• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP Envy X360 2500U power throttling question

System Name Not an Intel Piece of Shite
Processor Superior AMD Glorious Master Race 2700SEX
Motherboard Glorious low cost Awesome Motherboard 4
Cooling A piece of metal that cools the amazing Ryzen CPU
Memory SAMMY BEEE DAI BABEH
Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Case It's red because AMD = red and AMD = awesome
Power Supply 1000W,. but not needed as Glorious RYZEN CPU is extremely afficient unlike that recylced 14nm++ Junk
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
Benchmark Scores Higher than Intel shite
Oh jeeze I don't think I wanna do this. I do have a care plan for it, maybe if i brick it they would replace it for me? I bought it at a Currys PC world store

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Is there an option to disable SMT in the BIOS?
Just thinking out loud that disabling threads may allow the cores to run at a higher value.

Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Power Supply 1000W,. but not needed as Glorious RYZEN CPU is extremely afficient unlike that recylced 14nm++ Junk
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
nope. the bios on this lappie is hilariously spartan

SL2

Oh jeeze I don't think I wanna do this. I do have a care plan for it, maybe if i brick it they would replace it for me? I bought it at a Currys PC world store
I can't answer that, I think the data is dumped from BIOS but it doesn't alter BIOS itself, which means if you mess it up you just have to reboot and it's back to normal.

DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT THOUGH. I hope someone else can give you a straight answer about that.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
nope. the bios on this lappie is hilariously spartan
Some HP laptops have a hidden BIOS menu, one of my old lappies did.
Shut down and then start up again, access BIOS with F10 and try the A key at the same time.

Last edited:
Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
Some HP laptops have a hidden BIOS menu, one of my old lappies did.
Shut down and then start up again, access BIOS with F10 and try the A key at the same time.
I mean i can get into the bios but it has like 2 options lol. none of them useful x_x

SL2

The reddit is really informative, I missed the youtube instructions before.

Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
Ooof.I'm not comfortable fiddling with this. ~Shrug~, at least Wf runs reasonably well

Raven ridge just can't go below 25W and remain competitive in Perf/watt with intel...some people suggest that the infinity fabric is to blame, jack of all trades interconnect, master of none, including ultra low power :/

Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
Reactions: SL2
Video Card(s) Turding
Storage irelevant
Display(s) monitor
Mouse *gets cat*
Keyboard RUHGUBUH!
Software Not Linux
The envy was a bit of an impulse honestly. I fell in love with the small size and design, and the fact that it is dual channel (a disturbingly large number of them are not lol). I mean i do love the thing, I put a 960 Evo m.2 in it and its just as responsive as my desktop with 2700X browsing the web and stuff, except battery life is a bit meh but I only use it for a couple hours between charges anyway ~shrug~. the only "mobile computing" i do is sitting in the living room with my mum watching TV... Or at my nans house. All of which have a power outlet no more than a metre away lol. meh. It rruns WF at 720p low pretty well even once Potato Mode has kicked in, so i guess i can't complain too much?

If i do get another device to replace this I 100% want the same form factor and design, a 2-in-1 with touch screen. Im not gonna bother with 3000 series APU as they are 12nm refresh and only like 10% more efficient than the 2000 ones. Maybe Ryzen 4500U with Navi GPU and 7nm will have 2x perf at the same 8W :D

But I'm not going to hold my breath. Maybe Intel 10nm and new iGPU architecture will be ready by then. I will slap myself for saying this, but I would definitely consider the Intel version with U series 10nm chip, providing its not a lot more expensive.

Anyway thanks guys I really appreciate the help^^:love: Maybe some day I will be brave enough to poke those settings and prevent Potato Mode, but i'm too stressed irl to risk bricking my lappie rn :/

Reactions: SL2
System Name HP Pavilion 15
Processor AyyMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U @30w
Memory 16GB (2x8) @2400 CL16
Video Card(s) AyyMD Radeon™ Vega 8
Storage 970 EVO 250GB + 850 PRO 256GB
Software Windows 10 LTSC
First of all, big up to @lulu14150 who pretty much signed up just to help the OP! :toast: This link, taken from the reddit he/she linked to, tells a bit more about what to do.
Now I have no idea how to do this, and I've never even used a Ryzen laptop. I think it's difficult to describe step for step how to do it since the method varies from model to model.
Your best options are probably to read up on it and learn how to modify DSDT, or find someone who can do it IRL on your laptop.

