• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I need help in job decision...

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X570
Cooling Water
Memory 32GB GSkill CL16 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 2 x AData XPG 8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum
System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Oh yea, bennies, gotta have me some

System Name BorgX79
Processor i7-3930k 6/12cores@4.4GHz
Motherboard Sabertoothx79
Cooling Capitan 360
Memory Muhskin DDR3-1866
Video Card(s) Sapphire R480 8GB
Storage Chronos SSD
Display(s) 3x VW266H
Case Ching Mien 600
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Cooler Master 1000W Silent Pro
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Rosewill RK-1000
Software Win7x64
I'd do what you do, stay with the big company as long as it lasts, because eventually they 'll get rid of you.

Develop your skills while you're not stressed, and when they push you toward the door run, and enjoy the next place.

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
Thank you guys, you rock

I live in Uruguay, south America...
Things are very similar in UK and USA, with some exceptions.

Its mandatory for any company, no matter if its private or state, to pay for your social security (for retirement) and health. state company no longer give benefits as they did before. The "party" is over.
The "big company" I'm working now also includes Blue Cross and Blue Shield for every worker, but I haven't been accepted in Blue Cross, because of high blood pressure. So I got the regular health care instead. I was hoping to be accepted as I suffer from major depressive disorder and the regular health care has been very basic in the past 5 years of treatment.

I'm afraid that my numbers are a bit on the red. Inflation skyrocketed in the past few years, and now I'm selling all my stuff, like guitars, effect pedals, amplifiers, and some synthesizers. I will only keep my main synth and one electric guitar and that's it, everything will have to go. I also have 2 laptops, one will have to go.

I think I will stay where I am for now, and in the meanwhile I will code some .net applications... I will need ideas, because I don't really know what kind of app could be useful. Maybe I should open another thread to listen to your ideas guys.

Thank you

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
I think I will stay where I am for now, and in the meanwhile I will code some .net applications... I will need ideas, because I don't really know what kind of app could be useful. Maybe I should open another thread to listen to your ideas guys.

If you are just doing it to keep you skills up, write your own versions of apps you use every day. One thing that is always useful, is project management software.

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Motherboard MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + Second Fan
Memory G.Skill 64GB @3200MHz XMP
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix RTX 3090 24GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus; 2TB Corsair Force MP600; 2TB Samsung PM981a
Display(s) Dell U4320Q; LG 43MU79-B
Case Corsair A540
Audio Device(s) Creative Lab SoundBlaster ZX-R
Power Supply EVGA G2 1300
Mouse Logitech MK550
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum XT Brown Switches
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 - 6910; FireStrike Ultra - 13241; TimeSpy Extreme - 10067; Port Royal - 13855
Interesting, as almost everyone recommends you to stay at your current job. As an employer, and previously managing small to mid-size dev teams, if you have been passed over consistently and left in the talent pool, I think you could be canned very soon - on your way out. Seriously, have you talked to your manager? Are you worried of not "rocking the boat?" You really should talk to your manager or team lead.

Think about this in terms of a basketball team or any team sports. If the coach always calls your number last, or never even call your number, do you think you will stick around much longer? That means you are expandable. For whatever reason when the team lead or Project Manager picked his or her team, and you are always being passed over, there must a reason, no? What would your manager think of you? He or she must think - why would every PM or team lead passed on you? There must be something wrong or skill deficiency in you.

I don't know if I would recommend you to take the job from the utility company. I would think it would offer more of a job security.

As for the .NET learning, join the .NET Foundation. Poke around github, but more importantly, learn or improve your .NET Core skills. For anyone on the .NET platform, Core is the future. Sign up Pluralsight (free for 30 days). There are tons of .NET Core courses there. Good luck!

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Thank you guys, you rock

I live in Uruguay, south America...
Things are very similar in UK and USA, with some exceptions.

Its mandatory for any company, no matter if its private or state, to pay for your social security (for retirement) and health. state company no longer give benefits as they did before. The "party" is over.
The "big company" I'm working now also includes Blue Cross and Blue Shield for every worker, but I haven't been accepted in Blue Cross, because of high blood pressure. So I got the regular health care instead. I was hoping to be accepted as I suffer from major depressive disorder and the regular health care has been very basic in the past 5 years of treatment.

I'm afraid that my numbers are a bit on the red. Inflation skyrocketed in the past few years, and now I'm selling all my stuff, like guitars, effect pedals, amplifiers, and some synthesizers. I will only keep my main synth and one electric guitar and that's it, everything will have to go. I also have 2 laptops, one will have to go.

