1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP Pavillion DV4 Laptop Needs Screen Cable...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sasqui, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Have a HP Pavillion DV4 Laptop, screen started to go whacky about a year ago, but wiggling the cover would fix it, over time got worse to the point it completely stopped working.

I took the unit apart, put it back together and WHAM, it was working fine... until I moved the screen and it started to go haywire again, lines, a semi blank white screen, etc. External monitor works fine.

The screen is a complete b*tch to work on, and I suspect it's a damaged cable. There's a cable bundle (it's not a ribbon) that winds around the lid hinge - I think it's frayed.

Nice laptop, can handle most games and loaded with features. Would like to fix it. Anyone have experience with an HP laptop?

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  2. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    You may have to build one out of the same gauge wire and connectors.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Athlon2K15

Athlon2K15 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    i might have the cable package your looking for if you could get a photo of it

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Damn, should have taken pics when I had it out, takes about 1/2 hr to get all the pieces parts out, and at least 1/2 hr to get it back together... thankfully there are some good OEM guides to dissasemble, but they leave out many steps. It's a Chinese puzzle - you have to flip the laptop over about 5 times to finally pull the screen off.

The connector to the MB is about 1" wide and 3/16" high, with about 20 pins (two rows). That connect to a bundle of black wires. These lead into the hinge, where they wrap around, then lead up to a series of ribbon type cables in the screen. This is all under a bunch of sticky foil layers behind the screen. I started to mess with it and decided not to go any further given the complexity and lack of a specific guide.

Where is R2-D2 when you need him?

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU