1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I Hate Cyber Mining

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by thebluebumblebee, Aug 30, 2017.

1. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Step right up folks. See what they've dug out of the back of the warehouse, from the pile that was set to be sent to the recyclers. (that's a Newegg USA e-mail special)
    [​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. MercJ

Thanks Received:
    I love cyber mining. Wait - Cyber Monday? I love cyber monday. Such deals. Mining? Too much dust, scared of being deep underground honestly.

What are we talking about? The price on a 7730? Who's in the market for one? I'm pretty confused actually...

*Edit: Still trying to get a Vega myself. Any Vega. Wanted to add one to my collection, but...I think it'll be months. Oh well. Might just wait for Volta by that point....

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    theoneandonlymrk and biffzinker say thanks.
  3. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    I think he's referring to the fact that e-tailers seem to be pulling cards out of their dumpsters to sell to miners - old , slow cards that would otherwise be scrapped for the tax writeoff.

rtwjunkie and biffzinker say thanks.
  4. dorsetknob

dorsetknob "YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"

Thanks Received:
    Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
    Etailers Grasping at Profitmaking Straws " would miners even consider these Cards"
    That i Seriously Doubt only 1Gb memory when its Rumoured current Cards with 3gb will soon be inadequate for Mining

Vario, theoneandonlymrk and biffzinker say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  5. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    No, miners would not be interested in this GPU, but they've created such a demand and dried up the supply of modern cards that the price on outdated GPU's is rising. This is a 2013 model!

Vario, biffzinker and dorsetknob say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    What does this have to do with mining? Theyve done this before it was cool to mine... through it, after it, and back again. :)

R-T-B says thanks.
  7. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    Crossfire support. Heck yea, crossfire a couple of those, you might match today's integrated graphics!

8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    R-T-B says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  9. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Could have just left it at a title .
    Starting to get a bit boring this minerhate.
    Personally i am still blaming the cash grabbing shops but then i actually bought a few cards not just window shopped.

SomeOne99h, EarthDog, R-T-B and 2 others say thanks.
  10. Papahyooie

Papahyooie

Thanks Received:
    Fair, but the 1050ti is in an entirely different class than a 7730. The 1050ti actually has a niche as a lower cost e-sports card for games like CS:GO and Overwatch that don't require a lot of grunt.

The 7730 probably has trouble decoding 4K video streams...

11. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Dude, you got a graphics card collection going? :cool: Do you just collect AMD or NVIDIA as well?

I've got various NVIDIA cards in my collection such as a 7950 GX2, 8800 GTS 320MB, 8800 GTX, 8800 Ultra, GTX 590 and several more. Check out my showdown thread, see my siggy.

MercJ, biffzinker and theoneandonlymrk say thanks.
  12. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    See most of mine are stuff i couldn't in good reason sell ie gtx4602win i just never could do that to someone, now I have got a few hd3870 hd 5850 gtx 280 ,3dfx vodoo and a few more, too many considering i wasn't collecting.

biffzinker and qubit say thanks.
  13. MercJ

Thanks Received:
    I just like technology, seeing the improvements and changes in capability... I find myself wishing I wouldn't have sold off most of my old graphics cards or CPUs to upgrade and try something new, it'd be fun to have something from each generation of hardware and just frame it when it isn't useful/worth anything any more :)

I collect both, I think I still have an AGP Radeon somewhere (not sure which one), then an HD3850 and 4830 (sold my 5850 as part of a Phenom X3 build :( but I still have the box!), sold my 6850 a while ago, along with a 7850 and 7870 last time mining prices got crazy, bought a R9 290 that finally died a few months ago...got into NVIDIA around Kepler, so I've got a GTX 660 and 760 sitting around (sold a 960 recently, have two 970s) as well as most of the 10 series.

And I finally got a Vega! I didn't really like what I paid for it (silver edition), but I'm keeping it forever so I suppose I'll get enough value out of it. I hope they use this reference design again on future cards, I really like the way it looks (gaming though...eh...just buy a GTX 1060 and overclock it).

14. Toothless

Toothless

Thanks Received:
    I can't wait for Cyber Mining Monday and Black Outlet Friday.

dorsetknob says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I regret getting rid of some of my older hardware I'd like to play with again. Trouble is it all takes up space and I don't have very much of it, so something has got to give.

That silver Vega you've got has a certain collectors value to it and will feel special in a few years, so don't feel bad at the high price you paid for it and hang on to it. I've still got a fully working HD 2900 Pro reference flashed to an XT. Crap performance, even for the time, but I love the look of it, complete with the suggestion of blazing fast performance that was never lived up to, so I kept it and I'm glad I did.

Check out my showdown thread in my siggy to see the kind of performance improvement we've had in a decade or so. A current GTX 1080 is about 12 times faster than an 8800 GTX from 2006 and even the tiddly lowest end GT 1030 has about double the performance, not to mention much more modern features and lower power consumption.

16. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    No miners would use that card.

That said, this thread was only a matter of time. Saddens me to see blatant "I hate" threads at TPU targeting others users tech activities.

There is already a Bitcoin version of Black Friday.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    10 Year Member at TPU
  17. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Here's a nice example. The 3 GB version is out of favor with mining, even though it's only ~6% slower than the 6 GB version.
    First up, the 3 GB:
    [​IMG]

How much for the 6 GB version? $105 more or 55% more!

[​IMG]

jaggerwild says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  18. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the market responds to demand. It's not ideal but it is what it is.

theoneandonlymrk and EarthDog say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  19. StrayKAT

StrayKAT

Thanks Received:
    I think if mining was a bit more predictable though, people would be less pissed. As it is, companies can't prepare for what miners will use or do, and the market gets blindsided at random because of it.

20. 9700 Pro

9700 Pro

Thanks Received:
    I just hope that this toy money craziness will end soon. People are selling used Radeon RX470/480/570/580 cards for example with insane prices here in Finland, because they know that some would buy those for mining toy money.

jaggerwild and hrp32 say thanks.
  21. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Toy money.... lol...

theoneandonlymrk says thanks.
  22. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    heres an option ($265 for 6Gb 1060) if the 6Gb one is something needed. Its the Short version, but just the same specs basically.

Sasqui says thanks.
  23. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    I swapped some toy money for this vega 64 im using at scan uk , people like you need to read as much as you can about crypto before it really re shapes your life, imho some Countries, are extremely wise to what they can gain financially from it, and will , most countries already owe China quite a lot of money already.

24. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    It's pretty predictable if you actaully bother to follow the market metrics.

The fact that some people still call it this speaks volumes as to market ignorance.

10 Year Member at TPU
  25. StrayKAT

StrayKAT

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure what metrics has to do with this. I'm saying it's unpredictable what tech they'll use. There isn't "mining specific" hardware until after it gets successful (like Bitcoin). No one predicted an Ethereum.. and no one predicted what hardware it'd favor the most. So the AMD market got blindsided.

Gamers now have to deal with an element of chaos that randomly gets thrown into the mix..at any given time. It's only human that they would get pissed. But I don't think they need to take it out on miners. Especially individual ones... who are kind of irrelevant anyways.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017