• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hurt Locker Copyright Extortion Racket In Tatters, Plaintiffs' Hypocrisy

LordJummy

System Name Workstation1 | Asus G55VW-DS71
Processor i7 970 3.8GHz | i7 3610QM
Motherboard RIII Formula
Cooling EK 360 Supreme HF | Asus G55VW
Memory 24GB Dominator | 12GB DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x Diamond HD 6970 | GTX 660M
Storage 2x Vertex4 256GB | 256GB Vertex4 & 750GB HDD
Display(s) 3x Crossover 27" LED S-IPS + 30" DELL IPS
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro + Gigaworks G550W
Power Supply HX1000 + NZXT Black Sleeved Extensions
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
Sigh, I did not misunderstand. I just thought it wasn't good. But whatever.

So, what should we do about pirates?

I think you did, actually. Your complaint with the analogy was trivial and unrelated to the actual subject. Your initial response was a clear indication that you didn't understand the subject. If that's inaccurate, then perhaps you can grace me with a more substantial response. Until then don't bother replying with something like this, and please PM it to me. Thank you.

We shouldn't do anything about pirates. We should be looking at society, and why people have to resort to pirating in the first place.

System Name Benny
Processor Phenom II 1055t @ 3.3GHz; 300x11; 1.380v; NB 2700; HT 2400
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (2002 BIOS)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE 120 Black + 2 Xilence Red Wing PWM 120mm (push/pull) + polycarbonate fan holders
Memory 8GB GeIL Ultra 2133MHZ C9 running at 1600MHz @ 7-7-7-21 1T 1.5v
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX470 @ Stock w/CPU fan cable-tied on, as one of the GPU fans broke.
Storage 60GB OCZ Agility3 (OS);500GB WDC Grn; 1x1TB WDC Blk (Backup)
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Case Silverstone Raven 2 (all cables custom sleeved with velcro mod on side panel...)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi (Onboard) + Harmon Kardon HK6100 amp powering JVC HA-RX700's with Zalman mic
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No benchies so making this space useful! Corsair M90, Logitech G19. Phobya FlexLight LED's (gawjus)
So in short, you are trolling. That's great. Maybe stick to the nonsense forum for that?

Someone's gotta be the MailMan. Enjoy the thread while it lasts. Threads like this are just perfect for finding out which users engage in illegal activities.
You can argue over why it's right and wrong and use your car and tree analogys all you like; the fact is, this thread is not about whether pirating is right and wrong or why it's done (even though it's turned that way) so you were all pretty much trolling before I even got here.

LordJummy

Motherboard RIII Formula
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
Someone's gotta be the MailMan. Enjoy the thread while it lasts. Threads like this are just perfect for finding out which users engage in illegal activities.
You can argue over why it's right and wrong and use your car and tree analogys all you like; the fact is, this thread is not about whether pirating is right and wrong (even though it's turned that way) so you were all pretty much trolling before I even got here.

All I see here is you trying to justify your trolling, and obscuring it by blaming other people because they were trolling before you? Take accountability for your actions.

BTW the thread is obscured and off topic because of posts like yours. Just because other people made ignorant posts similar to yours before you did doesn't make it okay for you to do it. YOU just posted about how terrible piracy is and how pirates are bad, etc. Have you already forgotten that?

System Name Benny
Cooling Thermalright TRUE 120 Black + 2 Xilence Red Wing PWM 120mm (push/pull) + polycarbonate fan holders
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX470 @ Stock w/CPU fan cable-tied on, as one of the GPU fans broke.
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Case Silverstone Raven 2 (all cables custom sleeved with velcro mod on side panel...)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi (Onboard) + Harmon Kardon HK6100 amp powering JVC HA-RX700's with Zalman mic
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No benchies so making this space useful! Corsair M90, Logitech G19. Phobya FlexLight LED's (gawjus)
Take accountability for your actions.

I do. Your first post in this thread and every post after was trolling. Gonna take accountability for that?

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
I do. Your first post in this thread and every post after was trolling. Gonna take accountability for that?

trolling is not what you obviously think it is. if the topic of conversation has naturally changed, keeping in line with that topic is not trolling. if you think post titles are static barriers of what is allowed for discussion and what is not... welcome to the internet. i'm not advocating off topic, just saying "on topic" is grayer than "the title says this, so keep it at that"

trolling is posting something with the explicit desire to invoke an emotional response. (when that's not the intention of the thread)

LordJummy

Motherboard RIII Formula
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz

Just more trolling from you. I was combating trolling in my first post. I stand by everything I type or say, right or wrong. If you can explain what I said that could be construed as trolling in that first post or any other thereafter, then I will do my best to explain why I wrote it. Until then, I don't owe you a thing.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I think you did, actually. Your complaint with the analogy was trivial and unrelated to the actual subject. Your initial response was a clear indication that you didn't understand the subject. If that's inaccurate, then perhaps you can grace me with a more substantial response. Until then don't bother replying with something like this, and please PM it to me. Thank you.

