• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

HP to Contribute webOS to Open Source

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name Long shelf-life potato
Processor Intel Core i7-4770K
Motherboard ASUS Z97-A
Cooling Xigmatek Aegir CPU Cooler
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) 2x GeForce GTX 970 SLI
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) Samsung U28D590D 28-inch 4K
Case Cooler Master CM690 Window
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Mouse Razer Abyssus 2014
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4
Software Windows 10 Pro Creators Update
HP today announced it will contribute the webOS software to the open source community. HP plans to continue to be active in the development and support of webOS. By combining the innovative webOS platform with the development power of the open source community, there is the opportunity to significantly improve applications and web services for the next generation of devices.

webOS offers a number of benefits to the entire ecosystem of web applications. For developers, applications can be easily built using standard web technologies. In addition, its single integrated stack offers multiplatform portability. For device manufacturers, it provides a single web-centric platform to run across multiple devices. As a result, the end user benefits from a fast, immersive user experience.

Show full news post

Swansen

i really enjoy WebOS, and opening the code up is awesome. It will be nice to get some extra player in the mobile OS market, now if only MeeGo/Tizen gets its act together there will be a nice handful of choice available.

Let's hope it doesn't turn into another Meego. Either way, this is true openness, unlike a certain claimed-to-be-open-but-developed-entirely-behind-closed-doors mobile OS that only does code dumps when its owner feels like it.

Swansen

Let's hope it doesn't turn into another Meego. Either way, this is true openness, unlike a certain claimed-to-be-open-but-developed-entirely-behind-closed-doors mobile OS that only does code dumps when its owner feels like it.
ha, yeah, this is true. However, and i can't remember where i was reading it but, apparently, WebOS won't be entirely open ether, the development path will be very strict and directed closely by HP. The idea is to keep product recognition tight.