Thank you
Off topic slightly but references to some of these things have been made...…… I never thought I would find myself saying this but it makes me realise how lucky we are (most of the time) in the UK, my last job before I retired in April of this year gave me 30 days annual holiday per year, on top of that I could buy an extra 5 if I wanted it (I did :)), it is employment law that every employer must offer what is now called over here a "stakeholder pension" where both the employer and employee have % of salary minimum contributions, I also got for free £250,000 life cover, sick pay was 100% of salary for 6 months, 50% of salary for 6 months thereafter, we have the national health service for everything medical from seeing a Doctor for the Flu to Cancer treatment and everything in between, all completely free (well apart from taxes), not perfect after 10 years of under spending because of global recession and on top of that we get a state pension, now at age of 66 for both men and women (15 years ago women got theirs at 60, men at 65), the downside to all of this is taxation and more taxation and the fact that social care has declined so if you are ever at the point where you cannot look after yourself anymore and need to be in supported housing in old age then the government can take your home to pay for it.

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
@Thefumigator This is highly dependent on your personality and what you want to do. If you absolutely need to do something (like me), you can try starting a hobby project while parked in the talent pool. That way you'll be both learning and getting the higher paycheck. If you must do things and can't get a hobby project off the ground, then switch.
Either way, imagine where you want to be in 3-5 years and then figure out which path gets you there ;)

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
My wife is a .net developer. She hates programming but everyone from India and their dog took programming as a career. The pay up here in Canada sucks big time for them. She used to be a teacher but did .net instead.

So if you like it, stick with what you got. You are lucky to have a job that pays you well and you do jack all. I lost interest in my job and I just do same routine every day for the last 11 years. Its terrible but it pays for the roof over my and wifes head.

You wont be rich working for someone else. While you are doing what you do, why not make applications on the side and start your own business in something? Then you can hire me and pay me good to be your spokesperson for the company. Cause I am handsome (at least what my mom tells me).

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
My wife is a .net developer. She hates programming but everyone from India and their dog took programming as a career. The pay up here in Canada sucks big time for them. She used to be a teacher but did .net instead.

So if you like it, stick with what you got. You are lucky to have a job that pays you well and you do jack all. I lost interest in my job and I just do same routine every day for the last 11 years. Its terrible but it pays for the roof over my and wifes head.

You wont be rich working for someone else. While you are doing what you do, why not make applications on the side and start your own business in something? Then you can hire me and pay me good to be your spokesperson for the company. Cause I am handsome (at least what my mom tells me).

I am pretty sure even Freddy Krueger's mum thought he was handsome at some point :D In my experience Mum's are not an endorsement, I mean my Mother in Law even thinks my wife is beautiful :)

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
I am pretty sure even Freddy Krueger's mum thought he was handsome at some point :D In my experience Mum's are not an endorsement, I mean my Mother in Law even thinks my wife is beautiful :)
Lol

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I'm in a similar boat.

I find myself wanting to progress in the company I'm in but with the pay being so low and no chance of it changing any time soon, I will have to find else where to work because I can't support my family well enough and to me this is unacceptable. They won't do anything but having taken on other peoples jobs that had been made redundant their jobs now fall on my shoulders, so I'm still on the base wage I was when I started two years ago and doing more and more and moving up the chain and I can't afford to live. I can't deal with their false promises or care too much to a degree about what they are promising me to do in the future or in six months, I can't wait that long.

I've been speaking to the head of IT today about it (among other times) and he understands the issues but can't do anything. So now I'm on the look out for something else and I'm hoping to take a jump and get further up the ladder. It's what I'd like to do anyways, so I don't mind the jump I just hope someone will give me that chance to show what I can do.

System Name Epsilon
Cooling Stock
Case Generic
Software Windows 10
Interesting, as almost everyone recommends you to stay at your current job. As an employer, and previously managing small to mid-size dev teams, if you have been passed over consistently and left in the talent pool, I think you could be canned very soon - on your way out. Seriously, have you talked to your manager? Are you worried of not "rocking the boat?" You really should talk to your manager or team lead.

Think about this in terms of a basketball team or any team sports. If the coach always calls your number last, or never even call your number, do you think you will stick around much longer? That means you are expandable. For whatever reason when the team lead or Project Manager picked his or her team, and you are always being passed over, there must a reason, no? What would your manager think of you? He or she must think - why would every PM or team lead passed on you? There must be something wrong or skill deficiency in you.

I don't know if I would recommend you to take the job from the utility company. I would think it would offer more of a job security.

