• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Hype Trains and You: A PSA

Valve knows hypetrain very well. That's why they are afraid to make Half Life 3.
No matter how good it would be, people would complain anyways, it would have too high expectations.

But this is the thing. Is it AMD doing the Hype or is it us? No Mans Sky is a great example of when the publics own Hype Train is it's own undoing.
Bulls***! That's only an excuse made up to defend NMS. The public didn't do that. Solely it's developer did. He always dropped a little bit of lie about game features in every of his interview. And the result didn't have that feature. Stop defending that money grabbing lier!

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Bulls***! That's only an excuse made up to defend NMS. The public didn't do that. Solely it's developer did. He always dropped a little bit of lie about game features in every of his interview. And the result didn't have that feature. Stop defending that money grabbing lier!
LOL he made one off hand remark about seeing other players and the world took it as gospel and then completely ignored his tweets before release about it not being a multiplayer game but you keep on that chestnut everybody else did....I own it and played it a lot. I got the game I paid for because I didn't get sucked into the hype.

System Name ACME Singularity Unit
Processor Coal-dual 9000
Motherboard Oak Plank
Cooling 4 Snow Yetis huffing and puffing in parallel
Memory Hasty Indian (I/O: 3 smoke signals per minute)
Video Card(s) Bob Ross AI module
Storage Stone Tablet 2.0
Display(s) Where are my glasses?
Case Hand sewn bull hide
Audio Device(s) On demand tribe singing
Power Supply Spin-o-Wheel-matic
Mouse Hamster original
Keyboard Chisel 1.9a (upgraded for Stone Tablet 2.0 compatibility)
Software It's all hard down here
Am a baby here, so my opinion -should- have the equivalent weight, ergo none :)

So that out of the way (and i do stand by it), i would have to say that:

i) This was superfluous; "getting hyped" is a direct result of lacking in maturity/judgement/critical thinking and/or suffering from complexes. Nothing this frog says will change that; like ever. Human nature 101 :)
As such, and considering this is a full-blown tech site, a superfluous article is a 'bad' article. Especially when said article's superficiality centers on something utterly subjective.

ii) Possibly bad timing considering a much awaited review. Tin foil hats abound. See i)

edit: though yes, i understand both reasoning and intentions.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Hype Trains are bad. They are not just bad because a random frog on the internet told you so either, they are bad because they build upon themselves to the point that you would believe a random frog on the internet if he said something beneficial about your chosen product.

It's not just technology either. It can happen in politics, religion, whatever. But they are bad, and not to be trusted. They aren't just bad for humanity and all that, they are bad for the products they represent. Yes, they actually hurt what they are hyping. Ryzen didn't benefit from the hypetrain anymore than Trump benefited from the "Trump Train." Allow me to explain (and please, put the foam back in your mouth for me uttering "Trump" in a tech article. That's the only time I promise).

Bottom line is, hype trains take everything good and compound it, true or not. This raises expectations into the stratosphere and make them impossible to satisfy. Once the product, candidate, or what have you is brought into general existence, it will never satisfy what it has been built up to be. This leads to disappointment. Disappointment will not help sales long-term, nor ensure a safe re-election for a politician. The higher the hype, the bigger the disappointment.

I remember a game I was really hyped for circa 2003 or so. GolemLabs premier geopolitical simulator "Superpower 2." It was a game that let you control any nation on earth in modern times. It also got hyped on its own forums into the stratosphere, and guess what? When I got it, I thought it sucked really hardcore… only it didn't. Most critics ranked it as somewhat novel and mediocre, but to me, it was utter and complete garbage because I couldn't do everything they promised me on the forums, things that likely were never even on the drawing board, let alone ever implemented.

I'm still stung from that hype train. The only way a hype train can work honestly is if it is sustained by an outside force. The political example of this would be Robert Mugabe (have some Wikipedia fun there), President-until-I-say-otherwise of Zimbabwe. The interesting thing about Mugabe by the way, is his hype train is still going in elements of his country, despite him mismanaging its economy to the point he literally added 0's to his bills to "control inflation."

