1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I have 6gb of ram but a 32-bit OS?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by 3volvedcombat, Oct 25, 2010.

1. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello guys, I just realized when i reinstalled XP home edition on my machine, it was 32-bit

Here is the situation.

[​IMG]

I have 6gb of ram, On a 32-bit OS, the OS only recognizes a measly 3.5gb of ram.
    Will I still get a performance Improvement keeping the ram in there?

Im pretty sure I wont be able to use the extra ram for anything, but I have 2.5gb of ram not even being commited to the OS?

So what should I do, is it even worth it to keep my 2x2gb samsung sticks in there?

2. JATownes

JATownes

Thanks Received:
    Get Win7 64-bit? Just a thought. Otherwise, from what I have seen, no the additional RAM is not benefiting you at all.

3. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    If you pull one stick it will run in dual channel. Not sure if that makes any negative diffierence. +1 to 64 bit OS if you have the need for 6 GB.

Edit: You are runing dual and it is DDR2 RAM. Just pull last stick and save the power.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    I pulled both, right now, Sense i have it on a bench station, a foot away from my hand, From what it looks like, I gotta to get that 64-bit 7 license from my boss :laugh: