• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP Offers Customers Free Upgrade to Microsoft Windows 7

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
HP today announced it will offer the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system on consumer and business PCs beginning Oct. 22.

To meet customers' computing needs while protecting their investments, the company is participating in the Windows Upgrade Option Program to help customers transition easily to Windows 7. The program will enable customers who purchase qualifying HP PCs to enjoy the benefits of a new Windows-based PC immediately and receive a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it becomes available in October.

Customers who purchase an HP PC starting today may be eligible for the upgrade program. HP customers can visit http://www.hp.com/go/windows7upgrade to check for upgrade eligibility, register and get answers about their PCs and current operating systems. Following general availability of Windows 7 on Oct. 22, qualifying customers will receive the Windows 7 upgrade and an upgrade utility disk with a step-by-step guide for installation at their convenience.

Throughout the development of Windows 7, HP has had an unprecedented level of collaboration with Microsoft to improve the user experience. HP has made a significant investment in hardware and software testing to ensure broad compatibility and a satisfying technology experience across its commercial and consumer PC portfolios.

"HP has helped guide Microsoft through the development of Windows 7, collaborating and offering unique insight and counsel on emerging technologies," said Carlos Montalvo, vice president, Experience Marketing, Personal Systems Group, HP. "Because of this early collaboration, HP has engineered truly innovative PCs - from our thin and light notebooks and high-performance desktops to our acclaimed TouchSmart PCs - providing advanced performance, compelling user experiences and more functionality overall."

For more than two years, HP's collaboration with Microsoft has consisted of sharing industry best practices and technology for mobility, touch innovation and printing, and working to ensure a good customer experience when upgrading to Windows 7.

"We are thrilled with the level of collaboration between HP and Microsoft throughout the development of Windows 7," said Nick Parker, general manager, Worldwide Sales for HP, Microsoft. "Through the Windows Upgrade Option program, we can help our joint customers get new PCs now and get ready to experience the innovation and simplification that Windows 7 delivers."

To help simplify the Windows 7 upgrade process, the HP Upgrade Assistant will identify and preinstall most necessary drivers. The HP Support website will continue to be updated with drivers, allowing customers to easily update their PCs without the burden of researching and downloading drivers for graphic cards and attached peripheral hardware.

HP PCs with Windows Vista on the market today meet the hardware requirements to run the Windows 7 operating system. Customers can continue to purchase new PCs from HP with the confidence that they will run the Windows 7 operating system when it becomes available later this year.

Customers can join the conversation about the upcoming launch of Windows 7 on the HP Consumer Support Forum or HP Business Support Forum for businesses. More information about HP's Windows Upgrade Option Program is available at http://www.hp.com/go/windows7.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor C2Q6600 @ 1.6 GHz
Motherboard Anus PQ5
Cooling ACFPro
Memory GEiL2 x 1 GB PC2 6400
Video Card(s) MSi 4830 (RIP)
Storage Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320 GB Perpendicular Recording
Display(s) Dell 17'
Case El Cheepo
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software MCE2K5
Im guessing this will swing anyone who wants to buy a pc and is waiting on 7

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
Man -- Vista-defenders can say what they want, but Vista is going down in history as just another Windows ME. :shadedshu

System Name Roxy
Processor i7 5930K @ 4.5GHz (167x27 1.35V)
Motherboard X99-A/USB3.1
Cooling Barrow Infinity Mirror, EK 45x420mm, EK X-Res w 10W DDC
Memory 2x16GB Patriot Viper 3600 @3333 16-20-20-38
Video Card(s) XFX 5700 XT Thicc III Ultra
Storage Sabrent Rocket 2TB, 4TB WD Mechanical
Display(s) Acer XZ321Q (144Mhz Freesync Curved 32" 1080p)
Case Modded Cosmos-S Red, Tempered Glass Window, Full Frontal Mesh, Black interior
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM 850x White
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire TK
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/e5uz5f
It's not just HP

The offer is from MS not HP and is open to all OEMs that sell PC with MS OSes, HP just got in first with the press release.

CyberPower have also announced the free upgrade.

Last edited:

Tau

I just rolled my main workstation up to Vista from XP (needed x64 support) And have been very happy with it thusfar.

Will just have to see what 7 is all about when it finally goes RTM.

System Name Core i9 rig / Lenovo laptop
Processor Core i9 10900X / Core i5 8350U
Motherboard Asus Prime X299 Edition 30 / Lenovo motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i PRO RGB / stock cooler
Memory Gskill 4x8GB 3600mhz / 16GB 2400mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super / UHD 620
Storage Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB / Samsung OEM 256GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp UP3017 / Full HD IPS touch
Case Coolermaster mastercase H500M
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 1700 watt / Lenovo 65watt power adapter
Mouse Logitech M500s
Keyboard Cherry
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows 11 Pro
Man -- Vista-defenders can say what they want, but Vista is going down in history as just another Windows ME. :shadedshu

From WIKI: Initially it was thought that the adoption of Vista has been generally low, due to largely poor reviews and harsh criticism, but a later Gartner research report predicted that Vista business adoption in 2008 will actually beat that of XP during the same time frame (21.3% vs. 16.9%)

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
eh man, Vista is good. I've tried using XP on my newER hardware and it doesn't work out well.

BSOD's every week in XP
BSOD's every couple months in Vista
if you've got good hardware then Vista is for you! :nutkick:

I haven't got BSOD in XP in months, if you alot of get BSOD's in XP then you got a hardware conflict or damaged hardware, and vista dosen't have BSOD, it has RSOD

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

Yep, probably will, sadly enough. Although the final state of Vista is far better than ME, It will go down as ME2 only because of the negative stigma it received early on, and then continually from people bitching about it, a good portion of which never even tried it, and just said things like, "My buddy said Vista is crap because......".

As of now, it is perfectly stable, fine running OS. Hell, it was stable before SP1 even came out.

It's nothing more than the Vista haters/bashers that gives it the ME stigma, and generally with little to no evidence to back their claims.

I haven't got BSOD in XP in months, if you alot of get BSOD's in XP then you got a hardware conflict or damaged hardware, and vista dosen't have BSOD, it has RSOD
Vista also has BSODS

iluv2fly

Yep, probably will, sadly enough. Although the final state of Vista is far better than ME, It will go down as ME2 only because of the negative stigma it received early on, and then continually from people bitching about it, a good portion of which never even tried it, and just said things like, "My buddy said Vista is crap because......".

As of now, it is perfectly stable, fine running OS. Hell, it was stable before SP1 even came out.

It's nothing more than the Vista haters/bashers that gives it the ME stigma, and generally with little to no evidence to back their claims.

Vista also has BSODS

I second that! Vista works Great!

System Name AMD/ATI PHENOM MONSTER
Processor AMD Phenom II 965BE
Motherboard ASUS M4A785TD-V EVA
Cooling Air right know. Water later
Memory 4bg Corsair Dominator PC3 8500 9,9,9,24 2t timing
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7950 Vapor-X
Storage 5x 500gb sata3.0 Seagate in RAID 0 - 2x 160gb Seagate for backup
Display(s) MAG INNOVISION 19in LCD 2ms 1600:1cr, 22in LED 2ms-5ms
Case Thermaltake Armor QuadFX edition
Power Supply 1000w Thermaltake toughpower
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3Dmark06 10712 single card and no oc, 12071 with cpu @ 2.8ghz and card oced, 13877 with crossfire.
Vista is great solved my weird crossfire issue I had in xp but both xp and vista ran 100%. Hopefully I can get that free upgrade becasue i bought a new laptop like the end of april.

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2

Vista also has BSODS

Well said.

I had one lady come into best buy, asking if we carried anything without vista, i answered her
Me: "no, and tha..."
Customer: "well i hate vista"
Me: "have you ever used it"
Customer: "no, my mom hates it"

case and point