• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

Yimmeryams

System Name Scoots
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @3.2GHz (Auto)
Motherboard NB: AMD 890FX + SB: AMD SB850 (Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 2.0)
Cooling Air (ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa CPU Cooler)
Memory 8GB (4x2GB) @1333 (G.SKILL ECO Series 2GB CL7D-4GBECO)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 460 1GB, x2 SLI (Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum 1GB + MSI Hawk GeForce GTX 460 1GB)
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 7200 RPM WD1501FASS
Display(s) [1680x1050][1920x1080] (Primary: ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 16:9 + Secondary: HP w2207 16:10)
Case COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP
Power Supply COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
Software Win7 x64 (Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601))
Benchmark Scores Heaven Benchmark v2.5 Basic: 1578; DX11, 1920x1080, Fullscreen, High, Tess Normal
HyperSLI 0.7 ....

so I can now install 285.62 drivers, install HyperSLI, run 2D Surround (3600x1920, 3 28" monitors), and can run Virtual Machines as well? or no?

I must use 2D Surround .. there's no way I can work and/or play without that. I can't tell what I do, sorry. But I -do- play games with the system as well ... BF3 is my current heartthrob ....

Anyway, is what I want asking too much, or will it all just run fine?

(oh, yeah, currently SLIPatch working fine, but looks like support has stopped for that and without 285.62 drivers, and modded files, I'm stuck)

If you're running it now with SLIpatch and old drivers, it'll work with new HyperSLI and new drivers, as long as you disable the virtualization when you want to use Virtual Machines.

Worst case scenario, when you want to run a VM, your SLI might not work until you turn off your VM and re-enable HyperSLI virtualization.

What you'll do is:
1. make sure all your VMs are turned off
2. make sure your VMs don't automatically start at boot
3. install the new Nvidia drivers
4. reboot
5. run the HyperSLI 0.7 installer, press install or update or patch
6. reboot
7. open the HyperSLI Control Panel and make sure the box "Automatic disable Hypervisor when windows starts" box is checked.
8. reboot

Edit: To clarify, you may need to close your VMs and enable hypervisor manually before you play a game with SLI. If you need your VMs open at all times, even while playing games, you may want to hold off on installing the new drivers until you know if HyperSLI 0.7 works how you want. That way, you only need to revert Hyper/SLIpatch and not the drivers, too.

Last edited:

Weatherlight

Been lurking these forums for a while and haven't posted. But decided recently to try out HyperSLI and now have a rather dumb question for my first post.

HyperSLI works great, but I decided to replace my motherboard. Because I am running Windows 7, I like to cheat doing a reinstall and use sysprep instead (sorry, cant help it). The issue will be that the new MBA has SLI and I want to remove HyperSLI from the system. Is there a good way to remove HyperSLI from a system?

JBrantley130

Processor Intel E6500 2.93 Ghz OC'd to 4.0 Ghz
Motherboard Asus P5Q Pro Turbo
Cooling CoolerMaster plus two chassis fans
Memory 2x2Gb Crucial Memory 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA GTX 550Ti 2Gb
Storage Western Digital WD6400 586Gb
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster PX2370 Digital LED
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Bose 7 Series PC Sound System
Power Supply Antec 650Watt
Software Windows Vista 64bit Home Premium
Hi all, this is my first post on this board. First and foremost, THANK YOU to all who contributed to the patches that enable SLI on a nonSLI motherboard. Awesome work! Ok, so here's my deal right now. I installed SLI patch 1.5 with no problem, BF3 runs great in SLI mode at Ultra settings. But, I wanted to use the new Hyper SLI....tried both 0.6 and 0.7 betas with no luck. BSOD every time I restart. In my BIOS I have VT enabled. Check out my system specs for other info. Any input on how I can get Hyper SLI to work will be greatly appreciated and I look forward to contributing my knowledge to this board. Thanks

Yimmeryams

System Name Scoots
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 460 1GB, x2 SLI (Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum 1GB + MSI Hawk GeForce GTX 460 1GB)
Display(s) [1680x1050][1920x1080] (Primary: ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 16:9 + Secondary: HP w2207 16:10)
Power Supply COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
Benchmark Scores Heaven Benchmark v2.5 Basic: 1578; DX11, 1920x1080, Fullscreen, High, Tess Normal
Been lurking these forums for a while and haven't posted. But decided recently to try out HyperSLI and now have a rather dumb question for my first post.