No, probably not. @lulu14150's link shows that you have to edit the DSDT.

Yep, i've signed up just to help. In fact, i faced the same problem after buying my Pavilion. It was so frustrating :banghead:
I used the DSDT method but it was pretty difficult ^^
The method is described here thanks to MisterFlibble.

To get a bit more performance you can try to set "Tessellation Mode" to "Override application settings" and then "Maximum Tessellation Level" to "16x" or "8x" in your Adrenalines.

Mine is running GTA V (1080p - Normal + High textures + FXAA locked at 30fps using RTSS). Impressed with this little 2500u when unlocked to 30w, you can almost expect double the performance between 30w and 15w STAPM in games :p

Last edited:
System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Just curious if one of those chillpads would help?

clebbington

Hello everyone. Registered an account today to post my solution to this problem.

I have the HP Envy x360 13m-ag0001dx and was experiencing terrible GPU clock throttling (sometimes as low as 200Mhz.) This is due to how HP configured AMD's STAPM limit for this laptop. Because this laptop is only equipped with a 15W cooling solution, HP set the STAPM limit to 15W to keep the device cool. However, after using Ryzen Controller and uProf, I discovered this laptop can run at a full 30W, which gives the GPU significantly more breathing room to run at higher clocks. I have yet to see the GPU hit its full rated 1GHz speed, but speeds upwards of 800MHz are now attainable. However, there are some settings you will need to change to prevent the laptop from automatically undoing any changes you make to the STAPM limit.

The solution is to use HP's software called "HP Command Center". This is a preinstalled program that offers four basic power/thermal management profiles, but if you run uProf and monitor the STAPM limit while changing profiles, you get an understanding of how this software works. "Performance" sets the STAPM to the factory 15W, "Comfort" sets it to 8.5W, and "Silent" sets it to 7.5W. However, even after selecting "Performance", monitoring in uProf shows the STAPM limit slowly dropping in 0.5W increments all the way down to 12.5W during extended use. This is to keep the device cool during extended sessions, and is totally acceptable for productivity workloads - but it cripples the GPU well below a quarter of its rated performance. Luckily for us, selecting "Comfort" disables this behavior. So by selecting "Comfort" in Command Center and then using Ryzen Controller to raise the STAPM limit from 8.5W to 30W, you can unlock the full 30W TDP of this laptop and it will not automatically throttle back down.

However, there are some things to keep in mind - changing the device orientation, changing into tent or tablet mode, or unplugging/replugging the laptop will revert back to 8.5W, and there is no way around this. So that means you need to change the STAPM limit after you've set the laptop up how you want to use it. Inserting USB devices may also have an effect on STAPM depending on the device - for example, I can't charge my phone from my laptop while gaming.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the cooler in this laptop has a 15W cooler- it has a single, very thin heatpipe. Using Ryzen Controller, I usually set my TDP to 27W, set the max and min TPD to 30W, and then limit the CPU to 95 degrees Celsius. This allows the laptop to boost up to 30W but otherwise limits it to 27W to prevent overheating. When playing Skyrim, for example, indoor areas like dungeons and houses give the laptop a chance to cool off, so it has some thermal headroom to maintain 27W in outdoor areas. However, newer titles will stress the laptop much more, so you may need to set the TDP even lower.