So, don't be an idiot, don't vote for Mugabe, and for god sake man get off that hype train before it kills all our realistic expectations. You aren't helping anyone.

Thank you very much for the editorial, I couldn't agree more, I believe as a society we need to rely more on facts than hype or unproven expectations.

Journalists also have a responsibility to try to avoid fanning the flames, as their influence is paramount to steering public opinion when it comes to reporting about any topic in particular, be it politics, technology, sports, you name it. I know controversial hype news articles are magnets for intense discussion and therefor, advertising revenue, but we need to stick to the facts whenever possible.

Thanks for your opinion, it was a refreshing read!

System Name Desktop / "Console"
Processor Ryzen 5950X / Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus X570 Hero / Asus X570-i
Cooling EK AIO Elite 280 / Cryorig C1
Memory 32GB Gskill Trident DDR4-3600 CL16 / 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE / RTX 2080ti FE
Storage 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus NVME / 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 NVME, 1TB Intel 660P
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW / LG 65CX Oled
Case Lian Li O11 Mini / Sliger CL530 Conswole
Audio Device(s) Sony AVR, SVS speakers & subs / Marantz AVR, SVS speakers & subs
Power Supply ROG Loki 1000 / Silverstone SX800
VR HMD Quest 3
Sorry, but the two hypetrain headlines feel a lot like MSN clickbait, and the political analogies just end up turning your time and work into something much closer to troll attempts. Please, do not drop TPU to click bait level... I also feel that if you are going to use TPU's front page for your article, you can at least put in the effort to use one of countless relevant comparisons in the tech industry (past or present) and at least try to sound semi-professional. Otherwise, as others have pointed out, it just sounds like a forum rant targeted at kids/teenagers.

No offense, I'll still give you next article a fair read.

On topic, I feel that the only bad instance of the hypetrain is when a company or an individual with first hand knowledge is well aware of a products abilities, and is well aware that what they are publishing about said product abilities are false/exaggerated. Other than that, it is solely on the reader to inform themselves from credible sources and manage their own expectations.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
No offense, I'll still give you next article a fair read.

None taken. A lot of the complaints here are valid, and I will use them to better myself.

Where my head is about this article, to both my critics and fans credit:

I don't think politics necessarily have NO place in TPU, but if I ever bring them up again, they will be relevant to the topic and have facts and references. I deliberately avoided discussing Trump believe it or not to avoid political problems while still trying to make a point about hype trains being bad in more than just product lineups, but Mugabe was a stretch at best, and lacked any real references beyond his very real dictatorship reality (that borders on irrelevant to tech btw).

In short, if politics are brought up again, I will pledge to try to make the claims well supported, and first and foremost, relevant to technology.

Thank you all for the feedback as I learn the ropes here.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
I deliberately avoided discussing Trump
Oh my god i just had to
blame google

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED

dorsetknob

:) Pepe the Frog is a popular Internet meme. The fictional green anthropomorphic frog with a ... In October 2015, Donald Trump retweeted a Pepe representation of himself, associated with a video called "You Can't Stump the Trump (Volume 4)".

o_O:laugh::roll::roll::roll:
BE GLAD HE IS ON YOUR TEAM :):laugh:

System Name DEVIL'S ABYSS
Processor i7-4790K@4.6 GHz
Motherboard Asus Z97-Deluxe
Cooling Corsair H110 (2 x 140mm)(3 x 140mm case fans)
Memory 16GB Adata XPG V2 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA 780 Ti Classified
Storage Intel 750 Series 400GB (AIC), Plextor M6e 256GB (M.2), 13 TB storage
Display(s) Crossover 27QW (27"@ 2560x1440)
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse Ttsports Talon Blu
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1803
Benchmark Scores Passmark CPU score = 13080
After reading all the Ryzen buyers reviews on Newegg, I noticed a lot of things most of them have in common. Most were "upgrading" from FX 8320s and 8350s, and thus were "blown away" by the performance increase. Most noted issues with their RAM (only boots with 2133 speed, or only POSTs with one stick installed). Many blamed their motherboard, and felt that BIOS updates would magically fix all their problems. About 10% of them still don't have a booting system. A large percentage of them are waiting for software or OS updates, game patches, and BIOS updates - then we'll show those Intel fanbois! Almost all of them crow about how great it is, even while noting all the "temporary" problems. Many are also bragging about their "overclocks" to 4.0 @1.4+ vcore, on the 3.0-3.7 1700, and no higher on the 3.6-4.0 1800X. Most noted very high temps, even at idle. Delusional? Perhaps they were run over by the hype train and incurred brain damage in the accident. How else do you explain a 5-egg review of a CPU from a buyer who can't even find a motherboard for it two weeks after launch?

dorsetknob

How else do you explain a 5-egg review of a CPU from a buyer who can't even find a motherboard for it two weeks after launch?

? On a I7 Kabylake running a virtual machine :) just a thought :)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
BE GLAD HE IS ON YOUR TEAM :):laugh:

I bet I'm twice the frog he is (Trump that is).

Pepe... meh. He may be frog but I always found him slightly disturbing. He's like the strange frog-uncle no one wants to talk about.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Marketing effects the educated less than the uneducated. Or is it affects......... which group am I in? LOLOLOL!

Weird this rant is in the news section. We really need an editorials sub section in the news if pieces like these are going to be commonplace. I look up and see news... then read the content... look up again and see news... scratches head... :p

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Marketing effects the educated less than the uneducated. Or is it affects......... which group am I in? LOLOLOL!

Weird this rant is in the news section. We really need an editorials sub section in the news if pieces like these are going to be commonplace. I look up and see news... then read the content... look up again and see news... scratches head... :p

I would agree with more separation between the sections than the lame little "editorial" flare, but that is W1zzards domain, and I'm sure he has a lot on his plate.

I was joking mostly when I said editorials are glorified rants. If this seriously came across as a rant, then not my best work.

Again, thank you honestly for the feedback.

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score

thats it....

I actually find the quote here Meh, but the picture is classic and hilarious...I have a pic of these two balcony muppets from my childhood as my avatar on few other places online...tough choice I'm thinking of using them in other places like here etc but so many avatars, so many online sites!

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
I actually find the quote here Meh, but the picture is classic and hilarious...I have a pic of these two balcony muppets from my childhood as my avatar on few other places online...tough choice I'm thinking of using them in other places like here etc but so many avatars, so many online sites!
I actually have their statuettes in my room, my GF likens me to them a lot.

Hype Trains are bad. They are not just bad because a random frog on the internet told you so either, they are bad because they build upon themselves to the point that you would believe a random frog on the internet if he said something beneficial about your chosen product.

It's not just technology either. It can happen in politics, religion, whatever. But they are bad, and not to be trusted. They aren't just bad for humanity and all that, they are bad for the products they represent. Yes, they actually hurt what they are hyping. Ryzen didn't benefit from the hypetrain anymore than Trump benefited from the "Trump Train." Allow me to explain (and please, put the foam back in your mouth for me uttering "Trump" in a tech article. That's the only time I promise).

Bottom line is, hype trains take everything good and compound it, true or not. This raises expectations into the stratosphere and make them impossible to satisfy. Once the product, candidate, or what have you is brought into general existence, it will never satisfy what it has been built up to be. This leads to disappointment. Disappointment will not help sales long-term, nor ensure a safe re-election for a politician. The higher the hype, the bigger the disappointment.

I remember a game I was really hyped for circa 2003 or so. GolemLabs premier geopolitical simulator "Superpower 2." It was a game that let you control any nation on earth in modern times. It also got hyped on its own forums into the stratosphere, and guess what? When I got it, I thought it sucked really hardcore… only it didn't. Most critics ranked it as somewhat novel and mediocre, but to me, it was utter and complete garbage because I couldn't do everything they promised me on the forums, things that likely were never even on the drawing board, let alone ever implemented.

