• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP warranty cover for BIOS update problem

mofe

Hi,

To resolve a problem with my wireless adapter card, I have updated the BIOS of my Compaq Presario 2178EA using the file from the Compaq site. But, it is dead now. I believe it requires a reflash.

I still have 1 more month in the warranty, but HP say BIOS update problems are not covered under warranty.

The warranty says: "BIOS/Firmware upgrades are not covered under the basic warranty Terms & Conditions. Firmware that is an integral part of the option hardware board is not automatically upgraded when new versions of firmware are released." HP claim that this means any problems caused by BIOS update are not covered, but in my understanding it means we cannot ask HP to update the BIOS/firmware under warranty. In fact, it also says: "It is essentially the responsibility of the customer to ensure that their software is compatible with the latest BIOS/firmware revision and to upgrade their firmware to keep it synchronised with the new software releases."

Has anyone had a similar case with the HP support?

Thanks,
Mofe

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
mofe said:
Hi,

To resolve a problem with my wireless adapter card, I have updated the BIOS of my Compaq Presario 2178EA using the file from the Compaq site. But, it is dead now. I believe it requires a reflash.

I still have 1 more month in the warranty, but HP say BIOS update problems are not covered under warranty.

The warranty says: "BIOS/Firmware upgrades are not covered under the basic warranty Terms & Conditions. Firmware that is an integral part of the option hardware board is not automatically upgraded when new versions of firmware are released." HP claim that this means any problems caused by BIOS update are not covered, but in my understanding it means we cannot ask HP to update the BIOS/firmware under warranty. In fact, it also says: "It is essentially the responsibility of the customer to ensure that their software is compatible with the latest BIOS/firmware revision and to upgrade their firmware to keep it synchronised with the new software releases."

Has anyone had a similar case with the HP support?

Thanks,
Mofe

ive had nothing but trouble with HP. although you shouldnt rma hardware you kill, IMO, a bios update should be covered. less they know the better. "it wont work" is usually a better term for the retard excuse for tech supoport at that company.