johann0115

The solution is to use HP's software called "HP Command Center". This is a preinstalled program that offers four basic power/thermal management profiles, but if you run uProf and monitor the STAPM limit while changing profiles, you get an understanding of how this software works. "Performance" sets the STAPM to the factory 15W, "Comfort" sets it to 8.5W, and "Silent" sets it to 7.5W. However, even after selecting "Performance", monitoring in uProf shows the STAPM limit slowly dropping in 0.5W increments all the way down to 12.5W during extended use. This is to keep the device cool during extended sessions, and is totally acceptable for productivity workloads - but it cripples the GPU well below a quarter of its rated performance. Luckily for us, selecting "Comfort" disables this behavior. So by selecting "Comfort" in Command Center and then using Ryzen Controller to raise the STAPM limit from 8.5W to 30W, you can unlock the full 30W TDP of this laptop and it will not automatically throttle back down.
And I made this account in order to thank you, I had been scratching my head for some weeks until I found your solution. I got an Envy x360 with a Ryzen 7 3700u (basically, the next generation of the laptop OP has/had) and the CPU reduced its power consumption and managed to increment it to 25w (haven't tested to 30, it gets quite hot with 25) and it seems to have random 8w valleys due to thermal throttling, but I can get a cooling pad in order to avoid this behavior. Dunno how HP programmed this, pretty weird tbh

Last edited:

Kmi

I also made an account to give a good workaround with Ryzen Controller, my laptop is a HP Envy 13-ag0004nf , I found this solution while googling for the exact same problem of intense throttling after a few minutes of gaming, I don't remember exactly where I found it but here it is :

apparently there's a trigger at 71°c which give xx seconds before the TDP is cut and resulting in that severe throttling (mostly gpu), since there's some time between when you cross the 71° mark and the throttling , it's hard to figure out but anyway in Ryzen Controller I set the max t° at 69° (I tried 70 but sometimes it reaches 71 this way so I lowered it a bit), it's the main thing to do, after that pu whatever tdp you want, it won't matter too much as it will probably quickly reach that relatively low temperature anyway (mine is set to 20w TDP but 15 would probably give the same results). I never had the annoying throttling after doing this

It's not ideal because it would perform better with more t° room to the 80-85 mark but it's already much much better than the default behaviour and the gpu usually stay between 550 and 800mhz in game

Hello everyone. Registered an account today to post my solution to this problem.

I have the HP Envy x360 13m-ag0001dx and was experiencing terrible GPU clock throttling (sometimes as low as 200Mhz.) This is due to how HP configured AMD's STAPM limit for this laptop. Because this laptop is only equipped with a 15W cooling solution, HP set the STAPM limit to 15W to keep the device cool. However, after using Ryzen Controller and uProf, I discovered this laptop can run at a full 30W, which gives the GPU significantly more breathing room to run at higher clocks. I have yet to see the GPU hit its full rated 1GHz speed, but speeds upwards of 800MHz are now attainable. However, there are some settings you will need to change to prevent the laptop from automatically undoing any changes you make to the STAPM limit.

However, there are some things to keep in mind - changing the device orientation, changing into tent or tablet mode, or unplugging/replugging the laptop will revert back to 8.5W, and there is no way around this. So that means you need to change the STAPM limit after you've set the laptop up how you want to use it. Inserting USB devices may also have an effect on STAPM depending on the device - for example, I can't charge my phone from my laptop while gaming.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the cooler in this laptop has a 15W cooler- it has a single, very thin heatpipe. Using Ryzen Controller, I usually set my TDP to 27W, set the max and min TPD to 30W, and then limit the CPU to 95 degrees Celsius. This allows the laptop to boost up to 30W but otherwise limits it to 27W to prevent overheating. When playing Skyrim, for example, indoor areas like dungeons and houses give the laptop a chance to cool off, so it has some thermal headroom to maintain 27W in outdoor areas. However, newer titles will stress the laptop much more, so you may need to set the TDP even lower.

interesting , I'll experiment with this, the performance would be even better at the cost of some annoyance

Last edited:

Perseveruz

I also registered to convey my thanks to you clebbington for this very useful tip. Thanks to you i was able to get my Envy x360 4700U to stop throttling both on power and battery mode. I simply put the HP command center on comfort mode, and in the ryzen controller app, i simply tweaked the value of the CPU TDP, Long Boost TDP, and Short Boost TDP. I found that setting all of them to 16 is the sweet spot for me as I'm now able to play Fifa 21 at 1080p, medium settings without throttling at all with a steady 60 FPS. I could also raise the value to 25 but don't need to use all that power and like to keep my Envy on lower temps.Thanks again for sharing your tip, as this saved me from going through countless nights trying to find a solution to the throttling problem (if ever).