• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I just switched to Linux Mint (latest beta release) I AM FREAKING IN LOVE!!! TAKE CARE WINDOWS 10 and 11 LMAO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
So first impressions so far today... it's smooth!!! So smooth! It's very user friendly... I have already installed Steam with two clicks, updated all my drivers from the welcome window that pops up on first install, installed proprietary Nvidia driver, got gsync working.

Steam has an awesome feature that only loads automatically compatible Linux games in your library, so I don't have to sift through the store page for each game to see if it is compatible... got two games going so far and no issues at all.

Got firefox all set up as well, 0 issues... honestly... I really see no need for Windows anymore, I already prefer Libreoffice (even when I had windows) and Libreoffice is default on Linux, and it works fantastic.

For a basic user who just browses the web (mostly TPU) and plays older games and indie games... there is seriously no reason to even have Windows anymore. I tried Ubuntu earlier in the year and it felt a little laggy from time to time, but this latest Linux Mint release feels perfect. It's been a seamless transition for me.

It feels good to finally be free. :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling Xigmatek LOKI SD963 double-Fan
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6700XT Power Color Fighter 12gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3189,Cinebench R20=3791.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
Good Luck...I enjoy using the Linux on my weaker machines tho' I still keep using the win on my main RIG the only thing that keeps switching me totally are gaming and some apps that are still Win/only....

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Good Luck...I enjoy to use the Linux on my weaker machines tho' I still keep using the win on my main RIG the only thing that keeps switching me totally are gaming and some apps that are still Win/only....

I honestly can't tell the difference... like I said Ubtuntu was laggy for me earlier this year, but latest beta of Linux Mint feels just as snappy and smooth to use as Windows. 0 issues which surprises me since its beta... keep in mind I am a VERY VERY basic user. I do some light gaming on steam, browse web, and sometimes use libreoffice word document to type something up. /shrug

for heavy users windows is def needed, or for users who want the latest games and features. but my backlog is so vast... I could literally stay here on Mint forever.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Welcome to the fold!

15 years after my last true dive into Linux, I've got Mint installed on one of my crunchers as a toe dipped back in the water. It was a pretty good experience, but one of the things I missed right away was the Windows-based monitoring software like HWINFO64. Which is funny to me, because that's the kind of thing a one-person team can gin up (granted, Windows doesn't have the umpteen variations Linux does, and HWINFO's been developed and refined over very long period). In any event, it's disappointing to not have robust real-time GUI monitors for temps and fans.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Welcome to the fold!

15 years after my last true dive into Linux, I've got Mint installed on one of my crunchers as a toe dipped back in the water. It was a pretty good experience, but one of the things I missed right away was the Windows-based monitoring software like HWINFO64. Which is funny to me, because that's the kind of thing a one-person team can gin up (granted, Windows doesn't have the umpteen variations Linux does, and HWINFO's been developed and refined over very long period). In any event, it's disappointing to not have robust real-time GUI monitors for temps and fans.

I understand missing that software 100%!!! However, since my current cooling solution is very much overkill... I really am also kind of glad I no longer have that software, I was spending too much time double checking it for no reason at all. Just became a weird habit. So it is kind of freeing to be rid of it for my personal situation.

Edit: you should give the latest linux mint beta a try... it's freaking awesome!!!! it's so smooth I can't believe it and user friendly... I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO COMMAND PROMPTS (not really anyway)... so being able to use Linux so easily really is impressive...

Low quality post by Nash
Processor Intel I9 7940X
Motherboard Asus Strix Rog Gaming E X299
Cooling Xigmatek LOKI SD963 double-Fan
Memory 64Gb DDR4 2666Mhz
Video Card(s) 1)RX 6700XT Power Color Fighter 12gb***2)MATROX M9120LP
Storage 2 x ssd-Kingston 240Gb A400 in RAID 0+ HDD 500Gb +Samsung 128gbSSD +SSD Kinston 480Gb
Display(s) BenQ 28"EL2870U(4K-HDR) / Acer 24"(1080P) / Eizo 2336W(1080p) / 2x Eizo 19"(1280x1024)
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) Realtek/Creative T20 Speakers
Power Supply F S P Hyper S 700W
Mouse Asus TUF-GAMING M3
Keyboard Func FUNC-KB-460/Mechanical Keyboard
VR HMD Oculus Rift DK2
Software Win 11
Benchmark Scores Fire Strike=23905,Cinebench R15=3189,Cinebench R20=3791.Passmark=30689,Geekbench4=32885
Nice to hear that......sure Linux have many different distros some of them works better then others...also really depends of yours pesonal preference and the hardware you are using....I recently played with the Knoppix it's debian based system that can fully work from the USB stick and it's really friendly for the weak and old machines....few years ago friend gave it to me some old Nokia 3g booklet that was ready for the garbage hdd was broken and it was really not worth investing anything in that thing and here comes the savior Knoppix system that runs fine on this machine that have only 1gb ddr2 and 2 weak(atom) cores on 1,6 Ghz....Later on I modded this system a bit so that I can use it like a perfect Old school Emulator for the ZX Spectrum,Atari ST,NES....since then I keep using it almost daily without any problems what so ever..