HyperSLI works great, but I decided to replace my motherboard. Because I am running Windows 7, I like to cheat doing a reinstall and use sysprep instead (sorry, cant help it). The issue will be that the new MBA has SLI and I want to remove HyperSLI from the system. Is there a good way to remove HyperSLI from a system?

Disable SLI first in the Nvidia control panel.

Run the HyperSLI installer/patcher, and then press uninstall.

Run "msconfig" and select the correct boot from there.

Reboot and you should be fine.

Hi all, this is my first post on this board. First and foremost, THANK YOU to all who contributed to the patches that enable SLI on a nonSLI motherboard. Awesome work! Ok, so here's my deal right now. I installed SLI patch 1.5 with no problem, BF3 runs great in SLI mode at Ultra settings. But, I wanted to use the new Hyper SLI....tried both 0.6 and 0.7 betas with no luck. BSOD every time I restart. In my BIOS I have VT enabled. Check out my system specs for other info. Any input on how I can get Hyper SLI to work will be greatly appreciated and I look forward to contributing my knowledge to this board. Thanks

I don't see your system specs up anywhere. Edit: I see them now.

Make sure you don't have any Virtual Machines running, especially at boot. Having HyperSLI hypervisor and a VM will BSOD, at least on my computer. If it works without the VM, open the HyperSLI CP and disable hypervisor on Windows start, and you can open your VMs after everything loads.

Try disabling SLI, and see if it boots okay with it disabled. Obviously this isn't a solution, but it will help identify the problem.

Last edited:

federicoz45

System Name Water Damage Inc.
Processor AMD Phenom X6 1090T
Motherboard Asus Crosshair IV Formula
Cooling Full watercooled EK W.B. - Aquacomputer Gmbh. CPU-MB-VGA
Memory Corsair XMS3 DDR 3 8gb 1600 Mhz
Video Card(s) P.O.V. GTX 570 U.C. - EVGA GTX 570 S.C.
Storage SSD vertex 2 64 Gb - SSD Agility 4 128 Gb
Display(s) ASUS VE278Q
Case CoolerMaster CM690 Nvidia edition
Audio Device(s) Built in MB
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 1350W
Software Windows 7 x64 ultimate
Hi guys, I was running BF3 while a BSOD occurred: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.
The files involved are: dxgkrnl.sys - ntoskrnp.exe+7c1e9.
Is this happened to anyone of you?

snipe

Hi guys, I was running BF3 while a BSOD occurred: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.
The files involved are: dxgkrnl.sys - ntoskrnp.exe+7c1e9.
Is this happened to anyone of you?

Do you have 2 monitors running?

If so this will fix it, but if not try it anyways.

Go to you BF3 shortcut on desktop and right click it, select properties, then under the compatibility tab put check marks in DISABLE VISUAL THEMES, and DISABLE DESKTOP COMPOSITION, then apply and try again. For some reason windows fucks me up and it drops into windowed mode and I BSOD. That solved it. Also DO NOT ALT + TAB out of the game or you will BSOD.

0daan0

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3,8 Ghz
Motherboard Asus P5Q Pro
Memory Corsair DDR2 6 Gig @ 841 Mhz
Video Card(s) 2 x 9800GTX (Evga-Galaxy)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint 1 TB
Display(s) Asus VG236H
Case Thermaltake Mozart Media Lab
Audio Device(s) Creative x-fi Extreme Gamer
Power Supply OCZ ModXtream-pro 600 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Hi i'm new here. and to SLI ..

after a lot of struggle i suceed to have HyperSLI working (did a clean install W7 64 and then latest nvidia driver 285.62 and finaly HyperSLI)

now it works with BF3 .. but i discovered that when i want to play a game in 3D Vision my system hangs (the video hangs, but my harddrive still remains showing activity) this happens even when i run the 3D Vision setup wizard. i tested it with Prototype.. i will be testing more games like GTA4 and DeadSpace.. deu to the clean installation i have to reinstall these games.

the problem of hanging was the reason that i did a clean w7 install. now i discovered that it has something to do with 3D Vision enabled. Is HyperSLI working with 3D Vision ? or is it just not gonna happen now..

