• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HW Monitor strange voltages

qwertyu

I'm having these startup problems with my pc for a couple of weeks now , it can't boot sometimes from turned off, the cpu fan spins faster, and it does not give any video or audio signals, just stays like that forever until the power is turned off. Then when I turn the power on it boots like there was nothing wrong before, but here is the problem: I checked the voltages with HW Monitor and there are 17V where it says 12 and around 8V where it says 5. Could it be the psu problem or HW Monitor is not showing the correct voltages? P.S. I had just one freeze on the system in these two weeks without any blue screen and three days ago i had this startup boot problem that the pc was not turning on after i switch it off for 5-6 times then i had to take everything apart from case, even switch the ram modules the first one to the second and second to the first slot so the pc then went to be ok again. I'm gonna try some other psu to see if the voltages will be the same and if it will work ok, This boot problem must be solved. I would like to see some thoughts here, thanks.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 480
System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
I'm having these startup problems with my pc for a couple of weeks now , it can't boot sometimes from turned off, the cpu fan spins faster, and it does not give any video or audio signals, just stays like that forever until the power is turned off. Then when I turn the power on it boots like there was nothing wrong before, but here is the problem: I checked the voltages with HW Monitor and there are 17V where it says 12 and around 8V where it says 5. Could it be the psu problem or HW Monitor is not showing the correct voltages? P.S. I had just one freeze on the system in these two weeks without any blue screen and three days ago i had this startup boot problem that the pc was not turning on after i switch it off for 5-6 times then i had to take everything apart from case, even switch the ram modules the first one to the second and second to the first slot so the pc then went to be ok again. I'm gonna try some other psu to see if the voltages will be the same and if it will work ok, This boot problem must be solved. I would like to see some thoughts here, thanks.

if the 12v is 17V then it's probably HW-mon being wrong, at 17V i'd bee surprised your system still worked at all

qwertyu

thanks, i see now i made a mistake with my thread, i don't know where to ask, thanks again.

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
thanks, i see now i made a mistake with my thread, i don't know where to ask, thanks again.

Just ask a Mod to move it, they're normally happy to help

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
First, I will say, if, you think your PSU voltages are off, then get a multimeter or a PSU tester and check them.

Secondly, if, you want a second opinion using software then try...
1. Some software from your motherboard manufacturer (if, ECS has one)
2.Try HWInfo32 or HWINfo64

Thirdly, see if there is a place in the bios that shows current voltages...

Just some ideas.:)