• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to tell which kind of memory my video card is using?

Codfish

Hi everyone, I'm getting a Sapphire 9800NP 128bit and planning to BIOS flash it to a Pro. This is my first time trying to overclock a video card and I was wondering how to tell if my new video card's memory will be powered by Samsung, Hynix, or Etrontech (and what version of each). Could someone explain to me how to tell which one it is? Also, if I'm only flashing to pro, should I get a extra cooling object (heatsink, etc.)? Thanks alot.

Btw, here's the link to the card I'm getting. I'm getting the 128mb lite retail edition.
http://www.sapphiretech.com/vga/9800-256-128.asp

YohanN

Before flashing u should try some overclocking, coz u must see whether your card is able to run on "pro" freq ;) If u flash without such testing before, u maybe not able even to boot up :eek:
Anyway, have an PCI graphic card by, just for that case (u may then flash back ogiginal bios - if a need occurs)
BTW i see almost no profit from flashing (I think its really not worth it) and remember - u LOOSE WARRANTY
AND abyout MEMORY - just see which manufacurer is signed on mem modules and hhen visit his website where you decode the real meaning of those numbers which are printed there too (especially "ns- rating")