• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I cant add gpu slot

chango

I cant add gpu slot, what i tried so far
1-install GPUs.txt from official website
2-update the drivers
3- configure > slot> add gpu

Attachments

• Log.txt
    6.7 KB · Views: 172
  • gpuinfo.JPG
    gpuinfo.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 376

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Hey @chango

Is this on a laptop by any chance??

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
It might be worth a quick check to see if it's compatible. Trying to run folding at home on a laptop is definitely going to put some strain on the laptops cooling... It might not be compatible, I'm not sure but it's definitely worth a check :)

chango

It might be worth a quick check to see if it's compatible. Trying to run folding at home on a laptop is definitely going to put some strain on the laptops cooling... It might not be compatible, I'm not sure but it's definitely worth a check :)
Its an old laptop that i dont use and i checked its in the whitelist

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
Are you able to get in to this option below?

1591601858051.png

Can you see a GPU in the selection already? I don't tend to fold on the CPU with FAH Folding so I take it out.

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
If it's not just simply working at this point @chango, I'd leave it be. The HD 5650 mobile GPU will be massively underpowered to run anything sadly and with the thermals and such of the GPU and it's in a laptop, it might not even finish the work units on time.

I've had a quick Google with the GPU and folding and from what I see or can tell that seems to be the best option. Some of the units I've had takes over 6 hours on my GTX 1070 or even 4 to 5 hours on my GTX 1080 Ti. I'd considering trying to give it something else to do if I'm honest :(

chango

If it's not just simply working at this point @chango, I'd leave it be. The HD 5650 mobile GPU will be massively underpowered to run anything sadly and with the thermals and such of the GPU and it's in a laptop, it might not even finish the work units on time.

I've had a quick Google with the GPU and folding and from what I see or can tell that seems to be the best option. Some of the units I've had takes over 6 hours on my GTX 1070 or even 4 to 5 hours on my GTX 1080 Ti. I'd considering trying to give it something else to do if I'm honest :(
i respect your opinion ,still if anyone else is aware of a solution i would appreciate it

phill

Staff member
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Corsair thingy
VR HMD No headset yet
No disrespect intended but I can only go by what I read online with the hardware you mention, I sadly don't have anything else I can go by.

It's one of the reasons I tend to only use my 1070 and 1080 Ti's because anything else would take too long as I only tend to run FAH when I have the sun out for the solar panels :laugh: I couldn't afford the electric otherwise as these things drink the stuff!!

Have you tried possibly an older version of the FAH program and also with the AMD Driver software at all?
Please do share some of the screen shots in the thread if possible, might help with someone finding a solution :)