We shouldn't do anything about pirates. We should be looking at society, and why people have to resort to pirating in the first place.

See the edited post.

"Have to resort to" is an interesting choice of words indicating people have no choice. Which they totally do. In the western world anyhow. A lot of people are not resorting to it, they just do it because .. I don't know really. They want to eat the cake and keep it to or something? The number of people that pirate stuff because "down with the Man" (or whatever) and actually mean that are likely very few. Oftentimes it feels like a prayer of some sorts people use to make themselves feel good about it.

While it's true we have other problems and so on piracy is a part of it and everything is connected.

System Name Benny
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Software Win7 Pro x64
trolling is not what you obviously think it is. if the topic of conversation has naturally changed, keeping in line with that topic is not trolling.

trolling is posting something with the explicit desire to invoke an emotional response.

I think what this has turned into is too far off of the OP; I would say it's deviating too much and it's the same as all the other threads that get locked by the 4th page. Yes I know Jummy will say because of posts like mine but really it's because people just can't have a civil debate without resorting to insults. And I have seen numerous offensive remarks in this thread.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
You can argue over why it's right and wrong and use your car and tree analogys all you like; the fact is, this thread is not about whether pirating is right and wrong or why it's done (even though it's turned that way) so you were all pretty much trolling before I even got here.

All I see here is you trying to justify your trolling, and obscuring it by blaming other people because they were trolling before you? Take accountability for your actions.

BTW the thread is obscured and off topic because of posts like yours. Just because other people made ignorant posts similar to yours before you did doesn't make it okay for you to do it. YOU just posted about how terrible piracy is and how pirates are bad, etc. Have you already forgotten that?

trolling is not what you obviously think it is. if the topic of conversation has naturally changed, keeping in line with that topic is not trolling. if you think post titles are static barriers of what is allowed for discussion and what is not... welcome to the internet. i'm not advocating off topic, just saying "on topic" is grayer than "the title says this, so keep it at that"

trolling is posting something with the explicit desire to invoke an emotional response. (when that's not the intention of the thread)

Just more trolling from you. I was combating trolling in my first post. I stand by everything I type or say, right or wrong. If you can explain what I said that could be construed as trolling in that first post or any other thereafter, then I will do my best to explain why I wrote it. Until then, I don't owe you a thing.

I'll say this once. Keep your conversations on the topic an off of one another. I'm not going to close this thread down, but I will keep people who cannot post appropriately out.

Thanks for your cooperation.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
While it's true we have other problems and so on piracy is a part of it and everything is connected.

but the human desire to get something for nothing will not change, at least NEVER with the tactics that are currently used.

so if the tactics are useless in preventing piracy, and all they do is potentially reward companies for sales they never might have had in the first place, something is obviously wrong.

so instead of focusing on the pirates, who (again) likely wouldn't have bought the product anyway - focus on more effective ways of stopping them from being able to, without showing obvious disdain for your paying customers. wide nets are not ok, as innocent people will get snared, and this is not a life-threatening situation worthy of such action.

when i can't play a paid game 5 years after release, because of the copy protection they used to stop pirates from getting it in the first 2 days, the company is doing something wrong. pirates are inevitable, they need to do business without burdening the people who PAY THEM.

Last edited:

LordJummy

Motherboard RIII Formula
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
See the edited post.

"Have to resort to" is an interesting choice of words indicating people have no choice. Which they totally do. In the western world anyhow. A lot of people are not resorting to it, they just do it because .. I don't know really. They want to eat the cake and keep it to or something? The number of people that pirate stuff because "down with the Man" (or whatever) and actually mean that are likely very few. Oftentimes it feels like a prayer of some sorts people use to make themselves feel good about it.

re·sort /riˈzôrt/

Verb:
Turn to and adopt (a strategy or course of action, esp. a disagreeable or undesirable one) so as to resolve a difficult situation.

This is the actual definition ^

People require entertainment, and crave art. Many who pirate can't afford to download albums, go to the movies, etc. Does that make them unworthy of the art? Does that immediately make them evil wrongdoers? I have a feeling if the pirates who can't afford the material suddenly had plenty of means, they would probably pay for the things they pirated.

If I were a recording artist, I would want people to hear my art regardless of whether they could afford it. This is a conversation too complex for a topic as specific as this threads'. This is all extremely subjective, and everything I am saying is my personal opinion.

I will retire from this discussion as there doesn't seem to be anyone serious left here. Unfortunately this is a trend I've noticed that has prevented me from posting much over the past couple months. Feel free to PM me if you have an argument with me you want to settle.