As for the .NET learning, join the .NET Foundation. Poke around github, but more importantly, learn or improve your .NET Core skills. For anyone on the .NET platform, Core is the future. Sign up Pluralsight (free for 30 days). There are tons of .NET Core courses there. Good luck!

Thanks for the point of view. In this "big company" there are many teams, so there are many Managers, leaders and directors for each team. There is a team assigned for each project, and when they hired me, I did a technical test which was long as hell, like 2 hrs and half, and they set me as a "Semi Senior Advance .net developer". Which is OK, considering my weakness are t-sql queries.

There's something I didn't tell, but it is important. After being hired I spent half a week in the talent pool, and then they called me to join a team. One of the guys was leaving after 4 years in the company so they thought I could be filling that hole. It was so so at the beginning, but I didn't like it, it was nothing to do with .net development. It was more like "application support" so I had to learn how the applications worked in order to give support for them.

I was always in touch with my team mates and I asked them many things about the applications but even tho they tried hard, they weren't able to help me much, they were not familiar with the task I was doing. So the team was broken, the project was too fragmented.

Also my PM was a complete a**hole, He treated everybody as junk. And I couldn't stand him. 3 or 4 weeks later he traveled to the US to visit the customer. And the customer complained about many things about my team mates and, of course, about me. "He is not like the other guy" the other guy had 4 years of experience. So my PM sent me a threat, won't telling the details, but I had a panic attack. I resisted the whole day anyway, trying to dissimulate, and when I went home I thought about it a long time... I made myself up and wrote my resignation letter.

But guess what. My mentor, the People Director and my Team Director didn't accepted my resignation. They asked me why I was quitting, I showed them the threat my PM sent me. I told them, this is substandard, you cannot treat anyone like this. No matter how bad you perform, you just can't threat a person. This is not acceptable. "Have you ever looked to the other IT companies around you?"

They were astonished. So they told me to take some days off to relieve my pain after the panic attack, and they supported me, they told me "look, we are going to fix this, let us fix this and we will find another project for you, but please, don't quit, give us another chance."

I was like "OK"... later on I receive a message from my PM with his apologies, which I accepted.

So, while being in the talent pool, I had a few interviews, one from a Team Director that needed someone familiar with Azure Analysis Services, and SharePoint. I was so sorry but I have no idea of those technologies. The other interview was from another TD that needed someone with knownledge in WPF, I was almost there, almost there... I'm familiar with WPF but far from being a mastermind.
My mentor told me he was like 4 months in the talent pool. That I shall not worry much about it....

@Thefumigator This is highly dependent on your personality and what you want to do. If you absolutely need to do something (like me), you can try starting a hobby project while parked in the talent pool. That way you'll be both learning and getting the higher paycheck. If you must do things and can't get a hobby project off the ground, then switch.
Either way, imagine where you want to be in 3-5 years and then figure out which path gets you there ;)

Most likely I will make applications in .net... Visual Studio is free. Also comes with Xamarin which is not very mature but good enough for android/ios small applications.

You are hired as spokeperson for my company. 'Cause I'm more like the silent type.

I'm in a similar boat.

I find myself wanting to progress in the company I'm in but with the pay being so low and no chance of it changing any time soon, I will have to find else where to work because I can't support my family well enough and to me this is unacceptable.

Man, I swear, that if I ever get rich by doing my own business you'll be the first one to be hired and get into my boat. I swear that If I ever have such luck, you and your family would never have to worry about anything again. I swear. Resist.

EDIT: anyone in difficulties will be on my boat.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
Man, I swear, that if I ever get rich by doing my own business you'll be the first one to be hired and get into my boat. I swear that If I ever have such luck, you and your family would never have to worry about anything again. I swear. Resist.

EDIT: anyone in difficulties will be on my boat.

Thank you sir :)

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I'm in a similar boat.

I find myself wanting to progress in the company I'm in but with the pay being so low and no chance of it changing any time soon, I will have to find else where to work because I can't support my family well enough and to me this is unacceptable. They won't do anything but having taken on other peoples jobs that had been made redundant their jobs now fall on my shoulders, so I'm still on the base wage I was when I started two years ago and doing more and more and moving up the chain and I can't afford to live. I can't deal with their false promises or care too much to a degree about what they are promising me to do in the future or in six months, I can't wait that long.

I've been speaking to the head of IT today about it (among other times) and he understands the issues but can't do anything. So now I'm on the look out for something else and I'm hoping to take a jump and get further up the ladder. It's what I'd like to do anyways, so I don't mind the jump I just hope someone will give me that chance to show what I can do.
The way this usually works is between you and your significant other, only one gets to do what they like while the other does what they have to and bring home the bacon.

System Name Baxter
Processor Intel i7-5775C @ 4.2 GHz 1.35 V
Motherboard ASRock Z97-E ITX/AC
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3 with Noctua NF-A12 fan
Memory 16 GB 2400 MHz CL11 HyperX Savage DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black @ 1950 MHz
Storage 1 TB Sabrent Rocket 2242 NVMe SSD (boot), 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO, and 4TB Toshiba X300 7200 RPM HDD
Display(s) Vizio P65-F1 4KTV (4k60 with HDR or 1080p120)
Case Raijintek Ophion
Audio Device(s) HDMI PCM 5.1, Vizio 5.1 surround sound
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum 600 W SFX PSU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G613 and Microsoft Media Keyboard
You should probably put a year in at your current company, just as a matter of not looking flakey on your resume. Also, it may be that at the end of that year you're actually working on good projects. I would also work on your interview skills and treat the meetings about working on a project like applying for a job, even though you already have one. If you aren't representing your skills well, then you may never find a project and they'll kick you out anyway.

As for the money, if it's within 10% then you could make that up with a raise within a year. It's definitely important you don't burn out. But I would be patient until the year is up, and then you'll have a clear conscience and a good reason for leaving.

System Name Wut?
Processor 3900X
Cooling Water
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Display(s) 3440 x 1440
Which is OK, considering my weakness are t-sql queries.

Ah good ole T-SQL. Land of Sub-queries, ROW_NUMBER() OVER ( PARTITION BY ... ), and STUFF()

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Motherboard MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + Second Fan
Memory G.Skill 64GB @3200MHz XMP
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix RTX 3090 24GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus; 2TB Corsair Force MP600; 2TB Samsung PM981a
Display(s) Dell U4320Q; LG 43MU79-B
Case Corsair A540
Audio Device(s) Creative Lab SoundBlaster ZX-R
Power Supply EVGA G2 1300
Mouse Logitech MK550
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum XT Brown Switches
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 - 6910; FireStrike Ultra - 13241; TimeSpy Extreme - 10067; Port Royal - 13855
Very good. Seems like you do have the backing of upper management, which is more than most people can ask for. Your position seems safe for at least 3 more months. If I were you, I would stay there for at least a year, or maybe two, which is the minimal time frame for people to change jobs. What you can do for the next 3 months - forget about creating any app that is irrelevant with your work. Concentrate how you can improve your skills that pertain to your current job. From what I can tell your company does contract work for a lot of large corporations. For large corporations many of their apps were written in WPF, so I would definitely up your skills in WPF. WPF is a tough skill to master. Poke around github and get some application ideas, then create your own version of the application.

However, do keep in mind, Microsoft is moving to UWP. WPF eventually will be phased out but it won't be for many years. UWP would be a skill set to learn on your spare time after the 3 months period.

Think about how you at this point of your career that you want to move up. I want to share this with you - http://mattbriggs.net/blog/2015/06/01/the-role-of-a-senior-developer/

Honestly, it is an exciting time to be a developer. There are so many open source projects, so many great new tools to learn!

System Name Epsilon
Cooling Stock
Case Generic
Software Windows 10
System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
I'll toss my opinion in to the ring...

Considering the percentage of Hydro electricity in Uruguay(Last check it was over 95%) and the fact that you mentioned it is a state owned endeavor. "If it was me" I would immediately take the position if it was a government backed Hydro Concern and your government doesn't have a policy of firing employees during recessions/depressions. I wouldn't be worrying myself with how much I was making...I'd be more worried about not having a position at all. I say this because your poverty levels we're more than 1/3 of your population just 20 years ago's(during the Banking Crisis) and could easily surpass that level in a real downturn. Again, if it was me...I also would not have my savings in the Peso. U.S. Dollars would be my top choice. I'd avoid metals*...at all costs.

I say this because of the asset bubbles that are apparent all throughout South America(and most of the world) are showing signs of teetering over the edge. While Uruguay is stronger than a few of it's neighbors(and known to be a safe banking haven), during large downturns there will be no countries that get hit harder than South American countries. Many of these markets have expanded 10x or better since the asset bubble was not allowed to be fully unwound in 2000 and again in 2008/9. 29 trillion in green shoots will only carry you so far.

Again...from my perspective...I'd be planning a multi-decade downturn into my own personal career plans if I lived in Uruguay(or the US).

Best Regards,

Liquid Cool

*initially