• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I give up.I need help.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Dude. The FX initially worked as he said on "initial boot and it got detected as an 8320" - Reading comprehension dude

Exactly, then he flashed to 1.70 and it appeared to be bricked immediately after restarting. You can't tell me that isn't coincidence because it's a dead giveaway of a bad flash. Not to say that he did it wrong but that it's possible for EEPROM programming to fail and it's recommended not to do it too often since it (like flash,) has limited write longevity.

My guess would be that the flash didn't fully work, in that case it's a defect with the BIOS chip which would require at least replacing the BIOS chip with one with a working version of the BIOS assuming the bad flash didn't do anything permanent.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Exactly, then he flashed to 1.70 and it appeared to be bricked immediately after restarting. You can't tell me that isn't coincidence because it's a dead giveaway of a bad flash. Not to say that he did it wrong but that it's possible for EEPROM programming to fail and it's recommended not to do it too often since it (like flash,) has limited write longevity.

My guess would be that the flash didn't fully work, in that case it's a defect with the BIOS chip which would require at least replacing the BIOS chip with one with a working version of the BIOS assuming the bad flash didn't do anything permanent.

NO he flashed when he had the athlon X4 in, I even seen that post

I flashed the bios around a month ago while i was using the athlon so i'm sure it ain't the bios. I got it off asrock's site.

I'm somewhat agreeing with dent with it not being a hardware problem. I better try and screw the default am3+ and use the stock heatsink. I dont have a budget yet to replace the mobo. :-(

System Name Machine XV
Processor Dual Xeon E5 2670 V3 Turbo unlocked
Motherboard Kllisre X99 Dual
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Display(s) 19" + 23" + 17"
Case ATX
Audio Device(s) XFi xtreme USB
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
If the board is not booting with the old x4 and one stick of ram then it's probibly dead it could have been something shorting or a card not in correctly could have even been the voltage regulators overheating and failing with the extra load. I think you should try and return the board or get a new one and hope both your processors work.

Shit just happens sometimes:banghead:

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
(...) it's possible for EEPROM programming to fail and it's recommended not to do it too often since it (like flash,) has limited write longevity.

EEPROM typically uses CMOS or NOR flash, and both have >100k p/e cycles of lifetime. Feel free to google it.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Check PSU and board for faults. I'd first look at PSU, AMD boards can be very picky with PSUs.

Toilet_pepper

Processor Athlon x4 640 @ 3.4
Motherboard AsRock 970 Extreme3
Cooling Cooler Master V8
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4GB x 2
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7950 Dual X Boost
Case Cooler Master Storm Scout
Power Supply FSP Aurum 750 Watts
Software Windows 8 64bit
This is getting a little bit tedious. I bought all my things at the same store. If I cant figure out today. I'm gonna bring my rig to the store and let them figure it out. ;-)

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
NO he flashed when he had the athlon X4 in, I even seen that post

Ah yeah, I was still going off that first post that made it sound like he flashed it with the PD chip.

So really the machine was just restarted and it never came back one day? It might not matter what the problem is, it very well may not be user correctable.

EEPROM typically uses CMOS or NOR flash, and both have >100k p/e cycles of lifetime. Feel free to google it.

Ah yeah, I was thinking EPROM, my bad. Doesn't mean that the BIOS chip can't go bad though.

Toilet_pepper

Processor Athlon x4 640 @ 3.4
Motherboard AsRock 970 Extreme3
Cooling Cooler Master V8
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4GB x 2
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD7950 Dual X Boost
Case Cooler Master Storm Scout
Power Supply FSP Aurum 750 Watts
Software Windows 8 64bit
Took it to the store. It is over the instant replacement warranty. They just turned it on and they said they'll replace it. Hope they replace it with rev 2 of the extreme 3.

Good thing I did not sell the athlon yet. I have a cheap biostar mobo that i could use. But it looks like windows 8 does not like it.