Thanks.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
People require entertainment, and crave art. Many who pirate can't afford to download albums, go to the movies, etc. Does that make them unworthy of the art? Does that immediately make them evil wrongdoers? I have a feeling if the pirates who can't afford the material suddenly had plenty of means, they would probably pay for the things they pirated.

I looked up that very word to make sure I understood it corectly. Which is why I added "in the western world" where people tend to have money. Yet they pirate. I know tons of people who have not bought a single movie in a decade and yet they have them all in vast HDD libraries. And while one can agree that art should be for everyone it can cost a shitton of cash to produce (look at all the blockbuster movies for instance), how would that work (if I'm allowed to go on a tangent)? One can also argue that the pursue of creating art is lost in greed, and it is. It's unfortunatly how the world works and that will not change if not God, Santa Claus and the Flying Spaghetti monster team up and take care of it.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
This is just great Frick. You see what you did? Now they won't stay and argue why being poor justifies their massive pirated collection Justin Bieber videos and songs.

copyrightextortion

Abuse of Copyright Law by Copyright Trolls & Bullies

There are two types of people in this world.

1. Those who want to make money by protecting their work legally via copyrights

2. Those who want to share everything freely, openly and without any type of restrictions

I, myself belong to the latter type who loves to get educated (and educate others) via free research in libraries or web. If there's any copyright which I'd want to display on anything I produce or work, it will go something like this;

(0) PUBLIC DOMAIN. TO THE EXTENT POSSIBLE UNDER LAW, MR.ABC HAS WAIVED ALL COPYRIGHT AND RELATED OR NEIGHBORING RIGHTS TO THIS WORK.

My reasoning is simple; For every free input, there should be a free output. However, not everyone will agree as they will come up with a gazillion reasons and logics to make money off of someone's FREE and public domain information. These money-hogs actually use (or abuse) the copyright law to extort money out of an innocent and a totally naïve researcher via threats to sue in the court of law for the lack of licensing, a modern term of paying to use their information or media. This reminds me of a James Bond movie slogan "License to Kill". Sometimes, too much law prohibits free spirit of innovation, research or movement of information across different mediums.

To avoid such copyright trolls, you can always include the following information at the appropriate section of a web-page or a book;

1. Title of the media or publication
2. Author's or Owner's name
3. Online Link Where found

If you have modified their work in any way (provided their license allows you to do that or you got their permission via mail), you can add the word "DERIVATIVE" or "BASED UPON".

For example, you need an image of a squirrel in your website or a book. If you use online research tools, you'd see hundreds of images related to squirrel which are licensed by greedy individuals or organizations ready to sue you in the court of law unless you pay their license fee. To filter out such money-hogs, there's a very useful online tool;

http://search.creativecommons.org/

Checkmark the "use for commercial purposes" and the "modify, adapt, or build upon" boxes. Select the appropriate website where you want to research (Be ware to avoid the ones mentioned below). And enter your search term "Squirrel". Select the image to extract the reference information as mentioned above before using it.

In the worst-case scenario, if you mistakenly (or innocently) used someone's licensed work and they request you to take it down, you can request further information to prove they are the actual owners of that particular item. If they cooperate with you nicely and professionally by providing you with the maximum information possible (which is verifiable), you should honor their request to remove their copyrighted work immediately. Otherwise, there's almost a quarter million dollars fine for using someone's copyrighted or licensed work without their consent. However, If that individual or organization starts off by threatening to sue you instead of a nice request, you got a copyright troll on your hands.

Unless they provide you all of the information (they may provide you part of it, but not all), simply ignore such threats. If such a troll happens to be an attorney, research about their respective bar association license number and file the complaint with the bar's administration. You can also file the complaint in the respective State's Attorney General's office and FTC as well. Trollish attorneys are usually relentless and use all kinds of legal jargon to prove you as some sort of a criminal in their letters by assuming you are guilty of a deliberate and a willful violation of their client's copyright or license.

I used to hate the "IGNORE" word. But today, I love it. It pisses the hell out of copyright trolls who are so desperate for our money and attention. There should be a provision to "criminalize" such an abuse of copyright law by trollish organizations, individuals and attorneys. Let's rally our own Congressmen and Congresswomen to introduce such "Anti-Bullying" and "Anti-Trollish" provisions to the copyright law.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Great first post there, copyrightextortion. Well said. :)

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
NECRO THREAD

@copyrightextortion OR you could just use your own original stuff and not rip other people off. Could do that too. Anyone can ctrl-c, ctrl-v. Why not contribute instead of leaching of off other peoples hard work?

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
2 damn years for a wall of text.

TheMailMan78

Big Member