• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I have an idéa for my case, but need some opinions

System Name Salvaged
Processor AMD Phenom II X6, 1055T
Motherboard MSI (cant remember model..)
Cooling Antec Kühler + extra fans (Antec, Zalman, Coolermaster, Generic brand)
Memory 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD6870
Storage Samsung 1TB, 320 Seagate, 250 Samsung
Display(s) LG Electronics
Case ANTEC Sonata III 500 (found/salvaged + modified)
Audio Device(s) 8Ch + Harman Kardon 2.1 (modified, electronics in JVC wood speakers)
Power Supply It's made in Denmark, never seen a PSU made there..
Software Win7 X64 Ultimate
Ok, so what I have done so far:
-Added AS5 to the graphics card.
-Cut a hole at the side panel (Dremel), and installed a 120 fan with a filter.

This is what I want to do:

Add two extra fans (already have them, two 80mm fans), under the graphics card.
Questions: Should they push air into the case, or should they pull air out?

The case, an Antec case (the one I'm currently using), doesn't have enough clearance right now, it's about 3 - 4mm. I have been looking at other "feet" for the case, and found some that ar 20mm in height. I was first thinking of getting four of them.. Then I thought - they are cheap, so why not get six instead?

Problem with the feet - plastic. There is a company here where I live that can actually manufacture (using either a CNC lathe or milling machine) a couple of feet for the case in a desired material. Ofcourse, I'll have to pay for both material and time, but if I can get a the feet made of say, aluminium, or stainless or similar - it would be better.
And I can even choose the diameter, the height, screw hole diameter and so on..

All opinions and "expert" help is welcome!

System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X AX
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
Benchmark Scores d1nky@hwbot.org
if i have fans underneath the gpu i have them feeding cool air,

pics would be a good idea

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
The age old question of push vs. pull... so many opinions. I do both push and pull.

Here's som general advice: Aside from the CPU and GPU needing a constant flow of cool air, one area that's often overlooked is air to the VRMs and North Bridge (if you have one) & South Bridge. A side panel fan blowing onto that hotspot on your motherboard is a good way to do that. It also ensures the CPU is getting fresh air.

On both of the Roswill cases I have, I reversed the top fan so it's blowing down onto that area.

System Name Main/DC
Processor i7-3770K/i7-2600K
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD55/GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14CS/H80
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) LP /4GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 660 Ti/MSI HD7770
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB/120GB Samsung 830 & Seagate 2TB(died)
Display(s) Asus 24' LED/Samsung SyncMaster B1940
Case P100/Antec P280 It's huge!
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply SeaSonic SS-660XP2/Seasonic SS-760XP2
Software Win 7 Home Premiun 64 Bit
80mm fans move a paltry amount of air. I'd expect the new feet for the case to cost about as much as a new case. This one, for example, moves a ton of air and is $85 after a MIR. It's also HUGE. The NZXT Source 210 is also a very good, inexpensive option.
I have an Antec Solo case which has a 120mm fan in the back and space for 2 92mm fans in front. The problem is that even 2 fast (loud) 92mm fans can not keep up with 1 120mm fan!

System Name Salvaged
Memory 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
Audio Device(s) 8Ch + Harman Kardon 2.1 (modified, electronics in JVC wood speakers)
Thanks everyone! Well I guess I can take some pictures of the case (inside).
The CPU is watercooled (AIO) and has a rather stable temperature with it's push/pull configuration. Regarding putting feet or something else beneath the case, I was even thinking of something like "rails", almost like the Coolermaster Cosmos. I am in no hurry what so ever, so even if it would be that I do not need more coolers, than I'll just modify something else on it.

Also, most of my fans (except CPU fan) run from their own 12v power source, I have even managed to salvage the temperature controllers from severeal PSUs and use them for some of my fan systems - remove the sensor and connect a pontentiometer and: Voilà, can control speed of the fan...

@thebluebumblebee Well since I have worked for the company that can manufacture new feet, so no - they will not be as expensive as a new case. However, I do have a 120mm fan blowing over the graphics card (side panel mounted), and with the new thermal paste the temps dropped a lot, mainly since I actually even had to clean it from dust I couldn't reach in the past.

@Sasqui I have more fans.. Even the RAM is getting cool air. It actually sucks in air from the front (still 120mm fans), and it has a 120mm fan in the "middle", just to give the rest of the fans in the AIO with their push/pull configuration a very good temperature. But yes, I have to clean it from dust rather often.
But I guess like the rest say - a picture is more than a thousand words.

@d1nky I'll fix the photos of the case as fast as I can.

Thanks again everyone for the replies!

Updated with pictures as requested
Ok, the fans marked in red, are the ones currently installed and running on their own power source, they will even function when the system itself is turned off.

Maybe it is somewhat overkill to add extra fans at the bottom, when I switch on the fan that rests just behind the graphics card (this fan has adjustable speed), it never reaches the 70°C. It did however earlier, before the 120mm fan at the side panel, before putting on new thermal paste... So perhaps if adding two extra 80mm fans, or one 120mm fan at the bottom it would be too much?

