• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HUGE HELP NEEDED! 1080 fan issues/fan spikes :((

Kranolf

Hello!

So I had this issue for several months, and I seriously thought that it's because of my other parts of computer. I had an older build and I put my windforce gtx 1080 in it (was purchased in 2017 november), it was okay for a while, lets say for until January. Then suddenly my fans started to spin, to like 100% then go down again. I was like what is going on? Well, it wasn't too often, until it got to a point where it did this EVERY SINGLE TIME I started a game. Now that was the time where I brought the GPU to my friend's PC (he has the same exact GPU as me) and believe it or not it was working PERFECTLY!! I was like okay, Imma build myself a brand new PC except the GPU and I'm sure it's going to work that way. Well, it didn't.

I have an i7 8700k, kraken x62, corsair rm650x, strix z370-f and on benchmarks and games there come the fan spikes again where they spin up that they sound they are going to explode, for couple seconds, then they go down again. I am really afraid that it will be the same, when I couldn't even do anything, even after exiting the game the fans were still at 100%. I really don't want to do this.

I have tried ABSOLUTELY everything in the last 3 months to fix it, in my old build, and now in my new build. Fresh OS Install, clean install drivers, plug into another PCI-E slot, try different fan control programs (Aorus, Gigabyte, MSI afterburner, etc etc) and the fan curve DIDN'T WORK as it should because there were still fan spikes. So I tried like literally everything, so there's nothing new you can tell me, except one thing I'll mention later.

First please take a look at these videos and pictures:

-Fan spikes in old build:

-Fan spikes in new build:
(also have coil whine now, and I have no idea how?! can I even fix it?)

-And here's a picture of HWMonitor sometimes this is what it shows after fans have gone crazy (this is the highest ever achieved, second was only 20k RPM)

I have latest nvidia drivers installed, motherboard bios updated. Only thing I did not update is GPU BIOS. I am not sure how to do that, but I've seen one thread where someon had similar issue, and Gigabyte has helped him with a new bios (GPU bios I believe). https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gigabyte-gtx-1080-g1-gaming-fan-spikes.223629/

This was from 2016 though. And my GPU was purchased in 2017 October-November. GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD rev.1.0

Could anyone PLEASE HELP ME?! How can I make this issue finally go away, and why wasn't it there at my friend's PC? I am really disappointed in Gigabyte, and also that I can't RMA in Europe only because it was purchased in the US. I would even pay if I could get it repaired but I really don't understand why freakin Gigabyte doesn't have a global warranty service. It's bs. I have contacted them again, and now waiting for their answers, as they act like it's the software first, even though I explained to them every small detail, like here.

P.S.: It got to a point again, where whenever I start a game it starts spinning almost instantly, and it doesn't stop until I quit the game. Meanwhile I still have the lag spikes even if I don't play anything, but when I'm playing it's almost constant. I really don't know what to do, as it's really loud and super annoying. I wish I could get this fixed, but no matter what fan curve I use, they detect as the fans are spinning by the curve, nothing unusual.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
try uninstalling all the apps like afterburner, then go into the Nvidia Control Panel and push the restore button and retest...if that doesnt work then install your mobo chipset driver and reboot then reinstall Nvidia Driver Suite and retest.
EDIT oh yeah, welcome to TPU :lovetpu:

Kranolf

try uninstalling all the apps like afterburner, then go into the Nvidia Control Panel and push the restore button and retest...if that doesnt work then install your mobo chipset driver and reboot then reinstall Nvidia Driver Suite and retest.

I once tried uninstalling everything, but what does the restore button do? Also I think I've installed the chipset driver on first day.

What is Nvidia Driver Suite?

Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
I once tried uninstalling everything, but what does the restore button do? Also I think I've installed the chipset driver on first day.

What is Nvidia Driver Suite?
What is Nvidia Driver Suite? >>>> https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-geforce-graphics-drivers/
but what does the restore button do? it resets the Nvidia Driver Suite to DEFAULTS.
please just do the steps i have listed as it is part of the trouble shooting process ...or don't its up to you.

Kranolf

What is Nvidia Driver Suite? >>>> https://www.techpowerup.com/download/nvidia-geforce-graphics-drivers/
but what does the restore button do? it resets the Nvidia Driver Suite to DEFAULTS.
please just do the steps i have listed as it is part of the trouble shooting process ...or don't its up to you.

Oh so It's just the basic nvidia drivers. Yea I have reinstalled it several times, but never clicked on a restore button lol. So what to do with the mobo chipset, in case the restore doesn't work?

Btw is there any way to control fans in BIOS or nvidia?
EDIT oh yeah, welcome to TPU :lovetpu:

Thanks man!

Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Oh so It's just the basic nvidia drivers. Yea I have reinstalled it several times, but never clicked on a restore button lol. So what to do with the mobo chipset, in case the restore doesn't work?

Btw is there any way to control fans in BIOS or nvidia?

Thanks man!
list the rest of your hardware like Motherboard make and model, PSU make and model Ram make and model as it will help and especially so with recommending fan control apps. and also if restore button doesn't help be sure to reinstall mobo chipset and REBOOT then reinstall the Nvidia Driver Suite and retest and report back .

EDIT, sorry i see you already listed the hardware....opps my bad:oops:

EDIT for controling the GPU fan on your Mobo I would recomend using ROG Gaming Center!

Last edited:

Kranolf

list the rest of your hardware like Motherboard make and model, PSU make and model Ram make and model as it will help and especially so with recommending fan control apps. and also if restore button doesn't help be sure to reinstall mobo chipset and REBOOT then reinstall the Nvidia Driver Suite and retest and report back .