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Alan is world famous musician. Certain "Beatles" song discussions prompt others to notify everyone
ALAN PARSONS WORKED FOR THE BEATLES "hth's"!!!!

Sound familiar?

well these are Linux forums, and I am sick of M$'s crap, so I decided to switch and share my experience... on the linux forums... not sure what you are implying but eh.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Not sure what the newest beta is but I'm on 20.1 mint cinnamon

There is no implication, it is a fact that linxuts invade and derail, mock, harangue users, and talk shit about Windows, the corporation, it's founder and every huge or inconsequential thing they can drag up in Windows discussions.
Seems the pot is calling the kettle black lol

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I get to use Linux in work a bit, that'll do for me, however if it suits you and your good then it's all good.

I too have too much legacy software to switch but I wouldn't anyway, I Have to use Windows PCS all day in work, and due to being a pc power user / builder / repairer on the side, Learning new tech and software is to my benefit especially since wherever I have worked I always, always knew more than anyone besides the IT department.
I am shit on servers but know my limits.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I get to use Linux in work a bit, that'll do for me, however if it suits you and your good then it's all good.

I too have too much legacy software to switch but I wouldn't anyway, I Have to use Windows PCS all day in work, and due to being a pc power user / builder / repairer on the side, Learning new tech and software is to my benefit especially since wherever I have worked I always, always knew more than anyone besides the IT department.
I am shit on servers but know my limits.

everyone's situation is different! it's not a big deal, doesn't mean I can't have fun with it though. :rockout: I'm just really enjoying this switch more than I was expecting. I tried linux in past years and I just could never really get into it, was never smooth or user friendly, or steam would mess up on me, etc.

this latest beta release for linux mint though is rock solid stable so far. im really liking it.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Hyper 212
Memory 2x 16g ddr4 3200mz
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Storage 5.5 tb hd 220 g ssd
Display(s) Normal moniter
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
I would love to use linux
but none of my games support it and or proton so thats a no for the gaming pc
and none of my older machines play nice with it with constant crashes
and as for stability under windows None of my 3 computers have bsod this year
so i have to stick to windows

For the person who want's hardware sensors Psensor here, there are at least 10 others.

Install psensor,

# wget http://wpitchoune.net/psensor/files/psensor-1.1.3.tar.gz
# tar zxvf psensor-1.1.3.tar.gz
# cd psensor-1.1.3/
# ./configure
# make
# make install

Requires
# apt-get install lm-sensors hddtemp

1624659922830.png

Plot-Graphs-of-Hardware-Temperature.png

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
everyone's situation is different! it's not a big deal, doesn't mean I can't have fun with it though. :rockout: I'm just really enjoying this switch more than I was expecting. I tried linux in past years and I just could never really get into it, was never smooth or user friendly, or steam would mess up on me, etc.

this latest beta release for linux mint though is rock solid stable so far. im really liking it.
I have given it a go many times and will many more, messing abouts half the fun :)
I really liked Steam OS but having a rig and it became pointless, especially since I got the gaming laptop, I like to keep one system working at least while the other is in between things.
I use Ubuntu in work, Mint is a better OS IMHO though.

Last edited:
System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
Honestly it's kinda odd neither of my 2 low end machines can do 3d under Linux without crashing it takes about a year to boot and I runs at snail pace win 7 and 10 treats the hardware a lot better

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃B550-I Strix
Cooling PA120+T30┃AXP120x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lone Industries L5
Power Supply Corsair HX1000┃HDPlex
So first impressions so far today... it's smooth!!! So smooth! It's very user friendly... I have already installed Steam with two clicks, updated all my drivers from the welcome window that pops up on first install, installed proprietary Nvidia driver, got gsync working.

Steam has an awesome feature that only loads automatically compatible Linux games in your library, so I don't have to sift through the store page for each game to see if it is compatible... got two games going so far and no issues at all.

Got firefox all set up as well, 0 issues... honestly... I really see no need for Windows anymore, I already prefer Libreoffice (even when I had windows) and Libreoffice is default on Linux, and it works fantastic.

For a basic user who just browses the web (mostly TPU) and plays older games and indie games... there is seriously no reason to even have Windows anymore. I tried Ubuntu earlier in the year and it felt a little laggy from time to time, but this latest Linux Mint release feels perfect. It's been a seamless transition for me.

It feels good to finally be free. :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :toast: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

a lil dramatic lol but I understand the feeling

I ran my XPS 9370 on Kubuntu 20.04 for a while, really changed my "Linux is bland, ugly and made for cheap hardware" perspective. With some themes, it's easily the most beautiful OS I've ever used. Also was the only distro to handle hiDPI scaling properly and smoothly on the 9370 display.

Unfortunately, I had to go back to Windows because Libreoffice Calc is absolute garbage compared to Excel (needed to run VBA macros). Also, 9370 cooling is caca so it was really a struggle trying to get the undervolting script running automatically on boot every time. Oh how I missed Throttlestop during my time on Linux. But now that I don't need office on laptop and I'm down to 256GB again, I might go back to Kubuntu or make a pit stop on Mint first.

I'd never migrate my desktops over, though. There is no Linux equivalent that offers HWInfo things like Effective Clock, snapshot polling, per-core Ryzen temps. That, and basically half the performance on Ryzen nowadays comes from the CPPC2/Windows scheduler integration, so.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
a lil dramatic lol but I understand the feeling

I ran my XPS 9370 on Kubuntu 20.04 for a while, really changed my "Linux is bland, ugly and made for cheap hardware" perspective. With some themes, it's easily the most beautiful OS I've ever used. Also was the only distro to handle hiDPI scaling properly and smoothly on the 9370 display.

Unfortunately, I had to go back to Windows because Libreoffice Calc is absolute garbage compared to Excel (needed to run VBA macros). Also, 9370 cooling is caca so it was really a struggle trying to get the undervolting script running automatically on boot every time. Oh how I missed Throttlestop during my time on Linux. But now that I don't need office on laptop and I'm down to 256GB again, I might go back to Kubuntu or make a pit stop on Mint first.

I'd never migrate my desktops over, though. There is no Linux equivalent that offers HWInfo things like Effective Clock, snapshot polling, per-core Ryzen temps. That, and basically half the performance on Ryzen nowadays comes from the CPPC2/Windows scheduler integration, so.

yeah like i said im a very basic user, so i only use libre writer. etc. its the best switch i have ever made for my personal use case :toast:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix

Also know that you should enable Proton in Steam so that you can play Windows only titles on Linux. Works great for like 99% of the games out there.

System Name Office
Processor Ryzen 5600G
Motherboard ASUS B450M-A II
Cooling be quiet! Shadow Rock LP
Memory 16GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RX 5600 XT
Storage PNY CS1030 250GB, Crucial MX500 2TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Fractal Define 7 Compact
Power Supply EVGA 550 G3
Mouse Logitech M705 Marthon
Keyboard Logitech G410
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H2
That may take a few trips to configure the way you prefer, there are load of other monitor apps. Raspberry for PI autoloaded a few sensors in the taskbar on start, that one would float, move, kill. I never checked out re-configuring it, but it was handy for overclocking the Pi.

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Also know that you should enable Proton in Steam so that you can play Windows only titles on Linux. Works great for like 99% of the games out there.

its just a toggle within steam itself??? i figured i had to know coding and stuff to get that working properly... if its just a toggle heck yeah I will give it a go! thanks! I'll look around steam settings tonight and see if I can spot it. do I need to download something first? or its already built into steam when i downloaded steam to begin with?

Idk why you talking about it supports about 20 percent of my Steam library

even a few extra is ok by me. how do you know which ones it supports and doesn't support? will there be a little tag to let me know "don't install this game, its not optimized for proton"?

System Name Chip
Processor Amd 5600X
Cooling Hyper 212
Video Card(s) RX 6700
Case something cheap
VR HMD Vive
optimized
You can click the little tux in the top left corner and anything not optimised for proton won't install

D

Deleted member 202104

its just a toggle within steam itself??? i figured i had to know coding and stuff to get that working properly... if its just a toggle heck yeah I will give it a go! thanks! I'll look around steam settings tonight and see if I can spot it. do I need to download something first? or its already built into steam when i downloaded steam to begin with?

even a few extra is ok by me. how do you know which ones it supports and doesn't support? will there be a little tag to let me know "don't install this game, its not optimized for proton"?

Enable the top option (as shown) to use Proton on the Windows games tested and certified by Steam to run. Chose the second box to enable for all Windows games that may, or may not, work. Last game I played and finished (CloudPunk) was a Windows only game and I played from start to finish in Linux.

Steam.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.