1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I can't install windows

Discussion in 'General Software' started by theaust22, Nov 6, 2007.

1. theaust22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm trying to fix up one of my old computers so I repartioned the hard drive to reinstall windows. I can get passed the set up and all that, but than when it gets to copying files it won't let me. I tried tons of times and the same thing happens. Then I tried installing windows though a floppy disk, and then I get stuck on a screen saying something like "Analyzing Hardware..." I've been searching around google trying all the tricks out there and I can't seem to get windows to install. I think it may be a hardware problem, but I'm no computer technician hehe. Does anyone know whats going on here? Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Check and clean the CD your using or even try a different CD \ DVD player. Should clean CD with some thing solf like you get for digi camera 's and glasses all so clean them from inside out never around in circles.

Maybe check all IDE cables to hopefully.

Good Luck.

3. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    problems copying files during windows installation? happend to me, bad memory was cause. try trying memtest.

4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I had an ASUS 939 I just had a bout with and Windows stopped in the exact spot as well. Come to find out with my system it was the HDD. Something to do with the MBR or something , but when I hooked up another hardrive it worked fine all the way through.Also as pancho says ...it deffinately wont hurt to make sure the RAM is in good shape as well.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    It is usually bad "sectors" in the ram. I have had this happen on my laptop. Ram must be bad.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. theaust22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm running tests for the memory now, maybe that's the problem. It's not the cd because i tried a different version of windows as well. Also I checked the IDE cables and the one going to the floppy has a rip in it. The floppy still works though, so I don't know what's up with that. I'm waiting for tests to complete then I'm going to have another look. Thanks for the replies so far : )

7. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    try installing with only one stick of ram. Set the CPU and ram freq to default. All default. Try.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    you tried this memtest right? http://www.memtest.org/ i would say grab the bootable iso, burn, and test. make sure you go through all the tests without error. there are some options in there to specifcy which stick to test, etc. so make sure that your ram is clean.

9. theaust22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes pancho I ran that specific memory test from that site, and everything came up clean. I've tried all the helpful replies on this thread and still no luck. I'm leaning towards a Hard Disk problem. Anyone got any other thoughts? I appreciate the help : )