I'm still stung from that hype train. The only way a hype train can work honestly is if it is sustained by an outside force. The political example of this would be Robert Mugabe (have some Wikipedia fun there), President-until-I-say-otherwise of Zimbabwe. The interesting thing about Mugabe by the way, is his hype train is still going in elements of his country, despite him mismanaging its economy to the point he literally added 0's to his bills to "control inflation."

So, don't be an idiot, don't vote for Mugabe, and for god sake man get off that hype train before it kills all our realistic expectations. You aren't helping anyone.
After reading all these posts, I have to ask; Did you do this PSA as a joke? Or maybe to stir the pot? The tone of it seems like it's less than serious. If that conclusion was wrong..

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
After reading all these posts, I have to ask; Did you do this PSA as a joke? Or maybe to stir the pot? The tone of it seems like it's less than serious. If that conclusion was wrong..

Hardly a joke, though I do write in a less than serious tone in general. I try to avoid that in news posts for obvious reasons but editorials I use less restraint. So yeah, I can see where you'd get that vibe.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
After reading all the Ryzen buyers reviews on Newegg, I noticed a lot of things most of them have in common. Most were "upgrading" from FX 8320s and 8350s, and thus were "blown away" by the performance increase. Most noted issues with their RAM (only boots with 2133 speed, or only POSTs with one stick installed). Many blamed their motherboard, and felt that BIOS updates would magically fix all their problems. About 10% of them still don't have a booting system. A large percentage of them are waiting for software or OS updates, game patches, and BIOS updates - then we'll show those Intel fanbois! Almost all of them crow about how great it is, even while noting all the "temporary" problems. Many are also bragging about their "overclocks" to 4.0 @1.4+ vcore, on the 3.0-3.7 1700, and no higher on the 3.6-4.0 1800X. Most noted very high temps, even at idle. Delusional? Perhaps they were run over by the hype train and incurred brain damage in the accident. How else do you explain a 5-egg review of a CPU from a buyer who can't even find a motherboard for it two weeks after launch?

Because a new platform means buying into it at launch makes you an early adopter, and early adopters have a thick skin when it comes to issues on their purchase. They will look for solutions, wait for solutions, and a good early adopter is prepared to do so.

So yeah. You can explain those reviews however which way you would personally prefer to. The bottom line, all these buyers DO have an extremely competitive 8 core machine for half the money of an Intel counterpart.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Because a new platform means buying into it at launch makes you an early adopter, and early adopters have a thick skin when it comes to issues on their purchase. They will look for solutions, wait for solutions, and a good early adopter is prepared to do so.

So yeah. You can explain those reviews however which way you would personally prefer to. The bottom line, all these buyers DO have an extremely competitive 8 core machine for half the money of an Intel counterpart.
If they can use more than 8 threads it's a superior product for less. If not, pricing for 7700k vs the octo is more until you get down to the lowest bin 1700 where it's about the same.

System Name Miyuki Rev. 3
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 LP 4GB x4
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD6950 1GB GDDR5 Dual Fan Edition
Storage Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Benchmark Scores http://www.hwbot.org/signature/u26857.png
In one sentence. At least, one sentence excluding the promise not to mention him again.

View attachment 85130

There, now I'm sure Obama is offended too.
It is a forum rant. Editorials are just fancier forum rants with grammar checks.
A bit ashamed to admit, it was in a folder on my desktop and I have no idea where it came from. Tips welcome.

As a newcomer (I have been reading TPU article for a long time, since you guys did feature my picture for Phenom II X4 955BE early release)

Your "Hype Train" picture is from a game called Kerbal Space Program (maybe their facebook )
it is a fun game :)

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
As a newcomer (I have been reading TPU article for a long time, since you guys did feature my picture for Phenom II X4 955BE early release)

Your "Hype Train" picture is from a game called Kerbal Space Program (maybe their facebook )
it is a fun game :)

Thank you, I'm unsure how exactly to add a source in the traditional sense of our site given still no URL, but I will note this.