my sys config:
Asus P5Q Pro (bios 2102)
Intel E8400 @ 3,8Ghz (i also ran it at stock speed makes no difference)
2 x 9800GTX 512 MB (one Evga and other Galaxy, but both are running the same bios)
6 Gig Corsair DDR2 @ 841 Mhz (also ran it at 800Mhz but makes no difference)
Display Asus VG236
HD 1 TB Samsung spinpoint
HyperSLI 0.7 beta (also tested 0.1 and 0.6 and the sli patch 1.5 with modded drivers)

Buschti

System Name Windows 7
Processor Q9650
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-Premium
Cooling Liquid
Memory 4 GB DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) 2x GTX 570
Display(s) ASUS VG236HE
Audio Device(s) X-FI Titanium Fatality
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Hi i'm new here. and to SLI ..

after a lot of struggle i suceed to have HyperSLI working (did a clean install W7 64 and then latest nvidia driver 285.62 and finaly HyperSLI)

now it works with BF3 .. but i discovered that when i want to play a game in 3D Vision my system hangs (the video hangs, but my harddrive still remains showing activity) this happens even when i run the 3D Vision setup wizard. i tested it with Prototype.. i will be testing more games like GTA4 and DeadSpace.. deu to the clean installation i have to reinstall these games.

the problem of hanging was the reason that i did a clean w7 install. now i discovered that it has something to do with 3D Vision enabled. Is HyperSLI working with 3D Vision ? or is it just not gonna happen now..

my sys config:
Asus P5Q Pro (bios 2102)
Intel E8400 @ 3,8Ghz (i also ran it at stock speed makes no difference)
2 x 9800GTX 512 MB (one Evga and other Galaxy, but both are running the same bios)
6 Gig Corsair DDR2 @ 841 Mhz (also ran it at 800Mhz but makes no difference)
Display Asus VG236
HD 1 TB Samsung spinpoint
HyperSLI 0.7 beta (also tested 0.1 and 0.6 and the sli patch 1.5 with modded drivers)

Wow, atleast somebody with the very same problem. I cannot have SLI and 3D Vision activated at the same time aswell. Our motherboards are nearly the same, maybe there is some incompatibility with it. If I have just 3D Vision and single GPU mode, everythings works as intended but, not together. Try disabling SLI when using 3D Vision and see if it'll work. If it does, you have the same problem as I do and I haven't found a solution to this...

0daan0

Motherboard Asus P5Q Pro
Display(s) Asus VG236H
yes indeed when i disable SLI then it works.. i think we are having almost the same problem. i looked at my error log and the thing is that the nvidia driver isnt responding and therefore is beeing recoverd. somehow it wont recover comlpetely becouse the screen stays where it is (black or flickering display)

as far as i can understand your system gives a BSOD at the background. mine isnt but just isnt able to completly restore the display driver or so.

btw. dit you tried a driver before 258.96, i saw a post that it might be work with a driver before that one. i wil try it now.

0daan0

Motherboard Asus P5Q Pro
Display(s) Asus VG236H
yes indeed when i disable SLI then it works.. i think we are having almost the same problem. i looked at my error log and the thing is that the nvidia driver isnt responding and therefore is beeing recoverd. somehow it wont recover comlpetely becouse the screen stays where it is (black or flickering display)

as far as i can understand your system gives a BSOD at the background. mine isnt but just isnt able to completly restore the display driver or so.

btw. dit you tried a driver before 258.96, i saw a post that it might be work with a driver before that one. i wil try it now.

no luck .. diddent work.. just the same problem. 3D Discover works .. so it has something to do with the 3D vision controling (active shutter, refresh rate, something like that.. or USB? becouse the shutter transmitter is an USB device..)

0daan0

Motherboard Asus P5Q Pro
Display(s) Asus VG236H
ok i found a solution try dirver version 257.21 and the 3D Vision drivers

now im able to play games in 3D vision and SLI enabled

Buschti

System Name Windows 7
Processor Q9650
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-Premium
Cooling Liquid
Memory 4 GB DDR2 1066
Video Card(s) 2x GTX 570
Display(s) ASUS VG236HE
Audio Device(s) X-FI Titanium Fatality
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
ok i found a solution try dirver version 257.21 and the 3D Vision drivers

now im able to play games in 3D vision and SLI enabled

I had it once working with a driver in the 270s. but that was a one timer somehow... still, it is a very strange error, and yes my system does bsod in the background but the driver also doesn't respond while doing so. It just sucks that you have to use older drivers to get both working... I hope the will be a solution to this

SickBeast

Hey, do you guys know how to get rid of the "test mode" text in the bottom right hand corner of the Windows desktop?

