1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to recover a Video card with a corrupted BIOS?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by ChristTheGreat, Nov 17, 2011.

1. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys!

I'm trying to figure out out to reflash a card, when you flashed a corrupted bios. Long time ago, while flashing alot of bios on my ASus N6600 128mb (which result to overclock from 350mhz to 514 :) ), a flash went wrong and I had a black/blank screen. I've been able to do a blind flash.

Now, I have a HD6950 1g which doesn't unlock with RBE. I want to try the PHP Script, but the bios I have right now on the card, I don't know if it's the original one with max speed higher, or the one I unlocked tested, and unchecked the HD6970 shader to go back to normal. In the case that I mod the bios with script, flash and get black/blank screen, if I can't blind flash, can I plug a nVidia card, and reflash the AMD Card? Or what's the trick to reflash the bios? plug a card, then remove it while system running?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I stand to be corrected but as far as I know you have to have a motherboard with two slots - one to load up the pc from and the other to put the graphics card of which you want to update the bios.

Definitely do not plug or remove graphic cards while the system is running.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    That's what I thought. someone on the forum did it, but I know this is alot risky lol.

Yup this is correct I have 2 PCI-E.

so I could use the second port to boot (I have an old 6800G T PCIE), then use the first port to flash back my HD6950 in case it go wrong. or the other way?

Thanks for your reply by the way ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. ShRoOmAlIsTiC

ShRoOmAlIsTiC

Thanks Received:
    I keep an old nvidia pci and ati pci card around just for this reason.

If its a bad flash ati card, boot the pci nvidia card and flash the ati threw dos. and viseversa for the nvidia. Using a different chipset maker helps keep you from flash the good card.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    Thanks.

I guess I will try out that this week-end. Wish I could get those Shader unlocks xD

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    well, no luck, it doesn't unlock :(

I guess I will have to try the hardare method with the chip on the card itself, instead I'll just overclock like hell xD

10 Year Member at TPU