• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Howdi guys (9800 PRO problem) dead i think..

serv

No been in here for a while since my card was running schweeeeeeeeeet, well the time has come

ITS DEAD!!!! well at least i think so, 9800 PRO i have, all was working fine for mths and mths whilst its been OC..

i just want to see what your opinions are before i got buy a new card, all was fine, i only have my OC settings load up whenever a 3d aplication starts, so earlier today i was just browsing the net when my monitor just went into standy mode, i reboot, nuffin!!! all sounds like its up and runing apart from nothing powering up (monitor wise) switched over to a diff card and all is fine, tried back my 9800 pro nuffin, so what do you think guys i can do ? or is the card deff 100%% dead!!! ??

any info would be appreciated.. thx in advance

danfloun

Hi, I'm having probs with my 9800 Pro also but not the same.
Anyway, have you checked your power supply to the card?
Make sure its plugged in properly. You could also try powering the card with a seperate psu if you have one. This way if your psu is not regulating 100% or there is a possible fault with it, it won't interfere with your card.

If you card still don't work, maybe you could try flashing the bios (do this if it isn't under warantee only!) Sometimes bios's can become corrupt. You will need to put a pci video card in your machine to flash your 9800. Sounds more like a power problem to me.

CaTalyst.X

danfloun said:
You could also try powering the card with a seperate psu if you have one. This way if your psu is not regulating 100% or there is a possible fault with it, it won't interfere with your card.

DO NOT power your VGA card with a seperate PSU that isnt also powering the motherboard, you will lose your agp card, motherboard, or both. The AGP card is grounded through the AGP slot so using a power supply that is not grounded to the motherboard causes problems and can kill your hardware. I would say that if anything, unhook optical drives and other non essential components. If that doesnt work i would take the card out, reseat the heatsink, clean the contacts, and reseat the card.

-CaT

Processor AMD 5800x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Custom Water Loop
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z neo
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64
Storage Sabrent Rocket 4 NVMEs / SSDs
Display(s) 27" AOC AG271QX
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolve
Audio Device(s) SoundBlaster AE-7
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 750
Software Windows 10
Is the cooling fan spinning on the card? As danfloun said, check the PSU. You may just have a faulty 12v rail. I had problems with the molex connector going to my X800, the card would just not show anything on the screen at all, but some lines. I fixed the molex and all was good. But if you want to have two PSU's running use this adapter ... it could be something else beside PSU problems, cause it seems weird that it just went out.

-Dan

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
serv said:
No been in here for a while since my card was running schweeeeeeeeeet, well the time has come

ITS DEAD!!!! well at least i think so, 9800 PRO i have, all was working fine for mths and mths whilst its been OC..

i just want to see what your opinions are before i got buy a new card, all was fine, i only have my OC settings load up whenever a 3d aplication starts, so earlier today i was just browsing the net when my monitor just went into standy mode, i reboot, nuffin!!! all sounds like its up and runing apart from nothing powering up (monitor wise) switched over to a diff card and all is fine, tried back my 9800 pro nuffin, so what do you think guys i can do ? or is the card deff 100%% dead!!! ??

any info would be appreciated.. thx in advance

Ive had 2 Sapphire 9800 Pros do exactly the same (on seperate occasions) the 1st was majorly OC'ed but the 2nd wasnt, sadly they were both dead. I tried everything I could think off but no joy (luckily they were both still under warranty)

danfloun

CaTalyst.X said:
DO NOT power your VGA card with a seperate PSU that isnt also powering the motherboard, you will lose your agp card, motherboard, or both. The AGP card is grounded through the AGP slot so using a power supply that is not grounded to the motherboard causes problems and can kill your hardware.

-CaT
Sure about that! Ground is ground. By adding a secondary PSU there should be no reason for this to cause a problem. The mainboard is grounded via the initial psu anyway, adding a seperate psu still maintains the ground to the agp port. I've run a Geforce FX5900 with a seperate supply for testing purposes and it was fine.
Maybe it's down to a crappy power supply that caused your problems or a problem with the psu's ground? Have you any factual data I can look at to prove your point? I'm not having a go at you I'm just interested in this theory.

Last edited:

CaTalyst.X

There has been many a thread of people killing their cards using a seperate PSU to power the video card and that was the "explanation" they gave for it. Ive never had any personal experience with it and i have heard of it working too, but if theres a chance it wont work, I wouldnt be reccomending it to people.

-CaT

danfloun

It's always a problematic area working with different people and different setups. Problem is, half the time the people who are doing these things don't understand completely what they are doing, and as such, end up not knowing what really cured or knackered something. But yes, you are correct in the statement that if there's a chance it will break it, dont do it.
unfortunately that rules out most overclocking and modding. :(

Don't discourage yet.
First find 9800pro voltmod guide on the net just to find Vcore and Vmemory checkpoints for 9800pro. After that take some kind of multimeter and check both core and memory for presence of energy supply.
I think that Vcore on 9800pro should be something like 1.65V and Vdd somewhare round 2.8V (also Vddq should be 2.8V).

If you have all the three voltages your card probably is dead but if you miss some of them it could mean that you have damaged volt-regulator (which is much better than dead card). If the second variant takes place it could be fixed comparatively easy.

I hope that this post will help a little.