• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How's this build?

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
3-4 year old Sata1 SSd's still ticking along quite nicely at rated speeds, so don't know where you get your information from, also blacks fail as much as greens, main difference is speed in caching and writing, warranty on HDD's is hardly an issue, most that are going to fail fail within the first 3 months, those that don't will likely go on to lead full hdd lifes ;)

and you are wd support stuff and you have full drive fail rma statistics.
dont mistake number of negative feedbacks at given online shop with real number of rmas know only to wd.
i have seen quite a lot tech broken just few days/weeks after warranty ended so i finally got that it's better a little more expensive with longer warranty then cheaper with short.
what is better to have 5 years warranty drive that fail after 4.5 years and you get free replacement with brand new, possibly newer model drive cause old isnt available anymore, that will last at least for 4 more years OR drive with 2 years warranty that will fail after 5 years and you have to pay full price for new one?

The 4GB Giga can be had for less than that, and that's definitely not a very good price on the MSI, I've seen it for under 330 pounds from at least two UK vendors, incl VAT.

MSI 770 Gaming
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...hz-gddr5-gpu-1098mhz-boost-1150mhz-cores-1536

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/...ds/nvidiagtx770keplerseries/n770tf2gd5oc.html

Gigabyte 770 4GB
http://www.h-online.com/priceinsigh...70-windforce-3x-oc-gv-n770oc-4gd-a957527.html

If you look at best pricing on each, the correct scenario is around 330 lbs for the MSI Gaming and 380 lbs for the Giga 4GB, so you do in fact pay more for it. For us in the US it would be equivalent to $75 more.

That said, after experiencing 3GB VRAM with my 7970, I don't think I could settle for 2GB. Nvidia need to get up to speed on their reference chipsets.

ya something is wrong with that amazon price
Graphics Cards Nvidia - NVIDIA GTX 770 Series | Eb...
360 for lighting version which is generally more expensive then gaming

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Play nice folks, which includes no name calling:)

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I'm not going to provide a source link, because google'ing isnt hard, and there are hundreds of statistic sites, but just so the HDD arguements are understood, the total HDD fail rate for both WD and Seagate for ALL DRIVES are between 1.4 and 1.5% of total shipped drives.

EDIT: most of which appear to be RMA'd down to quality control issues within the first 3-6months of the drives life.

You'll also eventually realise almost all HDD's are made by the same people, its just WD, Seagate, Hitachi etc etc all have different quality control regulations, which you'll only notice in price difference.

Last edited:

Harreh

It's clear I need to do a bit of research on prices.

Re: the eBuyer rig. wow blu-ray's cheap now. To be honest I could probably do without any optical right now and salvage an old DVD drive for OS installation.
I'll check out that cooler and see how it compares to the thermalright.
Black vs Green... fair point with the warranty.

Re: 2GB GDDR vs 4GB GDDR... yeah I figured 2 wouldn't be up to it. I'm not decided on a monitor (not got round to it yet) but I guess i'll be on 1920*1800.

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
Re: the eBuyer rig. wow blu-ray's cheap now. To be honest I could probably do without any optical right now and salvage an old DVD drive for OS installation.

keep in mind that this is BR reader only. i have put it only cause you mentioned that you havent selected optical. if you dont need BR and dont need optical then better trade that BR drive for faster delivery.
you can install os from usb stick and, as i recently found, combined with ssd makes os installation fast and far less boring then it was before with optical.

No, do you smartass?

me nether but i am not the one stating that black and green have same fail ratio.

I'm not going to provide a source link, because google'ing isnt hard, and there are hundreds of statistic sites, but just so the HDD arguements are understood, the total HDD fail rate for both WD and Seagate for ALL DRIVES are between 1.4 and 1.5% of total shipped drives.

EDIT: most of which appear to be RMA'd down to quality control issues within the first 3-6months of the drives life.

You'll also eventually realise almost all HDD's are made by the same people, its just WD, Seagate, Hitachi etc etc all have different quality control regulations, which you'll only notice in price difference.

thx. useful guy as always :).
this doesnt contradict what i have said. how those 1.4-1.5% failures are spread between different models can only say company (wd, hitachi, seagate...) management and they will keep this info secure at any price. this isnt kids game, a lot of money are in.

Harreh

Hello again TPU :toast:

I am now at the final stages of this build. Most of it will be arriving Monday onwards... (hurray!)

'part from one key item. The monitor.

I'm stuck on a firm decision with this bit.

To me, it seems the market is terribly scattered with different techs (TN, IPS) fighting each other with no clear winner. Then you get the off-shoots from IPS (E-IPS, H-IPS) which further adds confusion. There's loads of UltraFast™, ContrastDeluxe™ tech orwhatever and so much of it feels like marketing being hurled at me.

So there's TN, which has 120-144Hz refresh rates going for it. But this the costs image quality/contrast due to the over driving.
Then there's IPS which has better colour reproduction (but only 60Hz) and can even provide expert (8bit, 10bit) colour rendering. It would seem to me that there's little need to go beyond sRGB as I don't do any image/video editing.

Worth going into a shop to have a look?

Tell me if I'm wrong on any of this and set me straight if needed! I would like to get this sorted asap so I can actually use my machine ;) I'll be using this monitor for as long as it lives so better get it right.

tl;dr Tell me what monitor to get in 1920*1200 (or perhaps 1080p).

A bunch of bookmarks:
http://www.amazon.co_uk/dp/B005LNDPPS/?tag=tec053-21
http://www.amazon.co_uk/dp/B00A2KZ2XS/?tag=tec053-21
http://www.amazon.co_uk/dp/B0072NW2XQ/?tag=tec053-21