1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I can't get my #!^$(*^ sound working!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wtf8269, Nov 28, 2005.

1. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look at this screen shot. Both my onboard sound and my pci sound card are installed. Yet I can't get sound with either one. I know there's a possibility of a conflict, but with either one disabled, the other will not work.:banghead:

Attached Files:

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. newmodder New Member

Thanks Received:
    no sound

first i would check the bios and see if the onboard is disabled, then try and change the irq..according to your pic the snd card is installed but in the sound properties it says no sound device installed...my guess is a IRQ conflict.try ununstalling your onboard sound drivers, i had to do the same thing my onboard sound is the ATI express 200, and it had a conflict with my audgly zs.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have had onboard disabled, but only when I'm trying to get the sound card working. I'll try uninstalling the onboard drivers.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well you've probably done this, but when you disable one or the other, go into sound properties and hit "Primary sound device" or Primary input device or whatever that tab is, and click on the PCI card. I really can't figure out why sound is SOOOO tempermental, I mean everything in this day and age is digital and works for you, but all sound (even digital) acts analog and only works when it wants.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well uninstalling onboard didn't help. AMDCam, are you talking about the "Sounds and Audio Devices" under control panel?

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    yes i bealive he is then you go into like "audio" and set up your deafault divice recording midi etc.....

10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It won't let me, all the drop down menu's are faded out.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    hmmm i had that problem......i solved it by installing drivers from the site and my buddy had the same problem but it was fine before i told him to restart his computer it did and windows auto installed it mkae sure its hooked up right its trivial but sometimes....uninstall all of the soundcard drivers (if it was installed before) hook the card up(id download the drivers before all this) turn the computer on see if it detecs it...then run your drivers and follow the instructions.....and no im saying no ones an idiot but my card did this too me for about a week and i was $#%^$%:shadedshu :mad:

10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  9. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alright I'll give that a shot.

Edit: That didn't fix it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
    10 Year Member at TPU
  10. AMDCam New Member

Thanks Received:
    Solaris kinda said it in that post but, did you uninstall the built-in drivers (the ones for the motherboard) instead of just the PCI ones?

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    I have only skim read what you have there mate, but try this;

In you BIOS disable the On-Board Sound Device and leave your sound card left in the PCI slot, connect all the relevant connections to the connection slots in the sound card on your PCI slot.

When you boot up your computer and go into the control panel, select "Sounds and Audio Devices", then select the "Audio" tab.

Make sure to set the "Sound playback" and "Sound recording" to the same device. Hit apply then you should be set to hear your sounds and music.

Also, what sound card are you using and what drivers are there?

If you still have trouble, I could setup a WinVNC (RealVNC) sever with you, a private one so I can try and sort it out on the fly, basically I could try to get your sound working while on my computer but working on yours. -- ONLY DO THIS IF YOU TRUST ME, I have never broke a promise in my life and I will never do so because I wouldn't live with myself... Though I will tell you now, I promise that nothing will be touched on your computer other than the primary goal for me to help sort out your sound, that will be it.

I would advise you to decline if you wasn't sure about the procedure and I am not making you do anything, all I want to do is help you out and hopefully get your sound working as it should :)

Good luck and hope you get it sorted out soon!

--Lee

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I've pretty much done both everything you and AMDCam have said. I can't change anything iunder the Audio tab because it's all greyed out. It's fine with me if you want to setup a server like that. I've done it before with other friends of mine. My AIM screen name is wtf8269 if you need to contact me beforehand. I just don't want to spend all night on it becuase I have an outline to type for a pursuasive essay for english sometime tonight. (Doing it on why the X1800 XT is a better buy than the 7800GTX. :laugh:)

PS. Don't start a flame just because I said that. They're both awesome cards and we all know that.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. Israar

Israar

Thanks Received:
    Hehe, sureo =)

As for the cards; personal preference mate =) -- Just glad you like the card non-the-less :)

Will contact you soon enough and will try to give you a hand!

--Lee

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Did you try not having the Karajan audio module pluged in. You don't need to have them on the board. Just incase there is a conflict.

-Dan

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. regg187 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had the same thing happen, get your cd for your MoBO and reinstal; your onboard sound drivers and prog and also your chipset drivers. restart , make sure your pci card is out and and enable your on board in the bios. when thats done then install your pci card normally

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I spent about an hour and a half on a VNC server with Israar and we went over most of the things suggested here. I put my Audigy into my CS:S server and it worked like a charm. That's with onboard sound drivers already installed on that server, and the onboard sound still enabled in the BIOS. *Sigh* I (probably with the help of somebody else) will figure it out eventually. Lol man I spent my entire break just getting this thing to work, haven't played games or even listened to music since Wednesday.

For now I'm going to take a nap then wake up at some point, install my printer drivers, install MS Office, then type my outline for English.:ohwell:

10 Year Member at TPU