EDIT, sorry i see you already listed the hardware....opps my bad:oops:

EDIT for controling the GPU fan on your Mobo I would recomend using ROG Gaming Center!

Yea if it is necessary I can give more details about the parts.

I will try this nvidia restore and reinstall chipset thing. Should I uninstall with DDU?

Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Yea if it is necessary I can give more details about the parts.

I will try this nvidia restore and reinstall chipset thing. Should I uninstall with DDU?
nah no need for DDU as of yet..
EDIT i have some things to take care of be back in an hour or so to see how your doing, other may end up chimming in as well.

Last edited:

Kranolf

nah no need for DDU as of yet..

U think I need to uninstall CAM too? (like i said I also tried to uninstall it before to make sure it's not what it causes the issue) its NZXT's software. This is the GPU section but I didn't do anything with it.

Attachments

• CAM.PNG
    CAM.PNG
    37.7 KB · Views: 712
Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
This issue is common with Gigabyte cards. There are multiple cases as well: either bad fan bearings, loose fan, or, most common: Gigabyte's fan voltage regulator works badly at low RPM.

Do not dismiss @DRDNA 's suggestion btw

https://www.google.nl/search?q=Giga...rome..69i57.5136j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I would suggest installing MSI Afterburner and setting a custom fan profile;

First, visually check if all your fans are spinning when you lock them at 100% speed.
Next, set a custom fan curve that does not idle to 0% fanspeed, instead keep minimum speed at 20~40% whichever works for you. Experiment if possible; try if 20 removes the behaviour, then move up to 30, retest, 40, retest. I can almost guarantee that if its not faulty hardware, at 30-40% your problem is solved.

I am not sure if there is a bios update for this card but that is another useful route to take, GB have released updated BIOSes I recall for several of their cards for such issues.

If the behaviour does not go away, use warranty and pray for the best.

Kranolf

This issue is common with Gigabyte cards. There are multiple cases as well: either bad fan bearings, loose fan, or, most common: Gigabyte's fan voltage regulator works badly at low RPM.

Do not dismiss @DRDNA 's suggestion btw

https://www.google.nl/search?q=Giga...rome..69i57.5136j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I would suggest installing MSI Afterburner and setting a custom fan profile;

First, visually check if all your fans are spinning when you lock them at 100% speed.
Next, set a custom fan curve that does not idle to 0% fanspeed, instead keep minimum speed at 20~40% whichever works for you. Experiment if possible; try if 20 removes the behaviour, then move up to 30, retest, 40, retest. I can almost guarantee that if its not faulty hardware, at 30-40% your problem is solved.

I am not sure if there is a bios update for this card but that is another useful route to take, GB have released updated BIOSes I recall for several of their cards for such issues.

If the behaviour does not go away, use warranty and pray for the best.

That's what I did. I installed afterburner and set a FIXED SPEED to 45% fan speed. It keeps doing that, until fan spikes occur and the afterburner still shows nothing, even when the fans are consantly spinning for tens of minutes at 100% afterburner shows that its spinning at the speed I set. Same to the other softwares.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
That's what I did. I installed afterburner and set a FIXED SPEED to 45% fan speed. It keeps doing that, until fan spikes occur and the afterburner still shows nothing, even when the fans are consantly spinning for tens of minutes at 100% afterburner shows that its spinning at the speed I set. Same to the other softwares.

Good, always start simple. When you have made 100% sure the fault cannot be on your end or the rig's end (mobo/OS/software), there is the option of trying/finding a BIOS that fixes this or calling support. Even before you flash BIOS btw, I would in fact be using the warranty first. If this is not your problem or fault, its not yours to fix ;)

BTW. CAM is one very good example of a piece of software that can potentially screw things like this up entirely. Definitely remove it and test. And remember: before any test or retest, there is always re boot.

Kranolf

Good, always start simple. When you have made 100% sure the fault cannot be on your end or the rig's end (mobo/OS/software), there is the option of trying/finding a BIOS that fixes this or calling support. Even before you flash BIOS btw, I would in fact be using the warranty first. If this is not your problem or fault, its not yours to fix ;)

BTW. CAM is one very good example of a piece of software that can potentially screw things like this up entirely. Definitely remove it and test. And remember: before any test or retest, there is always re boot.

Yep. I once uninstalled every software to see if it happnes. And yep, it did.

I can't just RMA the card because I am in the EU. They have such a bs policy, they don't offer a freakin global warranty. I got the card from the US...I'm trying to beg them now to let me send in EU service.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Yep. I once uninstalled every software to see if it happnes. And yep, it did.

I can't just RMA the card because I am in the EU. They have such a bs policy, they don't offer a freakin global warranty. I got the card from the US...I'm trying to beg them now to let me send in EU service.

Can you not go through the seller? If you're in the EU, most consumer laws state seller's the one that communicates with GB

Kranolf

Can you not go through the seller? If you're in the EU, most consumer laws state seller's the one that communicates with GB

I bought it from Newegg (ebay). And I also asked Gigabyte if I can send it back. They said yes but only to the US because that's were the product was purchased, therefore I have to pay shipping fees to the US, and give a US address where they will ship back after the service. Total bs, I can't afford to do that, too much money and time. So I am trying to find a way to send it to EU Gigabyte now.

rankup

I had a similar issue with my MSI 1070 so I ended up returning and buying a Galax GTX 1080 HOF. Glad I did this card is a solid performer and highly overclockable.
1080hof.jpeg

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Oh nice! I never heard of this brand btw, is it safe to buy from these noname brands?

Galax used to be Galaxy, and has been around for quite some time. The HOF (hall of fame) products are top tier components from them, and most of them in the wild get no complaints from users.

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518