• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to setup GPU3/GPU2 combo Nvidia Folding clients on the same rig

System Name Reebok
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @4.2GHz DO Stepping
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58-EXTREME
Cooling EK-Supreme HF High Flow CPU WB+2 X EK-FC9800 GTX GPU WBS+Gigabyte NB WB+XSPC 120QuadRadw SanAce fans
Memory 3 X 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-PC3 1600 CL8 Kit w Corsair Airflow Fan
Video Card(s) XFX Geforce 9800 GTX Black Edition + Point of View 9800 GTX Overclocked Edition+ XFX 9800GT
Storage 1TB Seagate SATAII + Seagate 600 GB SATA II
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2220WM
Case Coolermaster Stacker 830 Nvidia Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster PCI Express X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
Power Supply Corsair HX850W PSU
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
Ok Guys, U got a brand new GTX5x or GTX 4X series card and u have your old but golden 8x,9x or GTX2x Nvidia series card that u dont wanna discard. How do u make both of these babies fold on the same rig? Follow my guide!!

Below is a tutorial of how to setup a GPU2 Client and GPU3 Client to fold simultaneously on the same rig.

Hardware Required

GPU2 Client: Non Fermi Video Card with Nvidia Geforce 8 series and above and of course not the GTx4 series and above as they r Fermi based cards.

GPU3 Client: Fermi based Video Card with Nvidia 4 Series and above.

Software Required

Windows OS- Windows7 64 is taken here for illustration
Latest Video Card Drivers (260.99 as of now)

GPU2 Client Installer:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/Folding@home-Win32-NV-GPU-systray-623.msi

GPU3 Client Installer
http://www.stanford.edu/~friedrim/.Folding@home-systray-632.msi

Cuda-Z
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/cuda-z/CUDA-Z-0.5.95.exe

The problem is that we cannot install both folding clients on the same rig. For.ex If I were to install GPU3 client from the installer, it would install fine. Then if I would try to install the GPU2 client, windows does not differentiate between the two and asks whether to uninstall or modify or repair the existing installation. Solution to this problem is to install either one client and copy the other client work files and make your own shortcuts for the second client. I would illustrate by installing the GPU3 client first

1. Install the GPU3 Client. Delete the shortcut to folding at home in windows startup as we dont need this and we will put modified ones later.

2. The numbering of the GPUs is very important. Thats where Cuda-z helps. Run Cuda-Z and find out the number of the fermi GPU. In my case as shown below, GTX460 is GPU0

3. Navigate to C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming. Here u would see a folding@home folder. Rename that folder to Folding@home-gpu1 for convenience sake

4. Navigate to your folding at home installation folder and find the executable
C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home- gpu\Folding@home.exe
Right click on the folding@home.exe and choose send to desktop option. Rename as u wish for ex. GTX460. Right click and choose properties. In the target field, copy paste the following highlighted in bold

Target
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe" -gpu 0 -forcegpu nvidia_fermi

Start in:
C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home-gpu1

The GPU3 Client is now ready to fold.;)

GPU2 Client Installation

To run the GPU2 client, we need the following files which I have zipped from my GPU2 installation. I have scanned all the attachments with updated Symantec Endpoint Protection and the files are clean.

1. Extract folding@home-gpu2 files into C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu

Should look like this

2. Extract Folding@home-gpu92 into C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home as shown

3. Create a shortcut of the folding@home.exe in this folder on to the desktop. Rename it as 9800GTx or anythin u want. On properties for this shortcut, make sure the target and start in are as below text highlighted in bold

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu92\Folding@home.exe" -gpu 1 -advmethods -forcegpu nvidia_g80

Notice the number of gpu here is 1:eek:

Start in: C:\Users\Shiv\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home-gpu2

4. You should now have two shortcuts on your desktop. One for GPU3 Client and one for GPU2 Client. Copy the two folding shortcuts on to your startup folder so that the clients start when u start the pc

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Repeat the procedure for adding more GPU2 clients with the number of the gpu in the shortcut and the start in folder increased incrementally.

Please let me know if anything needs to be added or deleted in order to make the post clear for everybody.

Hope this helps!!:)

Attachments

• Cuda-z.jpg
    Cuda-z.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,311
  • Shortcut.jpg
    Shortcut.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,138
  • Folding@home-gpu2.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 406
  • GPU2.jpg
    GPU2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,108
  • Folding@home-gpu92.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 395
  • g92.jpg
    g92.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,139
System Name Daves
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard AsRock X570 Taichi
Cooling Enermax LIQMAX III 360
Memory 32 GiG Team Group B Die 3600
Video Card(s) Powercolor 5700 xt Red Devil
Storage Crucial MX 500 SSD and Intel P660 NVME 2TB for games
Display(s) Acer 144htz 27in. 2560x1440
Case Phanteks P600S
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair RM 750
Mouse EVGA
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Windows 10 Pro
Thanks for this guide Dusty,but one problem I have found,I have a 9800X2 and a GTX 580,the most recent driver for the 580 will not recognize the 9800X2,but the driver for the 9800X2 will recognize the 580 but is not supported driver 260.99..
It works but I get the dreaded BSOD every so often..
How did you get passed the driver issue?

Thanks