I've uninstalled Hyper SLI and the SLI Patch.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

SickBeast

Nevermind, I figured it out. There are a couple of things you need to do in the command prompt to get rid of it. Google had a guide.

BTW, OP, do you know when you'll have a final version out that allows the use of virtualization? I unfortunately run virtual machines all the time, so I can't run SLI until you can fix this.

Thanks for all your hard work, I've really enjoyed SLI on my AMD motherboard. :toast: :respect:

Yimmeryams

System Name Scoots
Nevermind, I figured it out. There are a couple of things you need to do in the command prompt to get rid of it. Google had a guide.

BTW, OP, do you know when you'll have a final version out that allows the use of virtualization? I unfortunately run virtual machines all the time, so I can't run SLI until you can fix this.

Thanks for all your hard work, I've really enjoyed SLI on my AMD motherboard. :toast: :respect:

Open the HyperSLI Control Panel.
Check the box that says, "Automatic disable Hypervisor when Windows starts".

SLI will still work. It makes the SLI board check once, at startup, and then Hypervisor disables.

N884Drytrip

Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1090T BE @ 3776 Mhz
Motherboard Asus M4a89td
Cooling Stock Fans
Memory 8 gig Mushkin @ 1888 CAS 7/9/7
Video Card(s) Nvidia gtx 460 (SLI) One is Palit One is MSI
Storage WD Raptor 120GB / WD Caviar Black 1TB
Display(s) Samsung px2370 60hz 1920x1080
Case Antec mid tower
Audio Device(s) onboard 8 channel
Power Supply ABS Dark Beret series DB850-M-BRZ 850W
Software Win7 x64 Pro/ MSI afterburner / TurboVevo
So, what are the advantages of the hypersli 0.7 beta over the 0.6. I upgraded from slipatch to the hypersli 0.6 beta and everything works great. Im worried about messing that up if I upgrade to the hypersli 0.7. Should I do it? and if so what should be the procedure from going from 0.6 to 0.7

phoen

System Name Betaku
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-3770K @ 4.80Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI Big Bang Z77 MPower
Cooling Rad: XSPC RX360 - Pump/Res: Swiftech Maelstrom + MCP35X - Wb: EK-Supremacy Plexi/Nickel
Memory Avexir MPower Edition 16GB @ 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce GTX 680 AMP! Edition 2GB
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB / WD VelociRaptor 150GB / WD Caviar Green 1TB / WD Caviar Black 500GB
Display(s) Asus VG236HE 120Hz - 23"
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) Realtek Onboard
Power Supply Corsair Professional Series HX850
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
So, what are the advantages of the hypersli 0.7 beta over the 0.6. I upgraded from slipatch to the hypersli 0.6 beta and everything works great. Im worried about messing that up if I upgrade to the hypersli 0.7. Should I do it? and if so what should be the procedure from going from 0.6 to 0.7

Just update.

Yimmeryams

System Name Scoots

The benefit is an updated control panel, the option to disable Hypervisor at boot, and the options to enable / disable Hypervisor at will through the control panel.

If you're worried about updating, then don't do it.

Should you?
If you're going to use any new features, yes.
If you want to have the latest version just for the sake of it, yes.
If you want to use virtual machines, yes.

If you aren't going to use any new features and you don't mind not having the latest version, no. What you have works and there isn't really a reason to update in this case.

How to update? Download the file for 0.7, run it, and as phoen said, just click update. Then restart your computer.

N884Drytrip

Processor AMD Phenom II x6 1090T BE @ 3776 Mhz
Motherboard Asus M4a89td
Cooling Stock Fans
Memory 8 gig Mushkin @ 1888 CAS 7/9/7
Video Card(s) Nvidia gtx 460 (SLI) One is Palit One is MSI
Storage WD Raptor 120GB / WD Caviar Black 1TB
Display(s) Samsung px2370 60hz 1920x1080
Case Antec mid tower
Audio Device(s) onboard 8 channel
Power Supply ABS Dark Beret series DB850-M-BRZ 850W
Software Win7 x64 Pro/ MSI afterburner / TurboVevo
HyperSLI 0.7 beta works great. I've been paranoid about messing with it ever since some of the headaches I had with slipatch but the new hyperSLI has been working great for me. Its quite a relief. Thanks for the help. Excellent work Anatoly and crew!

xquizit

So I installed the Latest HyperSLI, and for some reason both GPUs are not working. MSI after burner, GPU-Z (says SLI is disabled), and EVGA Precision all show that one GPU is at 99% load in BF3 and the other is at 0% load.