Attachments

• Case front fan.jpg
    Case front fan.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 335
  • Case internal.jpg
    Case internal.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Better of as intake applying filters can be annoying

I see this, and sorry for my words: that case is a mess inside. I would do this: move those HDD somewhere to the top of the box (CD-ROM cage, p.e.) out of the way of good airflow.

Remove all those crazy fans inside and install 1 or 2 good fans on the lower part of the front panel, maybe dremelling. Goal 1 must be to create a good airflow, not allocating hard drives! As the CPU is water cooled, the fresh airflow must flow strongly and directly to the GPU. Everything else is secondary.

Considering the price of midi cases, maybe just dump this Antec abjection and buy a modern case for littel money?

Edit: 2 (lowspeed) front fans and 2 rear (or top) fans shoudl be enough to create the nicest airflow if no obstacles are in between!

System Name Salvaged
Memory 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
I see this, and sorry for my words: that case is a mess inside. I would do this: move those HDD somewhere to the top of the box (CD-ROM cage, p.e.) out of the way of good airflow.

Remove all those crazy fans inside and install 1 or 2 good fans on the lower part of the front panel, maybe dremelling. Goal 1 must be to create a good airflow, not allocating hard drives! As the CPU is water cooled, the fresh airflow must flow strongly and directly to the GPU. Everything else is secondary.

Considering the price of midi cases, maybe just dump this Antec abjection and buy a modern case for littel money?

Edit: 2 (lowspeed) front fans and 2 rear (or top) fans shoudl be enough to create the nicest airflow if no obstacles are in between!

Yeah, I hear you.. Sadly enough - not enough cash right now (unemployed :mad: )
But I do want cable management.. Easier than said, the right hand side panel is rivited to the top. The cables at the bottom, never mind them, they are there just temporarily.

The two HDDs you see, they are just for backup, the master disk is always cooled. This case was salvaged/found, so no parts to place the two extra disks anywhere else (unless I create something to hold them in place?).

Temperatures? Well as we speak, CPU 27°C, GPU 44°C (Instead of the 50+ earlier).
But yeah, cable management would be nice, I even bought me around 20 or more zip ties, some heat shrinking tube and some other stuff. Just been searching a new job, and I will most likely need to move again soon.

Oh well, thanks anyway. All advice is good advice!

Well, my friend, if you have no heat problems, why all those fans (installed and suggested to be installed) ?
Maybe "don't fix it if it is not broken"?

I was not referring to your cable management! But maybe you can remove some fans and sell them, less noise, less electricity bills.

System Name Salvaged
Memory 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
Well, my friend, if you have no heat problems, why all those fans (installed and suggested to be installed) ?
Maybe "don't fix it if it is not broken"?

I was not referring to your cable management! But maybe you can remove some fans and sell them, less noise, less electricity bills.

I don't know.. I have this obsession to build, to create, to work with my hands.
The last few months, I haven't even played any games, just repairing stuff, building stuff.
Maybe it's just me...

System Name Zotan
Processor i9-10850K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X AX
Cooling H100
Memory 32GB Viper 3200
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080
Case Airflow 275R
Power Supply RMX850
Benchmark Scores d1nky@hwbot.org
I don't know.. I have this obsession to build, to create, to work with my hands.
The last few months, I haven't even played any games, just repairing stuff, building stuff.
Maybe it's just me...

im obsessed with trying to get everything stable and havent gamed in a while lol think we all go through phases as we get bored with one thing we do another.

my thoughts

1.cable management
2.mod the case, drill some more holes in the bottom for fan mounting and airflow directly under gpu not next to it.
3. put all hdds next to each other in either compartment, free up said bay for fan mounting
4. maybe put the AIO sink in the the drive bay bringing air into case and use 120mm for exhaust
5.cable management :p

System Name Salvaged
Memory 8Gb (2 x 4Gb)
im obsessed with trying to get everything stable and havent gamed in a while lol think we all go through phases as we get bored with one thing we do another.

my thoughts

1.cable management
2.mod the case, drill some more holes in the bottom for fan mounting and airflow directly under gpu not next to it.
3. put all hdds next to each other in either compartment, free up said bay for fan mounting
4. maybe put the AIO sink in the the drive bay bringing air into case and use 120mm for exhaust
5.cable management :p

I hear that cable management would be good for the system (I don't disagree), however, nothing that is actually obstructing the airflow, the graphics card never goes over 70°C.
But I do want better cable management - I just don't think it's possible with such an old case as this one..

...But stubborn as I am, I'll give it a try!

Ok, I have managed with some "cable management", cleaned all fans including PSU.. System can't get any cooler than this. GPU is working at 47% and the fan is holding the temp at 44Celcius. Even CPU is cooler now..
But I'm still going to make me some feet!!!

Last edited: