovering from a "bad" flash is pretty easy.

If you have version 1.00 card, you'll see that the area on the front of the card, next to VRM controller, which I showed in the second pic, is different by the "N" in that pic (north of that "N", left of the VRM controller DIGI+ chip))

Awesome! And thank you! Hey I will get back to you on this. A friend just showed up so I'll reply back in a few hours at most.

System Name Custom Build
Cooling EKWB custom loop
Memory 16Gb DDR4
Case Corsair
Mouse Razer Basilisk

Hello Dave, and thank you again , I have posted an image of my card's PCB in the initial post. It is rev. 1.00x

I will try the bios from a Matrix 7970 as you suggested, I will flash it to the 2nd bios and let you all know the results.

As of now, the results with the Matrix 280x bios far surpass the overclocking ability than with the original bios. I would lose stability going past 1040mhz core. But now, raising the voltage in GPUTweak definitely increases the temps without even changing clock speeds., and I have achieved 1130mhz stable at 1.163v. When I raised the clock to 1150mhz, I also raise the voltage to 1.188v, when i do that I get instability, displaying artifacts running Valley Extreme HD preset at about scene 14 with temps around 67c

I just did some more tests and it seems that the more I raise the voltage slider, even without changing the frequencies from 1150/1650, the more unstable it gets. That is with the 280x bios.

Attachments

• Screenshot (24).png
    Screenshot (24).png
    624.2 KB · Views: 733
Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Sounds like you lucked out on the PCB, then. You card should have supported proper voltage control, anyway, so in regards to whatever problems you encounter, it could be related to the memory OC, the memory voltage, the GUP's quality, or just even the BIOS itself. Try the 7970 BIOS, maybe it works better for you. It did for me, even without voltage control, hence why I recommend it.

System Name Custom Build
Cooling EKWB custom loop
Memory 16Gb DDR4
Case Corsair
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Sounds like you lucked out on the PCB, then. You card should have supported proper voltage control, anyway, so in regards to whatever problems you encounter, it could be related to the memory OC, the memory voltage, the GUP's quality, or just even the BIOS itself. Try the 7970 BIOS, maybe it works better for you. It did for me, even without voltage control, hence why I recommend it.

I literally just got done trying every Matrix 7970 bios I could find from TechPowerUp's GPU bios database. And to my surprise everyone of them cause a bsod. I should mention I am running Windows 8.1 Pro x64 in UEFI mode. Not sure if there is a conflict in the 7970 bios with UEFI mode. At first I didnt touch my drivers before trying the 7970 bios...flashed...rebooted...bsod at windows login.. So I went into safe mode, uninstalled the drivers, rebooted, tried to install Catalyst 14.7 and it hangs at the checking hardware step of the install. I did this with all the matrix 7970 bios's.. "scratching my head" lol Idk why they wont work.. So now I am back to the Matrix Platinum 280x bios.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I literally just got done trying every Matrix 7970 bios I could find from TechPowerUp's GPU bios database. And to my surprise everyone of them cause a bsod. I should mention I am running Windows 8.1 Pro x64 in UEFI mode. Not sure if there is a conflict in the 7970 bios with UEFI mode. At first I didnt touch my drivers before trying the 7970 bios...flashed...rebooted...bsod at windows login.. So I went into safe mode, uninstalled the drivers, rebooted, tried to install Catalyst 14.7 and it hangs at the checking hardware step of the install. I did this with all the matrix 7970 bios's.. "scratching my head" lol Idk why they wont work.. So now I am back to the Matrix Platinum 280x bios.
Maybe they only work with the v1.01 PCBs, since I know that original BOISes that work on your card don't work on the v1.01. That's why I mentioned that could happen in the first place. Sounds like the 280X BIOS has info for both types of VRM design in it. Welcome to the weirdness that is the DCUII.

At least you got voltage control back, but as far as I know, it should have worked since day 1. So you still had some good info to share with you OP; that's cool.

At the same time, there are distinct differences in the BIOSes. If yyou get yourself RBE (Radeon BIOS Editor), you should be able to check which version the BIOS is, without having to flash it on the card.

you might also want to try Sapphire Trixx for voltage control; it has a simpler interface for software clock/voltage controls, and might work with your original BIOS, too.

System Name Custom Build
Cooling EKWB custom loop
Memory 16Gb DDR4
Case Corsair
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Maybe they only work with the v1.01 PCBs, since I know that original BOISes that work on your card don't work on the v1.01. That's why I mentioned that could happen in the first place. Sounds like the 280X BIOS has info for both types of VRM design in it. Welcome to the weirdness that is the DCUII.

At least you got voltage control back, but as far as I know, it should have worked since day 1. So you still had some good info to share with you OP; that's cool.

At the same time, there are distinct differences in the BIOSes. If yyou get yourself RBE (Radeon BIOS Editor), you should be able to check which version the BIOS is, without having to flash it on the card.

you might also want to try Sapphire Trixx for voltage control; it has a simpler interface for software clock/voltage controls, and might work with your original BIOS, too.

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. You have confirmed that for me. Makes sense, since you say the rev 1.00 bios's dont work with the rev 1.01 boards. Very weird indeed.

Yes voltage control does work and performance is better than stock by a good margin. About it working since day 1.. Idk, for some reason I never had control with any other 7970 bios, MSI Afterburner voltage options were always grayed out. I am about to try that and TRIXX and I will let you know the results. Although I have tried TRIXX as well with the original bios with no success.

Its funny you should mention RBE because I literally just tried that an hour or two ago and all I get is a error while attempting to load any of the bios's I downloaded stating "Invalid file specified. Not an ATI BIOS? - Debug information:'CheckValid' reported error." I tried in compatibility mode for Win7 but still no luck.

Now to install Afterburner and TRIXX for some more experimenting :D

[edit]
I tried MSI Afterburner 4.0.0 and The latest Sapphire TRIXX as well.. Afterburner still has voltage control grayed out whether its enabled in the settings or not. TRIXX crashes every time I click the "settings" button.

Attachments

• Screenshot (25).png
    Screenshot (25).png
    873.8 KB · Views: 687
Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
If you run more than one tool at a time, yeah, stuff doesn't work right. You can only use one software tool to access GPU settings at a time.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

:respect:

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
man dave your soldering work is worlds better then mine lol
I lost the ability todo shit that small ages ago