I took off the SLI bridge and removed PSU connectors from the card, and decided to run BF3 with one card. I found out the FPS is the same with two 470s then one, something is wrong here.

Any ideas? I believe I have the virtualization enabled in my BIOS. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

0daan0

Motherboard Asus P5Q Pro
Display(s) Asus VG236H
I had it once working with a driver in the 270s. but that was a one timer somehow... still, it is a very strange error, and yes my system does bsod in the background but the driver also doesn't respond while doing so. It just sucks that you have to use older drivers to get both working... I hope the will be a solution to this

Indeed, it isnt all work well. COD BlackOps wont run, also with that drivers it crashes (same problem) and the performance of BF3 is not as good as with the new drivers.. a nice side effect was that it makes BF3 able to run in 3D without the 3D enabler hack.

i hope there wil be a cure for our problem.. otherwise im thinking of buying a SLI enabled motherboard..

Yimmeryams

System Name Scoots
So I installed the Latest HyperSLI, and for some reason both GPUs are not working. MSI after burner, GPU-Z (says SLI is disabled), and EVGA Precision all show that one GPU is at 99% load in BF3 and the other is at 0% load.

I took off the SLI bridge and removed PSU connectors from the card, and decided to run BF3 with one card. I found out the FPS is the same with two 470s then one, something is wrong here.

Any ideas? I believe I have the virtualization enabled in my BIOS. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Post system specs.

Did you enable SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel? If things are saying that SLI isn't enabled, well, that's probably why it works the same with one card as with two.

xquizit

My apologies, forgot to list my specs... and no I have no IDEA where to enable SLI in the Nvidia Control panel.

SPECS:

ASUS Crosshair III Formula
AMD Phenom X4 BE 965 C3
G.Skill Ripjaw 2x2GB DDR3 1600
SLI Gigabyte (B-models) GTX 470s
SeaSonic X-750
Corsair H50 (H100 just arrived)
2x Intel X25-V 40GB
Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Sony OptiArc optical drive

Yann_H

Processor AMD 1090T @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair IV Formula
Cooling Zalman CNPS 10Xtrem
Memory OCZ Platinum 4GB DDR3 1333 CL7
Video Card(s) 2 x Gygabite GTX 460 1 GB
Storage SSD OCZ Vertex
Display(s) Acer GD245HQ
Power Supply Thermaltake 750W
Software Windows 7 64bits Home Premium
Hello,

First thanks for your awesome work!
I think everything is configured well however I get lower/same FPS while using SLI mode than on a Single GPU. (Even if both are loaded and warm up during benches)
I have tried with integrated benchmark of F1 2011 and Dirt 3...
Do you have an explanation?

My config is :
AMD 1090T @ 4GHz
4GB DDR3
Asus Crosshair IV Formula
2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB at stock frequency.

Here is CPU-Z validation link : http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2086851

And HyperSLI Status indicate that "Hypervisor enabled" and "Hypervisor works properly"...

System Name Bigfoot
Processor Q6600@3.2Ghz
Motherboard P5Q Pro Turbo
Cooling Artic Cooling
Memory 4Gb GSkill DDR2 1066Mhz
Video Card(s) 2xGTX460 1Gb HyperSLI
Storage 3x500Gb
Display(s) 22'' LG/ 32'' LG
Case Nox Coolbay 25
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX-850W
Software Win7 64/XP 32
Hello,

First thanks for your awesome work!
I think everything is configured well however I get lower/same FPS while using SLI mode than on a Single GPU. (Even if both are loaded and warm up during benches)
I have tried with integrated benchmark of F1 2011 and Dirt 3...
Do you have an explanation?

My config is :
AMD 1090T @ 4GHz
4GB DDR3
Asus Crosshair IV Formula
2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB at stock frequency.

Here is CPU-Z validation link : http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2086851

And HyperSLI Status indicate that "Hypervisor enabled" and "Hypervisor works properly"...

What pci-e slots are you using?
Try pci-e slot 1 and 3 to get max performance, if you don't have an Sli brige that is long enough try with the 258.96 drivers so that you can enable Sli without the bridge and do some tests.