• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I am using my laptop with charger all the time. What would happen if I don't install Optimus at all?

JFMugen

My battery is dead, and I couldn't get a new one, and now I am using it like a desktop basically. Should I install Optimus at all? Or will it make harm more than good?

I would really appreciate an answer because I've been looking for a while but couldn't find a good answer.

Thank you :)

System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB G.Skill Ares OEM DDR4-3200 (B-die)
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage Adata SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
Software Windows 10, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
The question is kinda weird, but I'll try to answer as clear as I can.
It does not matter at all. You can stick to dGPU-only and your laptop will work just fine, if not more stable. Most nvidia cards do have built-in hardware encoders/decoders which means that if you are doing mundane tasks like watching YT or browsing - they'll be sitting at low-power mode anyways.
And if you are running Windows 10 with default GPU settings and everything behaves as expected - then it really-really doesn't matter. Windows 10 handles switching on its own, though on older versions there was a glitch where a laptop or PC would keep using iGPU even in games, regardless of power mode, but it's been fixed since 20H1... I think.

BTW, which laptop are you using?

JFMugen

The question is kinda weird, but I'll try to answer as clear as I can.
It does not matter at all. You can stick to dGPU-only and your laptop will work just fine, if not more stable. Most nvidia cards do have built-in hardware encoders/decoders which means that if you are doing mundane tasks like watching YT or browsing - they'll be sitting at low-power mode anyways.
And if you are running Windows 10 with default GPU settings and everything behaves as expected - then it really-really doesn't matter. Windows 10 handles switching on its own, though on older versions there was a glitch where a laptop or PC would keep using iGPU even in games, regardless of power mode, but it's been fixed since 20H1... I think.

BTW, which laptop are you using?

Actually I think I am having the performance I supposed to have, but I watched several "Disable Optimus" videos (for example this) and then I learned NVCleanstall (which has an option to not install optimus) and overall I was curious if it would help or if it is an essential thing. So far I always read it is useful for battery life, but it doesn't matter at all to me.

Do you think "Disable Optimus" thing would be helpful for me?

My laptop is a regional model, here.

System Name [Daily Driver -- Home Server]
Processor [Ryzen 5 5600X -- Intel i7-3770K]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS -- ASUS P8H61-I R2.0]
Memory [64GB G.Skill Ripjaws (16GBx4) -- 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws (4GBx2)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8 -- IGP]
Storage [2x 1TB WD SN850 NVMe , 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD -- Crucial BX500 2TB]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p -- SSH]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C -- Lian Li Mini-ITX]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RM 650 -- EVGA 550 B5]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro -- SSH]
Keyboard [Logitech G810 -- SSH]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit -- Ubuntu]
From googling (because I had no idea what you were talking about)

It makes no sense to disable optimus as the performance gain is negligible

System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB G.Skill Ares OEM DDR4-3200 (B-die)
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage Adata SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
Software Windows 10, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
The only reason these suggestions appeared on the net, is that back in a day Optimus wasn't as good and it used to gimp the overall gaming performance. Today it's not really an issue.
If it works and you are happy with it - just leave it as is.
BTW, your laptop is a rebranded Clevo N170RD. If you feel like it, you can find a relatively cheap battery(~$30-40). Part no. is N150BAT-6 (monster decided to put their own sticker, but I'm 99.9% sure it'll be a perfect fit).

JFMugen

The only reason these suggestions appeared on the net, is that back in a day Optimus wasn't as good and it used to gimp the overall gaming performance. Today it's not really an issue.
If it works and you are happy with it - just leave it as is.
BTW, your laptop is a rebranded Clevo N170RD. If you feel like it, you can find a relatively cheap battery(~$30-40). Part no. is N150BAT-6 (monster decided to put their own sticker, but I'm 99.9% sure it'll be a perfect fit).
I could've told you that, I forgot :) It is N170SD actually (tho I am not sure how different they are right now, probably same thing)

Sadly, even the cheap things start to become pretty expensive here lately (Turkey) thanks to corrupt gov. so I won't bother for now. I am not that mobile anyway right now so it is not a huge issue.

Overall I wasn't sure if I am happy with it but I guess I will leave it as it is. Thanks for the answers :)